ESPN Still Believes Kentucky Will Play a New Year’s Day Bowl

After a bad fourth quarter turned into another loss to Florida, the BBN was left angered, sad, disappointed; maybe all the above. The team surely felt the same way over the last 48 hours, but it’s important not to lose perspective. The latest bowl projections from ESPN should help.

Kentucky should have beat the second-best team on its schedule Saturday night. Even though they came away empty-handed, the path to a New Year’s Bowl and another nine-win season is clear. Don’t take it from me.

After watching the Wildcats fall to Florida, ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura believes Kentucky will play Michigan on New Year’s Day in the Outback Bowl. Another ESPN writer, Mark Schlabach, has UK in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl against Iowa. They aren’t the only ones who believe Kentucky will receive the New Year’s bowl season spotlight.

Even if UK finishes 1-2 in the Florida-Miss. State-South Carolina stretch, a second consecutive 9-3 season is on the table thanks to a much more comfortable back half of the schedule. You can keep the UK football panic button out of sight for at least a few more weeks.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

12 Comments for ESPN Still Believes Kentucky Will Play a New Year’s Day Bowl

1. secrick
    3:15 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

I agree but i’m thinking 10 wins this year.

• mashburnfan1
      1:36 am September 17, 2019 Permalink

We will know after this weeks game, if we don’t show up like the UT game last year after playing UGA we may end up with that 7-8 win mark. IF this group can put the UF game out of the way and focus and play UK football Saturday I think we can get to 9-10 wins. This program is deep and talented and just getting better, only thing lacking this year is Dback experience. As they get better, they are and will, we will be hard to beat. Also Chance will be a great kicker for us, feel bad for the young man but this game should have never came down to that kick, we should have won by double digits. Eddie C Gran {conservative} combined with the D going to a prevent D for the final 17-18 minutes lost the game.

2. Larkin123
    3:17 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’ve got to calm down about loses… Geez this is still a better quality of football than Ive seen in the past.

My dad used to pick me up and let me stand to see over the adults when George Adams made runs in the early 80s… I have such fond memories. However…

I started to lose my mind as soon as their backup came in… I was at the game when Danny Wuerffel came off the bench for a UF comeback win in mid 90s… oh well…

3. gasman01
    3:19 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

I’m worried about this weeks game. Going to be hard to get this team up after Saturday nights disaster. We were better than Florida and just gave it away.

4. Headhurts
    3:30 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

New Year’s Eve Bowl but not in the top 25? Huh

• ClutchCargo
      3:35 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

ESPN logic. Otherwise known as throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.

• Slam242424
      3:49 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Disagree. The pieces are there. We have the talent to win every game but perhaps the Georgia game. Just hope we coach to win rather than coaching not to lose.

Smoke is the answer. Though you can see the strategy of using Rose during initial series to tire the D but my opinion is that keeps our points off the board.

• ibescootch
      6:07 am September 17, 2019 Permalink

What are you disagreeing with?

5. WKY Cat
    4:14 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

Nada. Unless we stop the kill the clock theory when ahead. We could do that last year with a dominant defense. Not this year and I’m afraid Stoops isn’t going to change.

6. Bluebloodtoo
    4:21 pm September 16, 2019 Permalink

This is a good team. A good team with some very young, inexperienced components. That inexperience CAN cost you a game here and there. However, it took several inexperienced mistakes, two key ejections, AND some luck from the 9th best team in the nation to beat them. Why the HELL is everyone panicking?

• ibescootch
      6:10 am September 17, 2019 Permalink

This is my perspective as well. Yes, it sucked, but it wasn’t just a “they were better than us” loss, it was a lot of different things came together for Florida to somehow squeak out a lucky win. I’d much rather have a team need a bunch of dumb crap happen to beat us, than just be legitimately better than us.

7. katmandue2you