Former Wildcats are scattered around sidelines across the state. For three former football players, it’s their first time suiting up as coaches.
Wide receiver La’Rod King started his career at North Hardin before he caught passes at the University of Kentucky between 2009-12. This year he’s coaching the pass-catchers at Louisville’s DeSales High School. The Colts open the season on the road at St. X.
Two other players are returning to their former stomping grounds. Cole Mosier helped Boom Williams and Benny Snell each rush for 1,00 yards in 2016 before an ACL injury ended his UK career prematurely. Now the offensive tackle is back at Walton-Verona High School, who hosts Lloyd Memorial tonight in Northern Kentucky.
Running back Alfonso Smith spent five years in the NFL after playing for Rich Brooks. This year is his first on the sidelines at Waggener High School
“It feels good to be back home,” Smith told WLKY. “Even with all the accolades… Even with them inducting me in the Hall of Fame, I didn’t bring a football championship here, and it eats at me, even when I was playing in Arizona and playing for the 49ers.”
UK Football Recruits in Action
- 6:00: Lexington Catholic (Beau Allen) at Pulaski County
- 7:30: Bryan Station at Frederick Douglass (Jager Burton)
- 7:30: South Oldham at CAL (John Young)
- 7:30: Floyd Central at Male (Izayah Cummings)
- Saturday at 5:00: Butler (Jordan Watkins) vs. South Warren at WKU
- Saturday at 8:00: Bowling Green (Vito Tisdale) vs. Nashville Father Ryan at WKU
- Saturday at 5:30: North Hardin (Octavious Oxendine, Lavell Wright) vs. Waggener at Fairdale