Five Takeaways From Tuesday’s Practice

dawson and qbs db247

While you were getting ready for the Blue-White game last night, Shannon Dawson, Patrick Towles, Boom Williams, C.J. Conrad, Jeff Badet, and Sihiem King all met with the media after Tuesday’s practice.

Here are the five main points from the meeting:

The team had an open forum on Monday. Right before one of the toughest stretches of the season, several players spoke in a team meeting. “We had some players get up and say something,” said Towles. “We’re a very tight knit group. we’re definitely a family and families have their problems and were no different from that. The important thing is how you handle them and how you respond to them. I think we did that well and I think practice today was super sharp.” Towles hinted at this and spoke about avoiding complacency. “Last year we had the tendency to get complacent towards the end of the season, and I definitely don’t see any hint of that right now and I don’t think that will be an issue,” said Towles. The team knows there are adjustments that need to be made heading into the final five games of the season. The vibe from today’s interviews is that there is no panic and that everyone is coming together for the common goal.

Kentucky could not exercise the long ball against MSU. “They played two safeties back; when people play back you’ve got to take underneath stuff and run the ball,” said Dawson. “You can’t force things vertical, which, probably at times, I did, because I want to take shots.” Mississippi State forced Kentucky to take underneath routes and protected their corners against UK’s explosive wideouts. “They didn’t give us many looks to push the ball down the field,” said Towles. “When you’re down you’ve got to throw the ball and we were put in some unfavorable situations and that’s because their defense is really talented.”

We will see more of Sihiem King. Dawson said King will “absolutely” get more reps earlier in games. King ran for 31 yards on three carries on Saturday. “I always tell kids to give me a reason to play you more, so he went out and gave us a reason to play him more.”

Tennessee is extremely active on athletic on defense. “They play extremely hard and their D-line coach has done a great job with those guys,” said Dawson. “They are active and they get off blocks. They do a good job of getting seams and hitting them. Well coached, good, athletic defense.” Towles added his thoughts on Tennessee’s defense. “They’re super athletic up front and they get lots of tackles for loss. Their linebackers are super aggressive and play downhill.”

Towles is ready to play Tennessee. “I think I missed some throws and I wasn’t necessarily accurate,” said Towles on his performance last year against Tennessee. “I know for a fact I’m better with the football, I’m throwing way better than I was last year. Being a Kentucky fan, I love playing Tennessee. I have a lot of fun doing it and I take a lot of pride with how I play against them.” Towles will look to improve on a performance where he completed just over half his passes for 168 yards and an interception last year in Knoxville.

Article written by Trey Huntsman

The KSR Baseball guy. Follow me on Twitter @TreyHuntsmanSEC.

20 Comments for Five Takeaways From Tuesday’s Practice

1. Poppschmidty
    10:04 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like the mental aspect of the game is in line…hopefully we’ll produce! Go Cats!

2. Poppschmidty
    10:04 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

And why haven’t they announced a “Black Out” for this week?!!?

• ben
      10:49 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

If they don’t do it this week, they have to do it against Louisville, right?

• fatbrat
      11:38 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

Several of the players have tweeted out that Saturday will be a blackout game.

3. PlumLoopy
    10:17 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

You know, every time, every team I read the same things after “tough” losses: how they’re a “family” and people speak their minds and it’s a matter of pride and guys hold each other accountable, etc.

I don’t know whether to believe it and it’s all meaningless because it’s always the same story.

4. shelby
    10:44 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

Shannon Dawson looks like a fat version of Mike Greenberg.

• carvingitup
      11:47 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

I think Dawson looks like Jeremy Renner.

5. FernCreekCat
    10:49 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

So is Coach Dawson admitting he got out-coached with his insisitance on throwing the ball deep?
    It was apparent the middle of the field (10 to 15 yds.) was open on at least half of Ky’s offensive plays.
    Dawson IMO has been a bust in his play calling responsibilities. Also, where have our 2 line coaches ever been sucessful? All of our asisstants have got to show a big improvemnet with their players or move on.

• fatbrat
      11:43 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

I wish more OC would stay up in the booth. Dawson must rely on other eyes to tell him what the over-all status of the “D” is.

6. GatorCat
    11:05 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

All nice to hear……yada, yada, yada. Now show us on the field Saturday. Don’t wanna hear that damn song.

7. The Rest of the story
    11:21 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

Bla Bla Bla. Dawson is a bust and no one wants to say that. He is totally over his head in the SEC and has shown why he never called plays at WV. We have the worst line coaches in football and that is not to be disputed. You cannot field fat, weak, slow linemen and be a good coach and that is what UK has. Dream on if you think we even have a chance against UT.

8. Football is Life
    11:59 am October 28, 2015 Permalink

Not challenging Dawson, but if you watch Baylor film, regardless if they see press, man, 2-deep safeties, nickel — any coverage shell — they still attack with the go routes …successfully. Almost every single passing down they have at least one player on a streak downfield.

Baylor was a garbage program until Art Briles brought an ultra-aggressive attacking offense that didn’t take what the defensive gave, but imposed its will on the defense. And he has only had TWO Top-40 recruiting classes.

9. bluetwo2
    12:13 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

It takes a very exceptional offense like that of Baylor to go over the top against a cover 2 alignment. Dawson for the most part stays with trends and does not try to attack into double coverage. The times he has dialed up 9 routes against 2 deep we haven’t faired too well.

10. Wendy
    12:16 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

Mark Stoops = No head coaching experience prior to UK.

DJ Elliott = No defensive coordinator experience prior to UK.

Shannon Dawson = No play calling experience as an offensive coordinator prior to UK.

These guys has ZERO experience in their positions. Is anyone honestly surprised that the staff is having major issues with game management and successfully running the offense and defense??

I can’t understand why UK would approve the hires. From Stoops’s perspective I can understand why he would want the best head coaching position he could get and why he would bring DJ Elliott with him (he’ll run Stoops’s defensive schemes without conflict), but why would Stoops hire Shannon Dawson? Why would he not find an OC with a proven track record, even from a mid-major program? I assume Lincoln Riley wasn’t available because he turned down a UK offer to accept the offer at Oklahoma. However, there were other candidates with proven OC experience. The Dawson hire doesn’t give fans a lot of confidence in Stoops’s decision making. You have to wonder whether he’s cut out to be a successful head coach in the SEC. I hope he does become one, but I’m starting to worry a little.

• fatbrat
      12:29 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

That’s not exactly true. First Dawson coached under Hal Mumme at New Mexico State where he learned the basics of the “Air Raid Offense”. He has been the OC at Stephen F. Austin University and before that at Millsaps College. While at WV it is true he did not make the calls but he was heavily involved. Saying he has no experience is teetering on the side of ignorance.

• Wendy
      1:19 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

@fatbrat

Working for Hal Mumme for a few years where you weren’t the offensive coordinator and at WVU where you didn’t call plays is not equivalent to true experience as a OC. Sorry.

• fatbrat
      1:53 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

@Wendy….Shannon Dawson = “No play calling experience as an offensive coordinator prior to UK” If you had said he had no experience at the FBS level that would be one thing, however you said he had no experience calling plays what so ever..and the time he spent under Mumme was a huge factor for Dawson getting the job at WV as well as UK. Dawson has done a decent job here at Kentucky. In my opinion this group would have fared much better if Randy Sanders was still the play caller.

11. Catscatscats
    2:20 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

Wow no one sees the elephant in the room. The picture is a clue.

12. Mr Morals
    4:43 pm October 28, 2015 Permalink

I hope the training department has stocked up on lots of Gold Bond medicated powders, the cats are gonna need it after the ass spanking Tennessee is going to give them. It’s going to be ugly. God help us.