Five Takeaways from Stoops’ Monday Press Conference

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 12.04.11 PM

Drew Barker still needs more reps

Stoops was pleased with Barker’s first start, but still believes he needs more reps. Barker looked very comfortable and poised in his first time taking over the offense. The weather yielded Barker from throwing the ball as much as the coaches and the fans would like to have seen, but that won’t be the case on Saturday. In order for the Cats to win, Barker is going to have to make plays with his arm.

It was important to play a complete football game

After five straight frustrating losses, it was good to see the team play a complete game. Both sides of the ball played extremely well despite the horrible weather conditions. After the Vanderbilt game, there were a lot of things that coaches want the team to clean up. It was comforting to see the Cats regroup and play well right before one of the biggest games of the year.

On Louisville’s two quarterbacks

In Louisville’s loss to Pittsburgh over the weekend, two different quarterbacks played. Kyle Bolin, who played the first half, was replaced by Lamar Jackson in the second. Both quarterbacks are dual threat players who can make plays with their arm, along with their feet. Historically, Kentucky has not been very good at stopping a running quarterback but hopefully with the hype of the game things might be different this weekend.

“He’s a talented player. You can see he’a guy who can be a definite threat when he pulls the ball down and extend plays,” Stoops said about Lamar Jackson.

The two quarterbacks will not change Kentucky’s preparation too much, but they will prepare for both quarterbacks. Louisville will name a starting quarterback later this week.

Seniors have been special to this team

Saturday will be a special day for many players. Not only is it the last chance to make a bowl game, but it is some of the players last game at Commonwealth Stadium. The seniors have played a special role this year that the coaches are grateful for. They have been become leaders to the young guys on the team through the mid-season struggle. “Our obligation as the big blue nation is to send them out the right way,” Stoops said.

Stoops said that Melvin Lewis will participate in Senior Day but is unsure if his family is making the trip from California. Thankfully, the new turf field allows Lewis to be able to ride his scooter/cart out on the field.

Stoops wants the stadium packed

Everyone knows how important Saturday’s game is. It is not only a chance to go to a bow game, but it is the biggest rivalry game of our football season. On top of all that, it is senior day. The fans need to come early and celebrate the players who have worked hard to turn this program around. Home field is a important aspect to winning a football game we need to take full advantage of that against Louisville. After last Saturday’s weak showing, let’s pack Commonwealth to support the seniors and celebrate getting a sixth win over the Louisville Cardinals.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

14 Comments for Five Takeaways from Stoops’ Monday Press Conference

1. secrick
    1:54 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

I thought Barker looked ok, but only ok.

2. Catsby80
    2:00 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

KSR needs to hire an editor. I don’t mean to be critical and I understand typos happen, but a simple proofread would go a long way.

3. jaws2
    2:01 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

Look, I’m as big blue as anyone, but I took Saturdays game with a grain of salt. How could we not look much better? For heavens sake we were playing an absolutely horrendous football team!
    Two things to watch for against uofsmell:

ufsmell rushed for -1, MINUS ONE yards against Pitt. If we play D like we have previously they will get 150yds plus on us

We ran all over arguably the worst team in football at our level. uofsmell will not let that happen. I will be SHOCKED if we run for more than 150yds.

I also think uofsmell will block a punt because we’ve been perilously close all year and they consistently are good on special teams. I won’t be surprised if they run one back either because we are horrible on coverage and they excel.

I know anything can happen in this game and hope for the best, but I’m a realist and we haven’t shown me we can win against equal teams all year.

• dean winchester
      2:28 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

As much as I would love to disagree, I can’t. My grandma could have ran for 150 against that team Saturday. Also…sure he is the future, but the present D Barker threw into coverage at least 3 times..and defenders had their hands on two of those. He is decisive…has plenty of arm…but he is very much a redshirt freshman. His decision making is not where it needs to be to beat Loserville I’m afraid, but I hope he plays well this weekend and we get a big win.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:28 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

The players appreciate your support, Mr. Big Blue. 😉

• dean winchester
      2:46 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

I love my team…I live and die with them. I’m not down on them, but I do think Charlotte was a very bad team..especially against the run, Barker has tremendous potential, but he has to progress quite a bit in a week if we are expecting/needing bigger things from him. We need a big game from our offensive line.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:05 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

Comment was intended for jaws2.

• jaws2
      4:41 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

UK Big Board Update, nobody said I didn’t support the team Jakwad! Obviously you’re one of the super Blue KoolAid fans that can’t see through the glasses. Ive been supporting this team since 1968 and I REALLY don’t need to here from some Jakwad that acts like they support the team. Anyone with 1/4 of a brain knows we played NO ONE last Saturday and if we hadn’t looked really well we’d have zero chance against uofsmell Oh and BTW Jakwad, expect Petrino to burn us several times with the TE on Saturday. He actually uses his.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:46 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

*jackwad
      *hear
      *jackwad
      *jackwad

You’re welcome. 😉

4. 2thepoint
    4:14 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

Yes Charlotte was a bad team, but UK beat the stuffing out of them too. Barker was pressured in the pocket some and had to scramble just like he did in his previous abbreviated chances. Yes, he could have used many more reps, but it is what it is. His first game start was good to get out of the way even if it was against a lowly team. The pressure was on him greatly to perform that surpasses the quality of opponent. He and we knew boo-birds were waiting for failure so they could say we were right. Now they will have to wait for at least one more start to say that. What we do know is his passes are more on target than the other qb’s have been. He can also run if necessary so no drop off there. If he can make decent decisions with the ball on Saturday there is no reason we can’t win that game athletically speaking, because UL is no defensive or offensive juggernaut. We saw a better engaged coaching staff Saturday with better play calling so if we see that Saturday it is a plus for a possible win. I just beg Dawson to stop trying to run up the middle on 1st downs so much. Don’t be predictable with the play calling.

Again, the Saturday game is winnable. UL has beaten exactly nobody of note from the ACC. True they came close to beating Clemson, but Clemson did everything in their power to give the game away after having a big lead at the pizza parlor. Clemson is ranked #1, but they won’t finish the year that way when they face Bama.

• BluKudzu
      5:54 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

North Carolina will be playing in the ACC Championship. South Carolina beat them. North Carolina has a slim chance to upset Clemson. What is up with the ACC?

5. Hagan Hall
    7:08 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

Weak crowd Saturday Night? UK ‘reported’ 56,000+ I don’t understand.

• Leuther
      7:51 pm November 23, 2015 Permalink

Don’t confuse what was reported with the number of people actually there…

6. Scrappy Cat
    8:23 pm November 24, 2015 Permalink

I’m sorry but 16 for 29 against the worst FBS team in the nation is not good QB stats. I am afraid that against better defense we will really see why Towles has been starting. I think Barker will be good for the future, but I don’t think he is ready yet. Trying to bring him on to early will probably cost us the Louisville game.