Former UK Center Max Godby Pens a Letter for Downtrodden Fans

KY Forward

Kentucky football has once again found a way to break our hearts.  For some, it might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.  Former UK center Max Godby wants fans to pump the brakes before jumping ship.

The Louisville native walked-on to the football team in 2010.  A relentless hard worker, he earned a starting spot and a scholarship for his final two seasons of football.   Godby understands what it takes to be a Kentucky football player, but he’s not sure fans do.

When have we, the fans, become the emperor watching gladiators and people beneath us compete only for our entitled amusement? Can we remember these are eighteen to twenty-three year olds? Are we truly going to let something that happens on a painted, plastic field dictate our happiness and joy in life? I love winning more than anyone, but we need to look at the heart. It’s a game played by college students. The sun still rises, and life goes on.

I understand there is an economic investment in tickets, gear, tailgating and travel. Please, know my heart as I write this letter. I know there is an emotional connection as well, but it has always made me flinch to hear fans tell me how invested they are into this football program. They tell me how they are “All In.” BBN, if you are truly invested in this football program and want to see the team compete and win, you would not be writing the things that you are writing. You would not be saying the words that you are saying at work. If you are truly invested in this team, you will not abandon them.

Godby was there for the worst of the worst: Joker Phillips’ final season.  We remember giving up on the team.  He had to play through it.

The season started with great fan support and a sea of blue at Commonwealth Stadium. By November against Vandy, there were less than 15,000 fans in the stands. That takes a toll on a player, mentally, physically and emotionally.

The loss hurts now, but don’t let it determine the outcome of the rest of the season.

Read Godby’s Letter from Cameron Mills Radio

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

22 Comments for Former UK Center Max Godby Pens a Letter for Downtrodden Fans

1. tippytoe
    7:08 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Over/under 15,000 for next home game?

2. runningunnin.454
    7:13 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

OUCH, that hurt. He’s got a point.

3. BLUEsky
    7:18 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Great letter Max. The overwhelming majority of UK FB fans are with you on your assessment I believe. Some need a reality check. It is important for the guys on the team to be able to tune out the negativity because there will always be negative influences in our lives. As the older guys like me say, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

4. inside info2
    7:42 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Most of the players are good guys and deserve the best. But I guarantee you if the Vandy game had been a sellout crowd there to “support the players” Barnhart would’ve kept Joker. This isn’t Little League. It cost me money to set up my tailgating gear Saturday. The tickets cost money (although I did get them at a discount). The only way I have to get through to Barnhart is with my money. That is what D-1 college football and basketball are all about.

I am sorry it effects the players though.

5. 3 fan
    8:06 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Sorry if it affects the players. However I watched little effort in the second half Saturday. Players affect the crowd also

This may be a game but it’s huge $$$. Pay for season tickets, parking, food, clothing, concessions, etc and you will see. The fans have every right to feel like they feel and to act like they act.

• WeareBBN
      10:19 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

agree, I hated seeing the guys on D waving their arms asking for noise all half, how about making a dang tackle or catching an easy int and you will hear us. We will respond when you DO something. Each game cost me about $500 as I come form East of Columbus Ohio. Have season tix and love my C-A-T-S but quit asking for cheers, make us cheer or show some effort. There was one snap where we were still on our knees. That 2nd half was the most disappointed I have ever been in UK Football and I sat through a 70-0 loss at the swamp. Oline is horrible-AGAIN- and Dline is average with no depth. That is a combination for a long season. I had optimism as I heard all spring that the Oline is so much better, well it is not.

6. Kyblue34
    8:10 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sure there is any other school in the country that would continue to draw this many fans to watch terrible football over several years while spending excessive amounts on tickets, parking, food, etc. With this ongoing debacle, the coaches and players should consider themselves fortunate that any fans show up at all. Some schools like Vandy have to beg fans to come even though they’ve been better than we have the past several years. Heck, UofL has had some very good teams, and they still have to give away significant amounts of tickets to fill up their stadium. The team had basically 100% of fan support this past Saturday, and it didn’t do a lick of good. A fan can only take so much mediocrity. The coaches and players need to take a look at themselves in the mirror and ask where is the effort, and stop whining about fan support.

7. largebluej
    8:24 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

No disrespect to Max, but it is bullshit to call out out UK football fans for disappointing results on the field, this season or anytime in the last 40-50 years. I’ve heard it before, even from great players like Randall Cobb. I’m an alum and have had season tickets for 30 years, and I’ve been to a lot of road game too, so I’m well-versed in bad football. The last two games are about as low as it gets, which is really saying something. The fans aren’t the ones playing, coaching, or hiring/firing coaches. We aren’t the ones needing a look in the mirror.

8. Tubby98
    8:53 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

been “all in” for 4 plus decades; I’m done..

9. iRaB
    9:12 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

“When have we, the fans, become the emperor watching gladiators and people beneath us compete only for our entitled amusement?”

Being a little over dramatic there, why should we have sporting events at all? According to that remark we shouldn’t.

“Can we remember these are eighteen to twenty-three year olds?”

Yes, all fans SHOULD remember that. The vile stuff being slung around on Twitter at these kids IS inexcusable. I might get upset but I won’t go after a kid.

“Are we truly going to let something that happens on a painted, plastic field dictate our happiness and joy in life?”

I get what he is saying here but he obviously hasn’t been to some parts in this state. In Eastern Kentucky some of the older folk, all they’ve got is the basketball and football teams. While it is a small portion of the fanbase, the players have to remember they are only here for a few years and while I know some come back and keep connections, the fans are the ones who are always around through all the bad and the good we’ve had.

“I love winning more than anyone, but we need to look at the heart. It’s a game played by college students. The sun still rises, and life goes on.”

There was tons of heart in this first half. Where did it go in the second half? The team just came out with no energy and no plan. Like deer in headlights.

“I understand there is an economic investment in tickets, gear, tailgating and travel. Please, know my heart as I write this letter. I know there is an emotional connection as well, but it has always made me flinch to hear fans tell me how invested they are into this football program.”

Again, you are here for a few years. The fans were here before you and after you. This is Kentucky. We take pride in our football and basketball teams. We love our sports. I’m glad he wasn’t a basketball player, might have scared him away since basketball is borderline a religion here.

“They tell me how they are “All In.” BBN, if you are truly invested in this football program and want to see the team compete and win, you would not be writing the things that you are writing. You would not be saying the words that you are saying at work.”

Yes, the ones saying stuff to the players are despicable people. The worst I say is the team sucks. There’s no reason to go after the kids, hell, even the coaches. Saying they aren’t good at their job is one thing but name calling and threats are uncalled for.

“If you are truly invested in this team, you will not abandon them.”

If I have an investment in something and it doesn’t show a good return and just keeps losing year, after year, after year (the team) the smart thing to do would be to cut my loses (coaching staff). I might pay a penalty ($12 million) but at least I can move on and try something else (new staff).

10. Big Blue Shawn
    9:25 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

I see his point but I respectfully disagree .

11. Bro Ken Leggage
    9:29 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Cliff’s Notes Bullet points are welcome – with bottom line preferred.

The product is crap.

This was SO MISS was a win-win situation: if we win, we win. If we lose – St. OOPS is fired = we win. Y
    es, we rebuild- but get a proven coach…..NOT some chump that’s related to good coaches (but sucks).

It is as if we are being paid royallly to suck.

• stoopstroops
      10:31 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Please feel free to come up with a few “proven coaches” that’s going to come Coach at Kentucky. I’m a season ticket holder and have been for many years, this is not a “I’m done” moment for me, this is a show your true colors as a fan moment. I’ve been a true blue fan from day 1 and I’m not stopping anytime soon. For the fans that want to jump ship, jump, please, and when we get 7-8 wins in the future please don’t come back.

• WeareBBN
      11:32 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

If a dining place has terrible food, how many times do you keep going there to eat? Yes we need to support the team but after all the product needs to be worth the time, money and effort for us fans. It is a great time to go to the games, am a proud season tix holder, yet still at some point the product needs to be worth it. There are places I don’t eat at because the food is terrible, this game left a bad taste in my mouth and after much more of that I will stop going. This was So Miss, not Bama, OSU that we played. At this point we should at least be able to block vs this team, open running lanes vs this team. They sure as heck did that against us…..TWO 100 yard rushers. O and D line is not good and we can’t win in the SEC without it, or even vs So Miss.

12. KYcats11
    9:33 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Cmon bbn, quit leaving in the middle of the game, since you put “so much money” into the program. I’ll start feeling sorry for you all when you stay the full dang game. Perhaps, the real cause for the money you wasted is the fact that you stayed for 30 minutes.

• KYcats11
      9:34 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Don’t go at all if you are not gonna stay for the full game, or give your tickets who someone that will.

• stoopstroops
      10:34 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Agree. Its the most annoying thing when I set around people that show up halfway through the first quarter, complain until halftime and leave. The players and coaches should be feed up with those “fans” that have that behavior not the other way around.

• BluKudzu
      11:04 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

I wish UK football fans would not be so negative as well. 7 years of a poorly managed program, you get what you get. Who wants to watch your team keep getting its brains beat in every game they play. Who wants to be the laughing stock of Kentucky football teams, let alone the SEC? This is what we get for our continued support? Sorry your feelings are hurt, but we are numb from the horrible job the AD has done, as well as the coaches.

13. UKBlueGreen
    10:54 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

I’ll be there. The first half was great. Tighten up the defensive line in the second half.

14. tlwood43
    11:20 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Max’s letter was written (really well, I might add) from a player’s perspective. That’s exactly zero percent surprising. He was a player. I have unending respect for all they go through to play that brutal game for UK.
    But as a fan, ultimately I do watch for entertainment.
    Sadly, this isn’t fun to watch anymore. I’ve done it for decades now, and at this point I know Lucy is never going to stop pulling the ball away.
    I’m not calling for anyone to be fired. And I don’t think there’s ever an excuse to reach out to the players in a negative way. I just know know that for the limited number of relaxation hours I have on the weekend, investing in UK football hasn’t proven to be wise. I hope it will be one day. Really I do.

• CPACAT
      10:20 am September 6, 2016 Permalink

tlwood43, that is the best comment to sum up the way I feel. I started watching UK football as a 10 year old during the 1976 Peach Bowl season and have followed ardently, for 40 seasons, ever since. For every LSU upset or “Stevie got Loose” moment, there have been 20 (or maybe 30) So. Miss moments. It borders on insanity to think that this will ever change. As you so eloquently put it, Lucy always pulls the ball away, ALWAYS!