Florida players still suspended… for now.

Florida has been without nine players — including starting running back Jordan Scarlett and star wide receiver Antonio Callaway — due to suspension since before the season opener against Michigan.

Those players have not been reinstated for the upcoming Kentucky game, yet.

“I promise you this: when I know, I’ll let you know,” Florida head coach Jim McElwain said Monday.

The suspension is for what was called a “misuse of school-issued funds,” which ESPN reported as the players buying items in the school bookstore on their school IDs, and then selling them for cash.

McElwain also noted that Florida cornerback Duke Dawson, a key member of the defense, is unlikely to play at Kentucky with a head injury. Dawson already has two interceptions this season.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Florida players still suspended… for now.

1. foamfinger
    1:27 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Hate it for Duke Dawson. I hope he gets better, but doesn’t get rushed back onto the field before he is ready.

• Mathlete
      1:35 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Yep, I hope he’s good to go next week but needs to sit this one out

2. maximumscott
    1:28 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

So do they still practice?

3. Mathlete
    1:37 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Wow… they literally stole and fenced goods paid for with school funds. I wonder if there’s a potential issue with their NCAA eligibility because of this?

• ClutchCargo
      2:02 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

That’s what I’m thinking. Those guys wouldn’t have been out this long if there wasn’t some serious worry about playing ineligible players.

• memphis
      2:20 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Completely agree. McElwain essentially said it wasn’t his call on when they would be back so I imagine the NCAA and/or compliance at Florida is looking into this. I hope they take their time and do a thorough investigation. No need to rush anything before the 23rd.

• runningunnin.454
      6:01 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Makes you wonder what the grounds for dismissal at Florida are…..?

4. maximumscott
    2:33 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

If we cant beat them at our best and them losing 9 now 10 players including Dawson then we dont deserve to ever beat them.

• KYcats11
      4:03 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

True, but we are not at our best either. (Jordan Jones, Dorian Baker, Cole Mosier, etc.)

• TBW3011
      5:28 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Everyone has injuries. Hardly anyone EVER has 10 guys out at once. Absolutely should be an advantage for us.

• I don’t care if they have so many injuries/suspensions that they have to suit up the Gainesville Pee-Wee Players. 😛
      If they’re wearing Gator helmets I want this streak ended NOW!

• foamfinger
      9:38 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Remember, FSU had a lot of players out for academic stuff when we beat them at the Music City Bowl.

5. henderblue
    8:15 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

They will be just as good without those guys. Like the other top SEC schools, they have depth. They have guys who will step right in. I think they will be ready to play, so a win against them would be big. A statement maker

6. AirRaid98
    11:21 am September 19, 2017 Permalink

It’s ok. Louisville will always give them a second chance

• Sergeant
      4:24 pm September 19, 2017 Permalink

This. The dirty birds are watching closely hoping they get kicked off so they can swoop in and pick up another big time football team’s skilled but trashy players. Business as usual.

3rd chance U