Florida is the third SEC East team to lose QB for the season

Is there a curse on the quarterbacks of the SEC East? It sure seems that way after a third starting quarterback suffered a season-ending injury over the weekend, only the third weekend of the young season.

On Monday, Dan Mullen announced Florida’s Feleipe Franks will undergo surgery to repair a fractured right ankle. Franks, who has started 23 games at QB for the Gators, suffered the injury when Kentucky’s defense rolled him up on a sack late in the third quarter of this past Saturday’s game in Lexington. He was replaced by Kyle Trask, a redshirt junior, who went on to win the game for Florida, as you well know. (Also, #TooSoon.)

Last week it was Kentucky that lost its starting quarterback to injury when Terry Wilson tore his patellar tendon in his left knee in the win over Eastern Michigan. The injury requires surgery and Wilson will miss the rest of this season, his second at UK after leading the team to its first 10-win season since 1977.

Back in Week 1, South Carolina senior Jake Bentley suffered a foot injury that required surgery, and he too will miss all of 2019.

Three starting quarterbacks, three injuries, three surgeries in three weeks for the SEC East.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Florida is the third SEC East team to lose QB for the season

1. RackEmWillie
    2:06 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

So, who goes out in week 4?

2. cats646
    2:14 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully Mississippi states ain’t next. The back up will fuk us up.

• Slam242424
      2:46 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Ain’t that the truth. I was hoping to see Xavier Peters put in some plays during the 2nd half to at least blitz and put a hit on the Trask to welcome him to the game. But geez, we pulled completely away from being aggressive up front and dang we paid. Zero blitzing packages with the DB’s playing an additional 5 yards back.

• Skooms
      2:48 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

The problem is that you’re readying the defense to play against Franks and not Trask. I’d lay money down that Trask looks worse next week (well maybe not against TN) than he did against us. As much as I’d like to disagree with you, I can’t. I really don’t want Miss State to lose their starter.

• 4everUKblue
      3:06 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

I liked our chances to win with Franks as QB, when he went down I had a sick feeling.

• cats646
      6:01 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

No sh!t as soon as he went out my buddy looked at me and said “curse of the back up, we lose”. I told him to shut his mouth, but I think the curse may be real.