ESPN’s projections for Kentucky Football in 2018

How will Kentucky fare this season? ESPN’s Mark Schlabach released his college football preview yesterday and projected Kentucky to finish fifth in the SEC East with a 6-6 record, 2-6 in the SEC. By that line of reasoning, Kentucky would win all of their non-conference games, including the regular season finale at Louisville.

Here’s Schlabach’s predicted order of finish for the SEC East:

1. Georgia 12-0, 8-0
2. South Carolina 8-4, 5-3
3. Florida 7-5, 4-4
4. Missouri 7-5, 4-4
5. Kentucky 6-6, 2-6
6. Tennessee 5-7, 2-6
7. Vanderbilt 4-8, 1-7

Schlabach also predicts the Cats will go bowling, facing Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl on December 29. The basketball team’s game at Louisville also takes place that day, creating a major potential conflict, but I’m not about to waste my time getting worked up over hypotheticals.

For the rest of Schlabach’s predictions, click the link below.

[ESPN]

[mobile_ad]

16 Comments for ESPN’s projections for Kentucky Football in 2018

1. BluKudzu
    12:08 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Kentucky should finish second in the SEC East at 5-3, plus winning all their non conference games.
    9-3 is not impossible. This should be the year. With a little luck, maybe 10-2.
    Hope so anyway.
    Go Cats. Do something special. We are overdue for a great football season.

• SuperTroy18
      12:33 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I feel exactly the same about the record. Seeing Fitzgerald for MSU miss the first game makes me feel like he might not even be around when they come to Kroger Field. This could be a special season.

• WVCat
      1:39 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

You’re kidding right

• NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
      1:48 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Exactly this isn’t drinking the “Blue Kool-Aid” either. By numbers and with 7+ legit future pros on the team and a top running back and TE in the nation and a athletic QB who runs s 4.5, on top of the SEC E after Georgia is up for grabs tbh and I feel like our personnel is better than Missouri, SC,TN,Vandy and just a little behind FLA bc of all the players suspended the first few games. Unless they magically get reinstated before our game. And our west opponents middle of the pac teams. Our times were last year and Now! We been waiting for this year, now it’s time to execute! 8-4 with a punchers chance at 9-3 and healthy heading into bowl game with a shot at Historical 10 wins! Go Big Blue! F*** the critics¡

• NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
      1:55 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Plus I’ll take that 5.5 wins bet for UK. How you place that, that’s free money

• shepdog3720
      2:46 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Unless u scared, go to Bovada and set up your account… https://www.bovada.lv/ Over for UK is 5.5 at -125

2. Cincy Cayt
    12:20 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

If we’re still the same old UK football, then this will happen and we’ll be thankful. I’m hopeful we’ll do better!

3. kjd
    12:25 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Don’t care about predictions.
    Play the games, and we’ll see.
    Ready for football at Kroger Field on Saturday!
    Go Big Blue!

4. Logic_Prevails
    12:45 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

We beat South Carolina and Missouri the past 3 years. I do not understand why so many are picking them to beat us. I know they got better but we did a lot to get better too. It’s insane to not even consider that we should be favored in those games. No different from saying even a down Florida team should be favored against us. It is the same logic. Winning those two games changes our entire outlook for the season. And MSU is not going to be the same without Mullen calling the shots. His offense is completely different from the one Morehead is going to run and I like our chances against them too. 9-3 is not inconceivable.

5. Logic_Prevails
    12:46 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

*got a lot better

6. highway119
    1:33 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Is anyone else wondering why the MO and SC Kool-Aid is so good? 4 years in a row and 3 years in a row isn’t a fluke, and we have been steadily improving, yet they are always portrayed as rising programs that we just can’t hang with, until we beat them again. I guess it’s okay though, just makes that chip on Benny’s shoulder a little bit bigger.

• dismore
      3:36 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I’m guessing because MO really played well later in the season last year. And SC has been recruiting very well plus played good towards the end of last year.

7. maximumscott
    2:05 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

If Terry Wilson is good then these should be adjusted. Im so tires of SCar always getting love. We have beaten them 4 years in a row.

8. az1006
    3:18 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I’m going to assume that our question mark at quarterback is the main reason so many prognosticators have us finishing so low on the pecking order, because otherwise I can’t seem to figure it out. We’ve beaten South Carolina 4 straight times and get them at home, and we’ve beaten Missouri three straight times…They’ve improved, yes, but so have we. And from a personnel standpoint, I’d take our roster against both of them any day of the week.

As for the QB situation…With all due respect to Stephen Johnson, there has been nothing spectacular about out quarterback play the last two seasons. Johnson was a warrior and gutted out some wins for us, but it wasn’t without plenty of bumps in the road. Quite frankly, from a performance standpoint, the bar isn’t set that high for Terry Wilson.

I think this team has grown, matured, and is as talented a roster as we’ve had in over a decade. In addition to that, they seem to have a swagger and a chip on their shoulder. I think this is finally that elusive “special” year we’ve all been desperately waiting for (and we end the streak).

CMU-W
    FLORIDA-W
    MURRAY STATE-W
    MISSISSIPPI STATE-L
    SOUTH CAROLINA-W
    TEXAS A&M-L
    VANDERBILT-W
    MISSOURI-W
    UGA-L
    TENNESSEE-W
    MTSU-W
    UOFL-W

• jaws2
      4:22 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

While I can’t completely agree with this analysis because I think 9-3 is waaaay too optimistic. But I totally agree with your Stevie comments. If we would’ve had an SEC quality QB last year that team would’ve won 9-10 games.
      I’m very concerned that we may see a repeat performance at QB. I sure hope I’m wrong!

• az1006
      8:28 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I’m aware that it’s optimistic, but I said I think this is finally that special year. 8-4 would be special, but 9-3 would be historic. If we are able to win the games we should, and steal one or two, we are there.