FootballRumorMill.com says Stoops is Michigan’s backup if Harbaugh says no

I’ll be honest: before today, I hadn’t heard of FootballRumorMill.com. To me, it sounds like FootballScoop.com’s copycat little brother, but the site has 43,000 Twitter followers, so it must be doing something right. Today, they released an update on Michigan’s coaching search in which David Phillips cites a source that suggests Mark Stoops is the Wolverine’s backup candidate in case Jim Harbaugh says no:

Finally, a well placed source indicates Kentucky coach Mark Stoops could be a backup candidate for the Wolverines job. Michigan believes it’s imperative they land someone with the ability to recruit Ohio. Stoops attended Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, where his father was an assistant coach.

David Cutcliffe reportedly turned down the job earlier this week, and Phillips’ sources tell him there is a “disconnect” between Les Miles and Michigan over staff salaries. Rutgers’ Greg Schiano is mentioned as another candidate.

I’m not worried. Michigan may have the tradition and prestige, but it’s also got a fan base with ridiculously high expectations. Plus, we’re just getting started here, bro.

[FootballRumorMill.com]

30 Comments for FootballRumorMill.com says Stoops is Michigan’s backup if Harbaugh says no

1. UK Big Board Update
    5:19 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

You’d think they’d hire Petrino, since he’s so good, and has changed…. and all that. LMAO.

• cats paw
      5:33 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Got your bowl tickets yet BigBoard? Lmao

• WillySpankit
      5:49 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Kentucky trending upward while Louisville is getting worse. We made the right hire, so long as Stoops doesn’t run for one of the big dogs anytime soon.

Seems like Petrino is gonna be Louisville’s guy for a while since they’re the only program with the lack of moral standards to take him. I’m fine with that.

• Katya
      6:13 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’m glad Tards Claw didn’t go anywhere. I missed him a lot.

• 25OR624
      6:49 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Uavel fans should be concerned. No way Michigan hires Stoops. No disrespect intended, he’s just not proven. Not sure what his contract contains at uavel; however, Petrino, once hired, at Michigan, would stay – forever. Michigan is a destination job for him, not a rung on the ladder as has been uavel and WKU.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:25 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Once again, ol’ cats paw is back showing his true colors.

• Dickbutt
      8:12 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Isn’t cats paw the idiot that posted that Petrino led Louisville to 11 wins and the Orange Bowl right after UL beat UK?

Oh, yeah, he is: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/the-cats-come-close-but-cannot-finish/

“Yea, dragging them down to the orange bowl and an eleven win season”

do u even football, bro?

• cats paw
      8:42 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Aren’t everyone of you all the ones that said we shouldn’t hire Petrino because he would leave UK?? Oh yea, you were. I don’t see his name being posted to be leaving? I was the one that also said if Stoops WERE to ever win at UK that he would be gone in a heartbeat. I also predicted UK wouldn’t win another game after the 5 wins! So far my predictions and knowledge of football have been spot on! And you are left saying “wait till next year”, as usual……

• UK Big Board Update
      10:28 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

No. We should not hire Petrino because he is a scumbag. You also predicted UL to beat us by 45. They won by 4. (Among other failed predictions). I’ll look them up and post them, if you want me to.

TROLL ON, TARD TROLL!!

• Dickbutt
      11:08 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

11 wins and an Orange Bowl. Direct quote of yours after the game, man. You don’t even know how many wins the team you actually cheer for has or could have if they win out (hint: it’s 10).

2. nadroj
    5:24 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I’m worried. Why wouldn’t Stoops go if they offered? It’s by far the better job.

3. The Seer
    5:29 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Not worried? Why do you think an OC hasn’t been hired yet?

• 25OR624
      7:07 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Precisely the reason Michigan should NOT hire Stoops. If Stoops were offered the Michigan HC job, wouldn’t he bring his newly hired KENTUCKY OC with him? Or, is Stoops waiting for the Michigan job – so that he can then hire an OC for Michigan? In all likelihood, Stoops has an OC and is waiting for the proper time to announce (following bowls).

4. winagain1
    5:35 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Should I pretend to care about this?
    Someday in my lifetime I hope UK decides to take football seriously… It’s not real hard to see that you get basically what you pay for in football coaches.. You want to pay 1.7 mil a year and be in the SEC? Ok that’s cool.. You’ll win 2 overall games and 0 conference games… You want to pay 2.5 mil a year? That will get you 5 wins and 1 (some years 2 conference wins..) You wanna put your big boy pants on and dial it up to 4 million plus?.. Now you can compete…
    UK it’s not rocket science.. You’ve invested 100,000,000+ into stadium remodel (reduction?). You’ve milked us season ticket holders to death…. Dial it up to big boy football pay grade and in a year or two we will be playing big boy football.
    Preciate

• rainman
      8:28 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Highly unlikely you’ve ever seen a season CS, let alone a season ticket!

5. deltasig41
    5:50 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Michigan needs to make a splash. A big one. Their fan base is one of the more delusional in the country, the AD has struck out twice with their last two coaching moves (firing Rich Rodriguez and hiring Brady Hoke), and they’re starved for a winner…One that will consistently compete with, and beat, Ohio State.

Not to knock Coach Stoops, but he doesn’t exactly fit that bill. He’s done a hell of a job here in his two short seasons, but being his only head coaching experience, why would he even be on their radar? While our progress is obvious, we still haven’t turned the corner. And besides that, with the money they can sling around, you’ve got to believe they’ll be looking at only upper-echelon guys. While it would certainly be a step up for Coach Stoops to go there, it would be a miss for Michigan football…At least at this point. Two or three years from now? Stoops might be on every major program’s wish list. I hope for our sake, he is.

6. david8577
    5:51 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Mouth breather.

7. FakeLarryDavid
    5:55 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

This would be devastating and I can sadly see a scenario where this plays out. Harbaugh, Miles, and Bob Stoops turn them down. They go looking for a great recruiter with a strong defensive mind. Bam! you got Mark Stoops. He brings Pelini as DC and Lincoln Riley as his OC. This is worst case scenario by the way.

• deltasig41
      6:11 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Pelini won’t be a coordinator unless it’s in the NFL. He’s a head coach (and a pretty good one). He’ll land on his feet somewhere with a head gig.

• VinDatuk
      9:35 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Pelini took the HC job at Youngstown State so this scenario is moot.

• Catsby80
      9:39 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

why would the former head coach of nebraska go to youngstown state? everywhere I’ve looked says this is not confirmed. he’s been offered but hasn’t accepted. I’m reading that Pelini could land at Wisconsin.

8. david8577
    6:06 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

I love Stoops, and think with time he can make UK pretty good. But I find it hard to believe that Michigan would hire a guy with a 7-17 record as a head coach.

9. UKBlue1
    6:37 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Michigan as great as their history might be is a freaking train wreck along with the majority of that conference. Stoops can do whatever he wants, but he has said before why would I want to deal with the stress his brothers has to deal with at Oklahoma; Michigan would be nothing but stress. It also doesn’t help Mich that Wisconsin is now also looking for a new coach.

10. keiths
    6:45 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Believe me, Michigan is not going to hire a two year head coach with a losing record. They HAVE TO make a knockout hire, like we did with coach Cal. Look for them to go after a established head coach

11. KySZN
    7:01 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

The transfers from Nebraska tell you all you need to know about Stoops leaving; he’s not looking those kids in the eyes and telling them one thing only to leave for the next big opening. I think he is sincere in saying he wants to build this program.

• The Seer
      7:32 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

“Sources tell KSR”….. that’s a sure thing.

• Bulldawg
      2:50 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

I agree 100%. I mean, its not like UK hired bobby petrino… lol

GO CATS!!!

12. Bluebloodtoo
    7:17 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t see Michigan actually looking at Stoops seriously. It’s not because Stoops isn’t talented, it’s mainly because Stoops doesn’t have the resume required to get the Michigan job. The AD there doesn’t have a great track record with hiring, so he really needs a no brainer for this hire instead of an up-and-comer with great potential. Additionally, it’s just not feasible to say that Stoops is comparable to Harbaugh. I’m betting this is either recruiting propaganda or a strategic PR misdirection.

13. KevinM
    7:39 pm December 11, 2014 Permalink

Don’t forget Wisconsin still needs a head man as well.

The longer Harbaugh takes though, the better for us.

14. Catsby80
    9:43 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

I really think that Harbaugh will end up at Michigan and this conversation will prove to be pointless. Harbaugh is a control guy. He doesn’t have a lot of control in the NFL with GMs, Execs and Presidents. In college, he can go get the players he wants (or try to anyways) and keep them for 4-5 years. In the NFL, players are traded all of the time and I think Harbaugh gets very irritated by that.