Florida WR Freddie Swain says this game is Kentucky’s Super Bowl

How many times do we hear Coach Cal say, “We’re every team’s Super Bowl” each year?

A lot.

This time, the Kentucky football team is on the receiving end of that narrative.

Florida WR Freddie Swain told reporters that Saturday’s game was Kentucky’s version of the Super Bowl.

That’s probably like their Super Bowl, you know what I’m saying,” Swain said. “If I lost to a team that long, I mean, I’d try to win too. I mean that would be a big win.”

Florida tight ends coach and former Kentucky assistant Greg Nord the two programs just aren’t on the same level right now.

“Where we’re at now, we’re one of the elite programs in the country and they’re not.”

For senior safety Nick Washington, the primary goal is to not be the team that ruins the streak.

“I don’t think many guys are thinking that we’ve had a really long streak going against these guys and we can’t be the team to let the university down or our fans down,” said Washington.

The BBN begs to differ.

As far as Swain’s comments go, do you think he was trying to throw shade at the Wildcats? More importantly, is he wrong?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

20 Comments for Florida WR Freddie Swain says this game is Kentucky’s Super Bowl

1. aj007
    7:14 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

In the same way we can talk down to everyone else in basketball because of what UK has accomplished UF can do the same to UK in football. When you beat, and quite often brutally beat, any other P5 team 30 years straight you deserve to say whatever you want. UK just needs to go into Saturday like it’s any other game focused on business.

2. TakenNotGiven
    7:25 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

There’s no doubt this is a big game for UK. However, I really don’t think they’re an elite team. UF is a bit disillusioned if they think they are. Though they certainly have outdone us in terms of the number of shark humping coaches and players committing credit card fraud that they have. So in that regard, they have far surpassed UK.

3. VinDatuk
    7:25 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

Classy comment by a coach. Someone should also explain to Greg what elite means.

4. TBW3011
    7:38 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

We are kinda acting like it? I mean, I’m not blaming anyone for being pumped and ready to put this streak to bed, but he’s not wrong. Lol

• TBW3011
      7:40 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

When I say “he’s not wrong” I’m referring to the kid. The coach saying that is idiotic. By no means are we Florida, but they haven’t exactly been “elite” since Urban left.

• east-ky-boy
      8:07 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

I apologize. Just saw u wasn’t talking about the coach lol

• east-ky-boy
      8:07 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

He’s not correct. Michigan is a elite team. Florida got SPANKED. Tennessee sucks and almost beat them. We aren’t elite and neither are they. SEC is down as a whole.

5. AwesomeBillFromDawsonville
    7:40 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

I think you may be misreading Nick Washington’s quote. Also, it would nice to have Greg Nord’s quote in context. Did he just say that sentence as an answer to a question? Where are these quotes from?

• m4ff3w
      7:53 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

Nord’s quote:

“I was actually coaching the last time out there, and that’s a long, long time ago,” Nord said. “I don’t know if I had any kids yet or not and I’ve got grandkids (now), so it’s been a long time. When I played there, we had a little bit of success when I was playing, but there haven’t been a lot of happy Wildcats when the Gators come into town.

“They were just competitors at that time. Now as far as programs growing, where we’re at now, we’re one of the elite programs in the country and they’re not. So it probably means more to them than it does to us as far as the streak.”

• TBW3011
      8:06 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

Doesn’t sound nearly as bad when sentences aren’t left out does it? Lol. That’s the way “journalists” work today.

• ArmyCatFan
      10:56 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

Thanks for posting this. I agree, in context, not so bad.

• meeksfor3
      8:24 am September 21, 2017 Permalink

In my opinion when you throw the one line into the entire quote it still doesn’t water it down any. He was throwing some major shade and not your typical response for a coach. Oh well just more motivation for these guys.

6. maximumscott
    7:50 pm September 20, 2017 Permalink

I think the TE coach was the worst

7. playmorezeppelin
    8:23 am September 21, 2017 Permalink

I would take that more offensively if it wasn’t true. Of course, we might have more than one Super Bowl this season.

8. Baize
    9:11 am September 21, 2017 Permalink

Lol why does that guy think UF is still elite? Does he know what year it is?

9. nybrasky
    9:43 am September 21, 2017 Permalink

You’d think they’d be a little more humble about it when if not for a blatantly missed call by the officials, their streak would have ended a couple years ago. That said, of course it’s a bigger game for UK than for UF, but in terms of this season both teams need the W.

10. 2Dogs
    10:09 am September 21, 2017 Permalink

I would consider them elite. I would hate to think a non-elite program has beaten us 30 years in a row.

11. Bluebloodtoo
    1:14 pm September 21, 2017 Permalink

So Florida is Elite, like UK basketball is elite, huh? Being ranked 20th this year makes them elite? Ending last season ranked 14th makes them elite? What about 2014 and 2015 where they ended the season outside of the top 25 programs? Is Florida in a better position than Uk right now? Yeah, for the moment. But if the #20 school loses to an unranked team, do they drop out of the top 25? Quite possibly…. Maybe the Florida WR might want to get some data to back up his mouth….