FootballScoop.com says Gran “strongly considering” staying at UK

FootballScoop.com, arguably the best website on the entire internet for following coaching searches around college football, has confirmed our own report that Eddie Gran has an offer on the table to become the next offensive coordinator under head coach Kirby Smart at Georgia. But in a new update on its story, Football Scoop says Gran was “strongly considering remaining at Kentucky” as of this morning. However, a final decision has not been made either way.

If Gran does remain at Kentucky, it will be a huge win for the program. Yes, Gran has his critics, but continuity is important among the staff and for a young quarterback like Terry Wilson. The last thing we need to see is that offense start back over with yet another new offensive coordinator.

It would also be pretty awesome for a UK assistant to turn down a job at a national contender like Georgia to stay in Lexington. If you had told me a few years ago that any UK assistant would turn down a million dollars at Georgia to stay with Kentucky then I would’ve said that person should be locked away in an insane asylum. Now it could be a reality.

Gran Watch is on high alert.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for FootballScoop.com says Gran “strongly considering” staying at UK

1. Realme
    4:24 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Next head coach Drew? Proofread a little maybe.

• Drew Franklin
      4:29 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

That’s what I get for speed typing when slow and steady wins the race. My bad.

• Realme
      4:33 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

We’ve seen worse. 🙂

• Duff86
      4:34 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Realme, you really needed that clarified? Turn your f’n brain on and get past a little typo.

• bwise
      4:45 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

You ksr dickriders are comical….drew didn’t ask you to be a body guard buddy.

• Realme
      4:35 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Yeah Duff I was SO confused. Thought he really meant to type head coach.

2. Ranch
    4:24 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Think you mean as OC not Head Coach

3. loservilletard
    4:24 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

I say BS, Not only is Gran not being considered for the head job at Georgia, Georgia already has a head coach, and he is smart enough t o get a much better OC than Gran.

• CATandMONKEY
      4:54 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Wrong.

• Skooms
      5:28 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

It’s pretty obvious by your name, that ANYTHING you think is wrong.

4. bwise
    4:25 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Yea it took the LA rams a long time to get better after getting rid of Jeff Fischer…you’re right…let’s keep riding the gran wave that has never produced a good offense and for sure didn’t show improvement last year. He’s had the greatest rb of all of uks history and couldn’t average over 17 pts a game in sec play last year. You’re right Drew. You’re right…………………get outta here Eddie you bum.

• MrPioneer
      4:33 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

We better listen to bwise, you guys. His 4 years of JV high school football really give him the expertise much of us wish we had. Get back to wiping the Dorito dust off your keyboard.

• bwise
      4:41 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Doritos? Ha good one little girl

• MrPioneer
      4:49 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Didn’t deny the JV part. Thanks for confirming!

• bwise
      5:11 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Yawn….you trying to date one of the guys from ksr? And if you disagree why don’t you state why you disagree? 17 pts a game buddy. 17.

• runningunnin.454
      5:12 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

The 2nd place rusher in UK history, Sonny Collins, held the rushing record for over 40 years.
      The combined record during his four years was 16-27; two of those years we averaged 12 pts/game.
      Gran did somewhat better than that.

• ClutchCargo
      5:18 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

rg, you are now the proud owner of bwise. lol

• Skooms
      5:29 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for playing BWise. Would you like a participation trophy?

• bwise
      6:36 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

What a terrible attempt at an insult lol

5. UKfansNKY
    4:29 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Please STAY Coach Gran despite what all the DA say!!!

6. Duuuuuude
    4:30 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

It would say a lot about the program if Gran rejects GA. Means Stoops is staying longer. Could be used in recruiting…..that the coaches so believe in their trajectory that they don’t want to leave so the kids should come here also. If Gran stays, it is a great sign!

• ClutchCargo
      4:40 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Agree. Him leaving wouldn’t have exactly the opposite effect, but it wouldn’t be good.

7. Logic_Prevails
    4:31 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

$1.1m is not a huge raise over the $850k~ he is paid now. It should be easy to match. If he does take the job then UK should go hard to get Coley from UGA to replace him here. Coley is a better recruiter and can coach RBs. Hinshaw takes over as full-time OC for continuity.

• Realme
      4:34 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

I thought he and Hinshaw were a package deal. That’s how it was when they cam ehere.

8. Bigblue7982
    4:31 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Now that our defense won’t be as good next year time for gran to show up and do good next year.

9. lecantrell
    4:41 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like he will be getting a major raise in the near future to stay at UK

10. cats646
    4:45 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Idk. I’ve been so pissed at Eddie for so long that it’s hard for me to say this, if it is stoops holding him back, then Stoops needs to step the fuk back and let Gran do his thing. But is its not Stoops then good riddance Gran. For our teams sake though I hope that I’ve been wrong this whole time and Gran is a great OC and stoops lets him run it his way next year. We shall see.

11. J. Did
    5:00 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

As much as I’d prefer he stay, that’s me being selfish.

This is a golden opportunity for Eddie Gran.

Carpe potestatem!

12. Gus Chiggins
    5:04 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

I’ve heard Athens is wonderful this time of year

13. BigBogee
    5:14 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Stoops is holding him back most of the time. Look at his offense from when he was at UC. Two total different looks, bit the same guy. That tells me whose to blame.

14. J. Did
    5:18 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

If I were Eddie Gran – and I’m sure he or his agent have done this – I’d call former UGA OC Jim Chaney and ask him about his 3 years working for Kirby Smart. On it’s face, it appears Chaney left for more money. His game plan in Lex tore us a new one. So, I’d want to know what was the ‘work place’ environment is like? If Chaney was seeking an increase in pay, Kirby didn’t think he was worth it. Eddie Gran has to weigh and balance.

15. KYCat4EVER
    5:26 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

I think MARVIN LEWIS tried the same Reverse Psychology and it worked: Mike Brown kept him 15-16 seasons without a playoff win! LOL

Somebody buy Gran a bus ticket before Georgia gets smart, and we lose our ONLY potential advantage over the head to head match up against Georgia next year!

• Skooms
      5:33 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

I won’t buy Gran a ticket, but I’ll dip into savings to buy you a first class plane ticket to ANYWHERE not in KY.

• KYCat4EVER
      6:06 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

“Most people without STYLE …are envious of those who have it”

16. bigbluebanana
    5:45 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Am I misreading the link to the article? Doesn’t it say that MJ is still the source???

Also, doesn’t it say that their sources have talked to Georgia staff and while they can confirm Gran has been talked to, that the word “offer” is strong???

17. UKCatAttack
    5:47 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

Drew the article you linked literally cites Matt Jones as their source and says per their sources Gran has been contacted but “offer is a bit overstated.” May want to update this story.

18. Wade
    5:56 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

If he stays when most of us want him gone and he burns ga , all I can say is wow! We have arrived but My bet it’s hinshaw that keep him here unless ga offers him a spot which hinshaw may be a good get since I don’t think ga has a dual threat qb like us and that’s what he thrives on. Either way we are setup good for next yr!

19. big cat
    5:58 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

He’s STAYING Drew. Now, go pick Matt’s nose whistle and come back with a real article next time.

20. CopenhagenCat
    9:34 pm January 10, 2019 Permalink

I really thought Wilson would improve at the end of the year but lets me honest the play calling was awful. They would run run run. Then expect Wilson to make a great pass on 3rd and 12 while running for his life. And then everyone says Wilson sucks. Gran plays to conservative. Thats what drives me nuts. Defense and a good rb what made Gran look good.