Garrett Johnson is a “special player”

@si_ncaafb

I know other things are weighing on your mind right now — like, missed opportunities and losing a game to an inferior opponent — but let’s take a second to appreciate Garrett Johnson’s one-handed grab.

Juice got loose down the sideline and somehow hauled in this improbable catch with an Auburn defender smothering him.

Johnson caught nine passes for 160 yards in the game. Mark Stoops called him a “special player.”

@UKFootball

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Garrett Johnson is a “special player”

1. Katya
    11:31 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

If only he had a good QB throwing to him, imagine how much better his amazing stats would look then.

• Animaluk86
      11:43 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Seriously??? Towels threw for damn near 400 yards, I’ll admit he made 2 mistakes with the wrong read in the end zone for the INT and trying to be a hero and failing on the last play. Besides that very solid game from Towels, dropped passes was the problem tonight. Big shout out to the defense in the second half!

• Katya
      11:45 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Towles is trash. We have wide outs who are potential NFL players, they’re why he looks good on paper. Anybody watching a game can see he couldn’t start for a Sun Belt team.

• Animaluk86
      11:58 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Well IF one of our potential NFL players catches a back shoulder catch in the end zone we win by 1 or IF our defense stops the run or IF this or IF that everyone is singing a different tune… People like you make UK’s real life long fans look bad, it’s a team game. Lay off the kid, he’s our best option at the moment and played a damn good game for the most part. I believe in Barker and he’ll get his chance. If you know so much why aren’t you the head coach???

2. It hit them in a bad place
    11:38 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Yes, that was a good catch. How about throwing to just him and Bone? The rest of the receivers and backs couldn’t catch a cold.

3. Bubba Bailey
    11:57 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

As a UK fan, I take offense to the “losing to an inferior opponent” comment. Since when in the history of the SEC has UK played an “inferior team”? EKU ( the team UK almost lost to this season) was an “inferior team”. A down year for Auburn is not an inferior team to UK. You’re either drunk or your sense of mind has been warped by all this self-generated hype.

4. Wide Reciever Fan
    12:46 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Garrett Johnson is clearly my favorite player on this year’s team.

When I went to the game tonight. I put my eyes only on Garrett Johnson all night long and on every single offensive play. He had a great game with 9 catches for 160 yards. But what bothers me is how WIDE OPEN HE GETS ON THE OPEN FIELD and the quarterback cannot see him. Garret’s talents clearly emerged during the Louisiana-Lafayette and Missouri game along with tonight’s game.

Garrett reminds me of the legendary Stevie Johnson who played for UK and is currently playing for the San Diego Chargers in the NFL…The future of UK Football is brighter with Garrett Johnson.

5. ibescootch
    2:30 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I love the one-handed catches, I really do. But it kind of reminds me of when you’re playing ball at the blue courts and there’s one guy on your team who hits a 3 on the first play of the game, so every play after that he just jacks it up, because that first 3 is his standard.

I’ve watched Johnson carefully on other catches, and while he’s had 2 or 3 other one-handed grabs this season that are spectacular, I’ve also seen him try to catch the ball one-handed at least two other times and drop it. Each time, he’s had another hand available seemingly. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t want to see us lose a huge game because he went for the glory catch, instead of the sure two-handed grab.