Florida State expected to hire Mike Norvell as head coach

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

In case Mark Stoops’ recent words and actions didn’t end speculation of him being a potential candidate for the Florida State job, today’s news might do the trick.

This evening, news broke that Memphis head coach Mike Norvell has agreed to a deal with Florida State to become the school’s next head coach, with a press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

ESPN was one of numerous major outlets to report the news on Saturday.

In four seasons at Memphis, Norvell has led the program to unprecedented heights, including a 12-1 finish and an AAC title game victory this season. The Tigers are expected to earn an invitation to the Cotton Bowl as the highest-ranked Group of 5 team.

Stoops, who reportedly met with Florida State officials in late November and withdrew his name from consideration, told reporters after UK’s blowout victory over UT Martin two weeks ago that he was “going to be at Kentucky” next year and moving forward.

“This is where my heart is, this is where I’m going to be,” said Stoops. “I’m going to be at Kentucky.”

Now, it looks like any chance of a potential change of heart are officially gone.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

10 Comments for Florida State expected to hire Mike Norvell as head coach

1. JASUN74
    10:11 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

I’m really glad Mark Stoops wants to be here and I’m glad to have him, but if he did leave, I really wanted Norvell at Kentucky. It probably will never happen now if Coach Stoops does leave one day but we’ll get a great Coach to come here now and that’s the main thing.

I think Florida State hit a grand slam with this hire and he’ll have them back in two years in my opinion. Well back meaning he’ll have them playing respectful football, and by year three they’ll be hard to beat and give Clemson all they want. He really needs to get a great Defensive guy to go with him though, and if he does they’ll be very good pretty soon.

• CJKAssassin123
      10:31 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Completely agree

2. CJKAssassin123
    10:30 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

I called this a month ago!!!

3. notFromhere
    11:02 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Now just have to be concerned about losing Gran and all of the recruits and players that would leave with him

• CJKAssassin123
      11:25 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Memphis probably will be highly interested in Gran. I don’t see Gran leaving I bet Gran signs a very lucrative extension with UK (for an OC).

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    6:58 am December 8, 2019 Permalink

This is big game hunting? Oh, okay FSU. lol

5. zoupman
    10:08 am December 8, 2019 Permalink

How does the AD at FSU still have a job? Hiring Taggart was stupid and giving him such a huge buyout was irresponsible.

• CJKAssassin123
      12:15 pm December 8, 2019 Permalink

What you said! However they just got a very good Offensive mindinded coach at an extremely discounted price plus Mike Novell’s buyout at Memphis is only $500K which was obviously a big factor FSU’s decsion to hire Mike Norvell. Norvell has also stated that he wanted to the next step as a head coach so it’s not a surprise to see him move to a power 5 school.

I don’t think this completely shuts the door on Mark Stoops leaving UK I think we should keep an eye on the possible coaching situation at Oklahoma. I know what you are think, your think huh? You would have a ligit reason to question me. My reasoning behind this though is due to the fact that with multiple NFL HC jobs opening and the number of openings are going to continue to open by then end of the season for example we know that the Panthers & Redskin’s jobs are open, but the is likely going to be HC job openings with the Giants,Browns,Falcons, Dolphins,and possibly the Broncos, Bengals,Lions,and Cowboys all of which will have serious interest in hiring Oklahoma’s current HC Lincoln Riley. Two potential NFL teams come to mind one is the Browns because of who the QB is (hint hint it’s Baker Mayfield) the other team is the Dallas Cowboys for obvious reasons I won’t get into. If (if is a big word) Lincoln Riley does decide to leave for the NFL than that would leave Oklahoma in need of a new HC.

One candidate they would have pretty good interest in is our own Mark Stoops why you may ask? Well for starters Oklahoma Knows all about the Stoops family with Mark’s older brother Bob Stoops being a former HC for Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma would feel very comfortable with Mark and they know what he brings to the table because he and his brother are extremely similar coach’s surprise surprise, however they also know how good of a recruiter he is especially in OH and they also know that he already has a great recruiting class in place at Kentucky as well as a good OC and DC it would be a quick fix and actually at a bargain price. Plus if he can win 10 games at a place like Kentucky which was a place mind you where people said you can’t win at ,then think about what he could do at Oklahoma with even better resources at his disposal and with getting 5* talent every year. Plus would inherit a really strong roster already built together adhan what he just recruited for Kentucky and you’ve got yourself another National championship contender. However even though this is a think we need to keep an eye on I honestly don’t see Stoops leaving UK at least not this year I think the same goes for Eddie Gran as well(who I think is going to sign a longer deal that is very lucrative for offensive coordinator at the end of the season, however he will at least take a look at the FIU and Memphis job openings but I the he ultimately decides to return as the Kentucky’s OC. I guess we shall soon see.

• CJKAssassin123
      12:20 pm December 8, 2019 Permalink

Sorry for the bad grammar guys I hate my phone keyboard.

6. gwhittle
    11:23 am December 8, 2019 Permalink

Who would wanna go to fsu if they won’t even give a coach two seasons to rebuild?