Horrible, horrible news out of Lexington this afternoon.

A four-year-old boy is currently at the UK Chandler Hospital fighting for his life after he was struck by a car on Cooper Drive near Kroger Field at the end of Kentucky’s victory today.

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, Lexington police Sgt. Stephen Yoder confirmed the child was hit by 18-year old Jacob R. Heil, who has been arrested for driving under the influence.

The report claims the child was hit while he and his family were waiting at a crosswalk on Cooper. Yoder  said the car might have “veered off the road a little bit” to make impact, a hit that has resulted in life-threatening injuries for the young boy.

No one else was injured in the tragic accident. We will keep you updated as the story develops.

(Herald-Leader)

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

62 Comments for Four-year-old boy fighting for his life after being hit outside of Kroger Field today

1. east-ky-boy
    5:19 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Prayers for this boy

2. A_Blue_Wildcat
    5:28 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Every football game I go to there are hundreds of underage college kids drinking while tailgating. Most aren’t stupid enough to drive, but as we saw today this is the outcome of this behavior and unfortunately no one cares enough to actually stop it.

• CombatMedic_98
      6:27 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Shouldn’t be allowed…zero tolerance in my AO…! Society seems to look away nowadays…! Sad and true.

3. 82wildcatgolf
    5:43 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Keep us posted Jack. Prayers up.

4. bhb71
    5:43 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I guarantee you this was a frat pledge.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      7:26 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

You’re an idiot… this is a seriously tragic matter that YOU try and poke fun of… otherwise you are simply an idiot.

• bhb71
      7:58 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I wasn’t poking fun, I’m sick over this, and I know for a fact that pledges get ordered to drive around their frat brothers when they have no business doing so. My roommate freshman year drove guys around while drunk and while concussed from hazing and I told him he was going to get someone killed.

• bhb71
      8:17 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

To clarify, the hazing involved being hit in the head as punishment for answering a question wrong.

Obviously it’s very likely it wasn’t a pledge and was just your average dumb freshman that either had a major lapse in judgment or didn’t think of people other than himself, but personally the first thing I thought of when I saw the details of the accident was my roommate passing out after driving a car full of guys.

• zoupman
      7:10 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

You don’t know shit

5. bhb71
    5:46 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I’m physically sick about this. I can’t imagine how that poor family is holding it together.

• JTHinton
      6:20 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I can’t even begin to say how much this angers me; somebody needs to convince people that alcohol isn’t necessary to enjoy a sporting event, because this, and other alcohol-related deaths, happen way to often.

Needless to say that I am praying for the child and for the teenager, that if he may become a changed man if he ever gets out of prison…

• USMC5150
      7:09 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I agree! I drink but I don’t need to be intoxicated to have fun at a football game.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      7:28 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think anyone said the guy NEEDED to drink to have fun..?

6. Kat4Life
    5:55 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Prayers for him

7. The Real LindaS
    6:00 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know if this young man was at the game or not. BUT there is a reason UK banned alcohol many years ago…I believe there was a fatal accident after another game involving some UK students.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      9:05 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

If they allowed drinking at the games people wouldn’t binge drink as much before the game to try to keep a buzz on for the whole game. Also, banning alcohol from a game has nothing to do with this. An 18 year-old wouldn’t be able to buy alcohol at a game anyway.

8. Walter White
    6:03 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Unfortunately he has passed away. I hope they throw the book at the 18 yr old

• blueblue
      11:12 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

Walter White. Thanks for the update even though it’s sad news. Just wondering. Just wondering. It’s now the morning after this tragic event and none of the news outlets have reported an update on the boy’s condition. Do you know the family?

• Batsell
      6:23 pm September 16, 2018 Permalink

A day has passed and still no word, wondering myself about where WW got the info? I’m hoping like hell he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and the child is hanging on! Nothing against WW, just hope he’s wrong.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      7:07 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Why the F would you say that you POS!?

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      7:08 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

WW aka POS is completely making it up #BBN

9. bigbluebanana
    6:13 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

My god, I’d honestly trade my own life for this boy to come back. Any parent knows there is no pain like this, there is no coming back. This 18 yo made a stupid mistake that not only forever altered the lives of those close to the 4 yo, but his own as well. I’m crying in my office. Prayers for this young boy…if you believe in heaven, it just gained an angel.

• mashburnfan1
      12:03 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

feel the same, wish it would have been me hit instead of a 4 year old if someone had to be hit today. Disagree with you on the mistake part, he could have planned ahead. Don’t know if the guy was at the game, probably not, but anyone who goes to over drink and not prepare ahead of time is a fool. Make the punishment tougher, is almost a premditated act. I know he did not intend to kill but making no plans means he intended to put all at risk.

10. BluKudzu
    6:15 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

This is as bad as it gets.

I hope for a full recovery, and the book thrown at the immature, under age, self centered 18 year old, as well as everybody involved, in providing the alcohol and not stepping up, to stop him from from driving.

Just hate this and feel so bad for the parents of the child.

11. Jiminy Crickets
    6:20 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Both families lost a child today. The 18yo with college dreams and ambitions with spend majority of productive years in jail, and the 4yo never got a chance

• DelrayCat
      6:52 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Someone convicted of DUI manslaughter in KY typically spends 6-8 years in prison…more if he’s black or indigent. If this kid’s parents have money…he may spend no more than 4.

• Dragon
      9:08 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Ur an idiot

• TPACAT
      10:09 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

“More if he’s black”… Yeah, keep propagating the myth, there Delray.

• satcheluk
      1:25 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

He’s right. My senior thesis was on criminal justice reform and income, social status and race all were significant factors on sentencing.

12. CombatMedic_98
    6:28 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Whoever or however he had access to alcohol should be charged as well!

• blueblue
      8:02 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure that will be a very integral part of the investigation. If they can determine who’s responsible, then that person should, and likely will, face some serious charges as well!!

13. KYcats11
    6:32 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Prayers

14. ukcats1776.90
    6:48 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

probably a pledge who was forced to drive after being forced to go to a tailgate

15. ukcats1776.90
    7:00 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

pledges are both forced to drink and drive unless they want to get balled. u obviously were never a pledge

16. walden
    7:16 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Why can’t people just drink one or two and be done? Will never understand…

17. philbo
    7:19 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

No words are adequate. Heartbreaking.

18. (Aixelsyd)0505
    7:32 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

Praying for this horrible situation. Bad luck on both sides, very stupid on driver side tho and deserves what he gets

19. playmorezeppelin
    7:42 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

People wake up in the morning and suspect to have nothing but a normal day, only to suffer the worst day of their life. Nothing can erase this day for the child’s family, but a full recovery will be enough to make up for it.

20. Alleykat16
    8:30 pm September 15, 2018 Permalink

I pray for this family of this young boy, and I pray that the police find out how this 18 year old got intoxicated and bring charges against them also. Please let’s come together and send our prayers to this family

• mashburnfan1
      12:07 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

Would like to see UK have something next week so we can donate to this childs family. Place should be packed so would be a good night and good way for BBN to help its own members through this tough situation. Maybe even have a huge card for BBN to sign

21. Paw
    12:19 am September 16, 2018 Permalink

Why do you Drama Queens do this? I’m praying for both families and the young man who made a terrible mistake.

• Shively1978
      6:11 pm September 16, 2018 Permalink

A mistake is misspelling a word or dropping a pass in a football game. Drinking and driving is not a mistake. If this soft country where harder on people like they should be it be 25 to life without parole.

22. DerBaron
    4:50 pm September 16, 2018 Permalink

Any word on the child’s condition?

23. CombatMedic_98
    5:33 pm September 16, 2018 Permalink

So, anyone agree it’s a good idea to make Kroger Stadium a place to buy n sell alcohol…?! I thought there was enough of that in the parking lots!

• satcheluk
      1:28 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Studies show that stadiums that serve alcohol have less alcohol related crimes, due to less binge drinking.

24. BeastAtom
    6:09 am September 17, 2018 Permalink

As of now he’s still fighting for his life (according to WKYT). Hoping and praying the little guy pulls through.

25. (Aixelsyd)0505