Five Takeaways from Stoops’ Monday Press Conference

unnamed

Stoops knows where this team is and where they are headed

Panicking is not something this coaching staff and team want to do quite yet or at all. After a not so good loss on the road, people are worrying that the old Kentucky football is still here. With five games still left in the season, all this team needs to do is regroup and move on. If Stoops isn’t worried, than I know I’m definitely not worried.

The coaching needs to be better

Stoops started off his press conference by saying there are things he and the coaching staff could have done better on Saturday. Any coach after a loss is going to tell you that they wish they did things differently obviously, but I think this game was a little different. Things need to be addressed and fixed on both sides of the ball including play calling and personnel. As we’ve seen from the updated depth chart today, things have already started to change. It will be interesting to see if the playing calling and defensive plans will change in the last five games of the season.

Defending the Tennessee offense will not be easy

Despite their record, the Vols are a very good team, offensively and defensively. Kentucky will be facing yet another dual-threat quarterback in Joshua Dobbs. Dobbs not only can make plays with his arm, but also with his feet. Thankfully, preparing for Dak Prescott with help the defense prepare for Dobbs and his ability to make plays with his arm and feet. With Kentucky’s experience of defending quarterbacks like Dobbs so frequently now, hopefully they will be able to contain him and shut him down.

It is all about producing

“Maybe somebody’s not making plays, maybe you got to move onto the next guy,” Stoops said. As Kentucky gets more talented players each year, it is all about production now. Players have to earn their job each week, no matter how long you’ve been around. Derrick Baity and Mike Edwards are two great example of this. They have expanded their role on the defense, and have earned starting spots.

Garret Johnson will be fine

Johnson has be one of the most consistent wide receivers this year. Johnson made a heck of catch against Mississippi State to give Kentucky a first down. The offense missed his consistency and his ability to make plays in the second half of the game after he injured sprained his shoulder. Thankfully, Stoops said Johnson will be fine and believes he will be ready to go in the next couple of days. With so many dropped passes against MSU, the rest of the season could have been a lot worse had Johnson’s injury been more serious.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

62 Comments for Five Takeaways from Stoops’ Monday Press Conference

1. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:42 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I really hope our fanbase doesn’t jump ship after this past weekend. Right before we turned the corner with Rich Brooks we got blown out down in Baton Rouge. The following week we upset UGA and the goal posts came down. Stay strong UK fans and SHOW UP ready to be loud on Saturday night! BEAT THE VOLS!!

• RealCatsFan
      2:47 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

+1000

• Kat 308
      4:42 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Agree

2. Towles' Man Bun
    1:43 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

“With Kentucky’s experience of defending quarterbacks like Dobbs so frequently now, hopefully they will be able to contain him and shut him down.”

Evidence would suggest the contrary.

• Stoops says
      8:46 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

If Elliot doesn’t have the d ready again this week, it time for him to leave.

• The analogist
      9:49 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Amen Stoops says

3. Jim
    1:49 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Aren’t all these press conference’s starting to sound the same. We have to produce, we have to coach better. UT hung 50 on us last year, our defense is way worse this year, what do you think Dobbs will do Saturday.. Then next week we can watch the same press conference again. It is what it is, and that’s UK football.

• Oldfan
      2:30 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

100% correct

• Redneck Cat Fan
      2:34 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree to. we should just cancel all the stuff stoops has got started and just start all over again.This is on you Mitch!!!

• Old Coach John
      5:03 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

As a retired coach, I know I would never admit to being “out-coached” game after game after game. Sounds like you can’t coach AND you can’t learn either, and that’s not good for the fans, the team, or recruiting. And I agree with you Jim, every Stoops press conference (after a loss) is a carbon copy of his previous press conference (after a loss).

• carvingitup
      6:19 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I have also coached for many years including college and 10 years at a high profile high school…..never would I have ever admitted to being out coached by anyone and for sure not several times during the season. His comments are sometimes puzzling.

4. Catlogic15
    1:49 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

“Thankfully, preparing for Dak Prescott will help the defense prepare for Dobbs…”.
    We prepared? Geez, what would’ve happened had we not?

• Towles' Man Bun
      2:57 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Exactly what I thought! So if we were so prepared for Prescott, how is our result against MSU supposed to inspire confidence that we’ve got it all figured out now?! Haha. Top notch analysis, there…

• tippytoe
      8:41 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Here is an idea. Let’s actually prepare for Dobbs by making him beat us with his passing, which is not as dangerous as his legs. Put a spy on him, crowd the box to stop the run. I question Dobbs’ accuracy throwing and if he beats us with his arm and their receivers, so be it.
      And can we get aligned correctly before they snap the ball?

• ps-
      8:43 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Elliot sux. Time for Stoops to take over the d.

5. RICK
    1:53 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Lets try and just give Dobbs 2 minutes to decided what he wants to do with the football instead of the 3 mins we gave Dak.

• intheshadow
      5:04 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

AMEN!

6. Stuck in Rocky Snot TN
    1:58 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Same ole song and dance every time Kentucky looses!!

7. HDR
    2:08 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Why do we even have press conferences after a loss? It’s the same old stuff every time. Just play the recording from the first one and save everyone a lot time.

• asdf
      4:23 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Or just save yourself some time and don’t pay attention to it. Easy fix…

8. leon singleton
    2:15 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Let towles be a double threat qb or play Barker

• Bluetothebone
      3:40 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree …wasting part of PT’s game

• papasnapper
      3:44 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

The O Line doesn’t do a good enough job to allow ANY QB to be a dual threat! Give Towles 5-7 seconds (like out defense is giving up) without having to leave the pocket and he’ll make good on the throws.

9. wallnutz14
    2:21 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Are we ever going to get to see a punt being returned with this team?? What’s the record for most fair catches in a single season because we might end up breaking it…
    And how long can Stoops continue to try and put a positive spin on everything while this team continues to take steps in the wrong direction and get worse? Eventually I’d just like to see him man up and tell the truth about how badly they played, coached, managed the clock, or whatever else the issue might be on a given night.
    I know the schedule is getting tougher, but I just don’t feel like this team will be very competitive the rest of this season. Our two SEC wins look awful now with Missouri losing to Vandy and South Carolina playing poorly as well.
    Where is the development of Matt Elam?!?! He looked like he just walked into the program for the first time.
    8 men on the field for punt return… 6 guys covering 4 receivers which allows the QB to run right up the gut for a TD… 2nd down hand off with no TOs left in the last minute of the game…
    I still attend all home games, I stand and cheer the entire time, I watch all away games on TV, I tailgate, Cat Walk, etc. I still support this team and program whole-heartedly, but dammit I’m ready to see a team that can live up to all the hype surrounding it (or at least come close). And we just don’t have that yet. Will we get there?? What I saw Saturday night was flat out embarrassing.

• pity
      2:37 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Wow, you are a glutton for punishment. Here is my fairweather approach since the early Rich Brooks years and it has served me very well:

I attend only 1 or 2 games per year, and rarely pay more than $10 for a ticket. I sit down comfortably with flask at hand and cheer only when my hands are free from said flask. I watch all games on TV….unless there is a better game on, or we aren’t down 2 touchdowns yet. I have no problem throwing in the towel in the middle of a UK game, and finding something better to do like extracting my teeth with pliers. I tailgate more than attending games, often not bothering to enter the game, and often, like the EKU game I attended this year, I leave at halftime and head back to the tailgate party for food and booze, but mostly to escape inept performance.

Do this and you won’t drive yourself nuts. LOL, I told somebody in the early Brooks years that I just decided not to emotionally invest in football anymore. That I would always want UK to win, but I would not let the endless futility and frustration get to me. They said well, you are a fair weather fan and we aren’t letting you back on board when Brooks takes us to the top of the SEC. Well, my blood pressure is still good, and they have beat their head against a brick wall. Forever.

• bluetwo2
      6:30 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

There is no question that Stoops is a master at being a “spin doctor” No direct answer to any question and takes the blame without actually taking the blame. Answers any question with a joke or points out that we are trying to build a long term product. When in the preseason he assured us that Kentucky would be putting a very good product on the field and implied that the old Kentucky was dead. Well that old Kentucky has now reared its ugly head. I for one are tired of spending hundreds of dollars on Saturday to witness a sub-par performance even in victory.

10. Man
    2:21 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

We have some of the worst fans in the country.

• Troll
      2:35 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

And why is that? Because everyone is getting tired of the same old thing year after year? Surely you aren’t going to be one of the homers and say there is so much improvement are you? If you do, make sure you tune in Saturday and then come back and tell us how it goes. We pay good money for tickets, season tickets, and expect to show some kind of improvement each year. Can you say with confidence that we will be better than 5-7 now? I wouldn’t think so.

• Sarah
      2:39 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Your comment is unfair. The UK football program historically has some of the worse losses and worst losing seasons in Div. I college football. Fans are right to tell it like it is and expect more. The real losers are the fans who are happy with 5-7 and 6-6 seasons. That’s a losing mentality.

• Dangers
      3:24 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I’m happy with 6-6. It’s called progress. And I also agree with the original comment. Our fans are starting to get unbearable.

• jeff
      4:06 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Many of our fans are just too fair weather….. beat somebody and they say we’ll go 10-2. Lose a game like we did in Starkville Saturday night, and everyone says same old UK, we won’t win another game. The funny thing is that MANY of the comments come from people who have absolutely no clue what they are watching anyway. If you are a “football person”, then you see that Coach Stoops is bringing in better players, and the Cats are competing at a higher level. We are still VERY YOUNG! Miss. St started 23 Jr’s or Sr’s, and where better to start with, thats why most wrest confident heading into this game. This team will qualify for a bowl this year, and then compete for the East next year………….

• BluKudzu
      4:14 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Man and others commenting about fans complaining:
      I think most everyone, (save the occasional troll) that comments on KSR, is a Wildcat fan. I also believe there are some very ardent football fans that are also Wildcat fans. There is a difference. Most of the Wildcat fans are basketball fans, first and foremost. The Wildcat basketball team is impressive, and has given every wildcat fan something to be very proud of.
      The Wildcat football team, however, not so much. Years and years of no support, bad coaches, losing seasons, hype, spin and marketing has given the Wildcat football fan nothing to be hopeful about, nothing to be proud of. I don’t blame them for making comments about the direction and results provided thus far. It is hard for me to understand why anyone would call them fair weather fans, when they have had no fair weather, ever.
      To say these people don’t know football, is wrong. They have seen it all. They have seen great teams of the SEC. They have seen teams built from nothing and in a bowl in less than three years. They understand what it takes to build a program. They also know when a program is not getting it done.
      They know when a program is just getting worse. They know they are only four plays away from being winless, and they are tired of getting beat, or nearly beat, by every other in state rival school.
      They are tired of getting humiliated.
      I promise you, if this was the result we got from the basketball program, people would demand we clean house from the AD on down. With the rebuilding we are 11 and 20 in three years. Would anyone accept that in basketball, losing 67% of the games? losing 50%? losing 33%? losing 25%? No.
      Would they be considered fair weather fans?
      So shove it with the troll calling, fair weather fan calling. It is what it is, and football fans know it, and they are not happy with the effort given thus far. They deserve to say anything they want until real progress is seen.

• Veritas
      4:40 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Stoops is the 27th highest paid college football coach in the country. Would you say he’s the 27th best coach? Personally I don’t. I expect to see fundamental improvements during the year as well as from year to year. That isn’t happening. It’s his fault. As a former player, I’m tired of the excuses, the poor play calling, the lack of execution, the lack of improvement, etc. We haven’t sniffed a conference championship in how many years? That’s the sign of improvement I’m waiting for… I’ll probably be dead before it happens.

11. Andy
    2:23 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Stoops will have a chrome dome after this season is over. We have to find a way to beat the vols. No excuses.

12. NavyCat
    2:23 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

The coaching needs to be better…you think?!

13. FootballFan22
    2:38 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

We have some of the best fans in the country, but we truly have some of the worst as well. Stoops has completely changed this program from nothing to something in short time. We lose one game against a great team in a hostile environment and everyone loses hope. WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST COACHING STAFFS IN THE COUNTRY. Our staff recruits and develops talent as well as anybody. Making a bowl this year is well within our reach and crucial for the progress of this team. 3 games left are very possible wins, and that will give us 15 more practice (crucial for development) and keep the recruiting rolling. Win those 3 and a bowl game and we’re preseason top 25 next year.

• Elmer Skaggs
      2:47 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree with mullet

• NavyCat
      3:26 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Recruiting yes…results on the field TBD. 11-20 overall and 4-17 in the SEC is not really what I’d call up and coming. We’ve not beaten a good team this year yet and while we could’ve beaten FL and AUB we also could’ve easily lost the games we’ve won with our poor showing in the 2nd half of the first three wins and the first 3.5 quarters against EKU. Yea, yea, yea I know I’m a poor fan…I have been and will continue to be a season ticket holder but too many coaching gaffs to date. Get 11 people on the field against Auburn. Don’t run the ball against Auburn when running out of time. Get your defense aligned so MSST QB doesn’t waltz in untouched for a TD, repeatedly. Don’t ice your own kicker because the field goal unit isn’t ready to go. There are things to build on to be sure but this nonsense would be unacceptable at most other SEC schools; we’ve just been conditioned to accept mediocrity with ever present promise of what next year will be. If the other team has better talent so be it, that is truly being addressed by Stoops but these bloopers need to stop.

• jim
      3:45 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Just a thing or two. We don’t have one of the best coaching staffs in the country, i think that’s obvious to fans that look at it without the blue goggles on. It’s not the one loss that has people complaining, it’s barely beating a down ULL team, barely beating a EKU team, and just the horrible preparations for games. The defense couldn’t even get lined up before Prescott was running by them. Time management, play calling, and not being able to get people on the field into position still haunts us and we are 7 games into the season, this shouldn’t be happening. I’m not so sure we’ve went from nothing to something yet. I’m definitely not seeing how you can say we could be a preseason top 25 with this defense.

• CatsBy80
      4:10 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

preseason top 25?!?! if we finish the season 7-6 or 8-5? listen, i’m all for being optimistic and being a good fan, but my god dude… take the blue tinted shades off for a second.

14. RealCatsFan
    2:58 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

It’s easy to write off the fans based on the repeated comments of a few bellyachers. Overall, UK has a devoted and passionate fan base that deserves to be rewarded with winning football, but the reality is that we play in the toughest conference in America, we are at a geographical disadvantage in said conference for recruiting talent, and the coach we hired took on the program at a historic low point. It’s going to take time, folks, and there are going to be ups and downs along the way. Most of us can remember the ups and downs with Brooks – it took at least 4 years before the team started to turn the corner. That 2007 team probably would have played in a BCS bowl if it had been in any other conference besides the SEC. Hopefully Stoops will get us back to that level and then some, but until then, we are just going to have to figure out a way to be patient and support the team. Hopefully when Stoops moves on the AD will not make the same mistake he made when he hired “the coach in waiting”.

Take a look around and face it – we are a basketball school playing in a football conference. Credit goes to the hardy fans who support both sports – that is a rarity in the SEC, as exhibited by the empty basketball arenas all year long. Overall, I give our fans a lot of credit for that, but in the meantime, it’s getting old listening to all the whining on here.

• inside info2
      3:09 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Stoops will get 2 more years before he has to worry about being in the hot seat as far as Barnhart is concerned.

That doesn’t mean he is above criticism. There have been plenty of coaching mistakes that cost us momentum at best and points at worst. Play clock management is still terrible. That shouldn’t be happening to a year 3 coach. The 8 men on the field for the punt return is unacceptable. This shouldn’t be happening at this point. The coach for the Indianapolis Colts might get fired over a bone-headed special teams play.

Stoops is A LOT better than Joker. But so far he hasn’t been much better, if any, than Brooks. He just is getting paid a heck of a lot more than Brooks was. He’s going to have to fire a bunch of his buddies between now and whatever bowl game we might squeak in to if we want any improvement next year. Plus he needs to talk to his brother and get some head coaching tips.

15. RICK
    3:04 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Poor Elam looked bad, out of shape and just down right out of place. I hope he turns things around and kicks some butt the rest of the season. He may have been playing the best offensive lineman in the nation for all i know and did a good job but it looke dbad to a fan that doesn’t know a lot about the game.

• Korean Tacos
      3:15 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Elam would be good to learn to play football and a technique beyond “I weigh a lot” That works in high school, not so much in college.

• ClutchCargo
      4:31 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Probably won’t happen, but I really wish he would redshirt next year and focus on getting in shape. It might make a world of difference.

16. UKBlue1!
    3:23 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

UT, UGA Losses, charlotte win. Vandy 50/50. UL 35/65. Right now we will be lucky to go to the Birmingham Bowl or our season maybe headed for the toilet bowl.

• Robert Layne
      5:14 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I sure hope we don’t have to beat Vandy to get our 6 wins, ’cause Vanderbilt is going to beat UK. No, I am not a Vanderbilt fan or a UofL troll, I’m just letting you know up front not to count on beating Vandy.

17. The Rest of the story
    3:24 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Oh please UK fans give Stoops a break. This is ONLY his 3rd yr. as a head coach and we all know he needs at least 5 yrs. to know when to call time outs, go for a TD or 1st down on fourth and short, get his players in shape ( Matt Elam ), have a punt returner who returns punts ( certainly not Timmons ), manage a clock to give his team a chance, and last but not least a real offensive coordinator that knows the game and his players. Coach in training takes time fans.

18. theWilkman
    3:31 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

If you thought we were winning 8+ this year, that’s on you. This team is exactly what we thought they were going into the year – young, talented, yet prone to mistakes. We are still on track to get to a bowl game, which is the goal for this year. If you thought we were going to win the East after beating a bad SC team, no one can help you. Temper UK football expectations and I promise your life will be more enjoyable.

19. papasnapper
    3:40 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Hmmm…
    “Thankfully, preparing for Dak Prescott with help the defense prepare for Dobbs and his ability to make plays with his arm and feet.”

Preparing for Dak Prescott didn’t help one iota with containing Dak Prescott. Wonder how that helps us in prepping for Dobbs?

20. Aja
    3:51 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

He looks about how I would look if I were being paid $3.5 million a year and got my butt kicked.

21. TyE
    3:54 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Any word on if Saturday’s game will be a blackout??

• CatsBy80
      4:12 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

the game might not be, but i sure will be if we see more of the same from last weekend! cheers!

22. timer
    4:00 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

We are heading down a slippery slope with regard to the season. It’s up to the coaches to turn things around.

• TyE
      4:10 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Totally agree! We still don’t have the talent that the top half of the SEC does but our team is very young especially on the offensive side of the ball. If everyone would quit dogging stoops I really believe we are a pre-season top 25 team next year with a possible 9-3 record. Call it a stretch if you want, but this team is very young and gaining valuable experience every game. The next few years are bright folks. CATS!

• inside info2
      4:39 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

We are not a top 25 team with Towels as our QB. He has not progressed any in the time he has been here and that is after spending an off-season with an expert that was supposed to improve him.

The defense should be better though. That will help. Westry is going to be a special player. Our line play should improve. We are just a quality QB and better coaching away from being top 25.

23. KYCATS13
    4:17 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

24. Glenn Fohr
    5:43 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Towles ability is really what gives us a chance to possibly be ranked next year. The light is going on as we speak. Drops are killing us right now.

25. Nostromo
    6:04 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Top 25?? Man share some of that stuff you’re smoking. have you even looked at out schedule for next year? We’re gonna pay for all these home games. ‘Bama, away, Tenn, away, UL away, etc…We better get to a bowl game THIS year, because it isn’t going to happen next year. This is our easy schedule. The easiest its been in my memory. yet this team crapped the bed against ULL AND EKU!! They didn’t learn a freaking thing, from the one. So know were supposed to believe they learned something from MSU? I learned something from MSU. I learned that we make no hapf time adjustments on defense. i learned that out players still can’t line up properly. I learned that we still drop too many balls. I learned Stoops has no idea how to manage a clock. I could go on, but you all saw what happened. You can’t put lipstick on that pig anymore. Stoops need to turn himself around 180 degrees before he even thinks about turning anything else around.

26. Pillsboy
    7:15 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree with the Elam comments I can’t believe he was a 4 star. He would have never played for Alabama had he gone there. He has been in the program 2 years and is still so out of shape. That is what prevents him from staying low he just can’t do it? His gut is too big and he looks totally out of place! And the defense often looks lost before each play out of position. I just lose it when I watch them look so confused! Stoops has to take over the defense! One last thing we have to stop settling expectations is what makes the great programs great that with the institutions comitment to funding what is needed. I feel the funding is there now all of us have to expect a winner you usually get in life what you expect!!! The athletic dept down to the fans must demand excellence just like in basketball stop settling!!!

27. Cayts
    8:59 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

seriously…someone needs to proofread this person’s posts. Every single one is terrible. If Matt runs and gets elected, things are gonna get real ugly. The less he in involved with the site or radio show, the worse things get.