Getting into football mode is hard

Kentucky basketball is hogging all of the attention after its absolute dominance in the Bahamas a week ago. The upcoming season is the first thing UK fans think about when they wake up in the morning and the last thing they think about when they go to bed at night. Some even sleep in Tyler Herro pajamas.

But the basketball team has since gone home to their families and Big Blue Madness is two long months away, so it’s time we do our best to put basketball aside for moment. It’s not easy because they looked so awesome, but it must be done.

Because it’s football season.

Tomorrow, Mark Stoops’ football team will hold its second Saturday scrimmage of fall camp and it’s very important things go well. Stoops was very disappointed in the first scrimmage, so his Cats need to come out energetic and enthusiastic in Round 2 tomorrow.

And maybe even more important than that: the team needs to find its quarterback. Right now it is a fight between Gunnar Hoak and Terry Wilson, and if one of the two can shine in tomorrow’s scrimmage, they’ll be in position to earn the job (maybe by next week). With little time between now and the first game of the year, the battle will be won in the days ahead.

I know we all want to keep talking about Sophomore Nick Richards and Tyler Herro and the Duke game that’s being billed as the best season opener of all time and all the other exciting things about basketball, but we have some exciting football right in front of our faces. The football season is upon us and it too has the potential to be special.

Let’s. Go.

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Getting into football mode is hard

1. vkcjsf34
    5:51 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

*sigh* I for one am excited for Sept. 1 and have been counting down the days since last December. Go CATS!

2. bailey000
    6:17 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

Same here. When we were 2-10 back to back years I was still ready for football.

3. bailey000
    6:17 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

Drew must have played soccer back in the day

4. bailey000
    6:18 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I know y’all read comments I bet some coworkers enjoy that one

5. 2blues
    6:26 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m excited for the upcoming football season. I love Coach Stoops. But for the football team to take the spotlight from basketball they have to WiN Games. Coach Stoops is staring His sixth year as our Coach. We’ve got a good coach and staff, Great facilities, better talent than we’ve had in awhile. It’s time for UK Football to rise up kick ass, prove the doubter wrong. 8 Wins

6. USMC5150
    6:28 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m football mode year round!

7. cats646
    6:45 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

It’s football time in the bluegrass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Cincy Cayt
    7:49 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

Just wait until that first Saturday and you’ll get there

9. goose2
    7:49 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

Im excited for football seanson too. It must just be you Drew.lol

10. JoeBee
    8:09 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m very excited about UK football starting.

11. KYChris
    8:22 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I guess I’m in the minority when I say I can wait for basketball. It’s UK football season. Go Cats!

• cats646
      9:42 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m right there with ya!!

• BlueDiz
      10:05 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

I love UK sports. Basketball has evolved into something I no longer recognize. I cannot tell you the names of the team players. If you tell me their names I don’t know which year they played, other than the national championship team. On the other hand I know the UK football team into the two deep. Yes, I’m going to Gainesville and beyond. Go Cats, all of them.

12. katmandue2you
    8:46 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

Drew I love ya but I freakin hate the KSR disposition toward UK football. Why you guys (and Matt and Tyler have a history too) have to bastardize UK Football I’ll never know. Hell the basketball teams success fires me up even more for football!!! CAUSE IM A KENTUCKY FAN! Here’s an idea…find a human interest story about a UK football player and write about that instead of telling us when D Booker last took a crap

• ClutchCargo
      9:36 am August 18, 2018 Permalink

13. kjd
    11:00 pm August 17, 2018 Permalink

Well, Drew, it’s your post. So talk football. Basketball comes later.

14. satcheluk
    7:21 am August 18, 2018 Permalink

I only care about football until the Duke game, then I’ll care about basketball for one day, and back to only caring about football until the season ends.

15. katmandue2you
    9:27 am August 18, 2018 Permalink

I care about both all the time. The point is that the powers that be at KSR have a way of making UK Football it’s whipping boy from time to time and there’s no need for it

16. CB3UK
    10:15 am August 18, 2018 Permalink

Ill care about basketball in late January and the handful of games that are worthwhile preceding. Meanwhile there are 7 days until college football, 21 to NFL, and we count down the days all summer. Absolutely terrible article. Get a clue.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:17 am August 18, 2018 Permalink

Wow, I guess you are just a way more awesome person since you like football more than basketball apparently! Congrats on your amazing tastes! We should all strive to be more like you, oh great one!

17. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:15 am August 18, 2018 Permalink

I totally agree with Drew. If you like the sport of basketball more than you like the sport of football then it is hard to focus on football now that we have had a nice taste of basketball. I personally don’t like the sport of football that much anymore…so I guess according to most people here that makes me a clueless, terrible UK fan! I guess those same critics are super excited that it is women’s soccer season and think that if anyone isn’t excited for women’s soccer they must not be a true UK fan!

18. ClutchCargo
    1:47 pm August 18, 2018 Permalink

Whatchu is awfully defensive, for some reason. The whole point of the criticism is that a whole lot of us can enjoy more than one sport at a time. Especially when the actual football season is right around the corner.