ESPN recaps Kentucky’s spring performance

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Over at the Worldwide Leader, Sam Khan has a recap of Kentucky’s spring practice, and lists the Cats’ depth in the backfield among their strengths, along with AJ Stamps’ impact in the secondary, and the ever-present sense of optimism that’s surrounded the team since Stoops came on board.

While there was progress this spring, Khan writes there are three huge questions surrounding the team: who will be the starting quarterback, whether or not Demarco Robinson can bounce back from last season’s suspension (he had a great performance in the Spring Game), and transfer running back Braylon Heard’s impact. Khan’s “way-too-early” prediction?

The Wildcats will win a game they aren’t supposed to this fall. They still have a long way to go to get to where Stoops wants them to be, but they’re better and continue to increase their talent level in recruiting. Finding the right quarterback will be key.

Which game do you think the Cats can pull off an upset? Here’s the schedule:

Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 9.43.47 AM

64 Comments for ESPN recaps Kentucky’s spring performance

1. Duh
    2:32 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Louisville!

• C....A....T....S....CATS!
      4:12 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Duh!

Would LOVE IT…

However…. do NOT like this question.

Upsets usually happen because the TEAM WHO IS NOT SUPPOSE TO WIN IS “UP” for the game…

Upsets usually happen because the TEAM WHO IS SUPPOSE TO WIN IS “NOT UP” for the game…

Making enough verbal “UPSET PREDICTIONS” about a game, only announces to your opponent you don’t think they will be UP…. and your team will be UP…and thus an UPSET.

However, it does not work because you have now told your opponent “YOU WILL NOT BE READY FOR WHAT WE GOT FOR YA”… and your opponent WILL BE READY FOR YOU.

So let’s just not answer and keep our UPSET PREDICTIONS TO OURSELVES…..

ON…ON…UofK

• Vizzini?
      4:23 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

C….A….T….S….CATS! is that you Vizzini?

• You keep using that word
      5:40 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Anybody wanna peanut?

• Inigo
      7:45 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

You – You have a gift for rhyme.

2. UKfanNKY
    2:35 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I say 8 & 4 with S. Car. , Miss. St. , Georgia and Looserville going down this yr.

Fla. , LSU. Miss. & Tenn. losses

GO CATS!!!

• We gotta crawl before we can walk, and walk before we can run. I just don’t see 8-4 in the SEC until we get another talented recruiting class or 2 in.

• I forgot to mention that I hope you’re right though!

• u guys crack me up
      2:45 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Is that you Mr. Towles? Or Mr. Bunning? LOL, 8-4? You do understand that the first digit is for wins and the second for losses? Think you mean 4-8 if you are sane.

• Blake Bortles: Dream Crusher
      2:49 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

^^^^ Hey, I said shut up, biotch!

• UKfan
      3:05 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Vandy is the upset. Probably win 5 or 6 games this year.

1,2,4,6,8 and 12.

3. we should win
    2:36 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

We should win 6 – 8 games with that schedule. When it is all said and done we probably only win 4.

• Do whut?
      3:42 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Why “should” we win that amount of games?

4. 40-0
    2:37 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

40-0, winnin em all

• Hey
      2:48 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I like your enthusiasm.

• Melvit
      4:06 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I’ve already got my 14 – 0 shirt printed out.

5. Jalen Whitlow possibly transferring to Alabama State:

ASU’s coach is friends with Jalen’s uncle & also went to high school with his mom.

6. I would say UF if we were playing them at home since they have so many question marks, so I’ll say UGA since we have them at home and they lost Aaron Murray.

7. u guys crack me up
    2:43 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I say we can upset Ohio, given the game will be at CWS. Gonna be a nailbiter though.

• MRob
      6:07 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

stop saying we you look stupid

8. Blake Bortles: Dream Crusher
    2:46 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Shuddup, biotch…..

9. Casper
    2:49 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

this season is a replay of last season.
    can’t decide on a quarterback, receivers all hurt.
    i hope we can win four games.

• Casper
      2:55 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Durrrr, ha durr, durrrrr.

• Springtime for $hitler
      3:46 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I know you Fellowship of the Miserable types don’t like to be hindered in your pessimistic pissyness but just a heads up when it comes to injuries. It’s April.

10. UKBlue1!
    2:51 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

5-7. Wins coming from Ohio, Tenn Martin, L-Monroe. The other wins will come from MSU, Vandy or someone failing to show up and play. I think we will be better but not 6-8 wins better. Six wins would be a unbelievable season…..most of our talent is either going to be a sophomore or freshman. This isn’t basketball. There is a huge difference between a 19 year old and 21 or 22 year old playing football against each other.

• DW
      3:08 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Well said!

11. Tater
    2:56 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

7 – 5 TM (W) – OH (W) – FL (L) – VB (W) – SC (L) – LM (W) – LSU (L) – MS (W) – MO (W) – GA (L) – TN (L) – UL (W)

12. DW
    2:59 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I think we’ll upset Miss. St (home) and Louisville. I believe a big factor for success this season will be to WIN the FIRST TWO games… definitely can’t afford to lose either of those from a numbers points of view and a momentum point of view. I’m very hopeful for Miss. St and Louisville but I could also see a few other combinations including Vanderbilt. Cross your fingers for a bowl! I could see that happening if our QB (Towles IMO) steps up! Go Cats!

13. Al/in/Indy
    3:02 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Maybe MSU since it’s at home, USC didn’t dominate us last year and we play them at home….uvel is always possible (besides maybe by the start of the season half of uvel’s team could be in jail), and maybe UF if we play flawless.

14. Steve
    3:07 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Call me crazy, but I think a bowl game is do-able. I would take that and be very happy for this year.

• OK
      9:15 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

You are crazy

15. Don't underestimate
    3:08 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Ohio and Louisiana-Monroe are going to be much more difficult for you guys than you are expecting.

I think you’ll finish 4-8 (UL-Monroe, Ohio, TN-M, Vandy wins) but it very well could end up being 3-9, 2-10, or 1-11.

16. Misguided optimism on MSU
    3:10 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

They are returning a Senior laden team. Next year will be the year vs. MSU, not 2014.

17. Scott (2)
    3:12 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Win = UTM, Ohio, Vandy (at home), ULM, @Mizzu (upset), @ UL = Bowl = Damien Harris

18. Ralph
    3:13 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Louisville, to go 6 and 6 for the season!

19. MustangCat
    3:13 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Me thinks we will beat Florida this year. We will beat Mizz and UL. I think we go 7-5, or 8-4 even. I think that we have 6 winnable games, counting UL.7 counting Mizz. I think Florida is in serious trouble, and i think we beat them there. I think that we will get good play at QB, and WR, and great play at RB. I think we will see a jump on defense, a lot because we won’t keep them on the field for 3/4 of the game. I think playmakers will emerge this year, on both sides of the ball. I love being optimistic.
    We MUST win the must-win games. Gotta beat Vandy and Mss. St. We also have to factor in the momentum factor. If we manage to beat Florida and Vandy, we go into S. Car. undefeated.Even if we lose to SC and LSU, we go into Mizz at 6-2. Momentum and confidence changes a lot of things.

• DW
      3:16 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I want what you’re smoking! Love the optimism!

20. STOOPS TROOPS
    3:21 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

No home L for sure. Then we win one or two on the road

21. Niño Brown
    3:21 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Clemson. In the music city bowl.

22. mrReal
    3:22 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I think its our year to end the streak against the gators.
    im betting on a 5 win season. lock it in!

• #whynot
      6:24 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Contradict much? My bad. I meant ending the streak during the 2 seasons following this upcoming season.

23. Haggard and Jones
    3:35 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Ohio.

Don’t laugh. I’m serious.

24. NL
    3:36 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

South Carolina…at home and they will be down this year relative to last

25. Rick in TX
    3:45 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I’m going with Florida. I am not convinced that last year was just a hiccup for them. I think they are in decline right now and this year may be the best chance to get a win over them Gators.

26. Jones Returns
    3:55 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

No reason we shouldn’t be able to go 8-4 this year. Based on this schedule a bad year would be 6-6. An ok year with no real suprises would 8-4 and a great year would be 9-3. Losses should be to Florida, South Carolina, LSU and Georgia.

27. LOL
    3:58 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

What are you all smoking? Still no solid qb, and a lousy secondary. How do you expect to win 6,7,8 wins this year? Louisville will win, Mississippi State will win. Vandy is a possible upset but thats about it

28. Hendo Blue
    4:11 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Our toughest games are on the road. Be hard to win any of those. But we might be able to take Louisiana- Monroe.

29. Broken record
    4:30 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Good God you guys are the same year after year…some things never change.

UK fan football projections are better than any comedy airing at the movies.

Give your guys a little room to work with….8-4???? Jesus christ,

• Don't push play
      4:55 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I know you’re just being a realist so it’s not necessarily directed at you but as unrealistic as it may be I’d rather hear that same tune being churned out over and over than have the Fellowship of the Miserable loop about “no good quarterbacks, terrible receivers, pitiful linemen, worst coaches ever. Nothing will ever get better. We’ll be lucky to win negative three games. My wife sucks. My kids sucks. You using that pistol?” recycling every year. Overly optimistic fans I get. Crotchety, hateful, unhappy FOM members baffle me. Since misery loves company maybe they could start a club and spend the rest of their days “happily” together. And for the love of God sell their season tickets.

• DW
      9:47 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

buahaha @Don’t push play!!!! I think 8 wins is quite a reach for the stars but I’m on your side!!!! Gotta love the Debbie Downers!!!! might as well pull the trigger lmao again… good stuff!

30. 2020
    4:48 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

7-6

31. Reality sinking in
    5:04 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I see a third straight 2-10 season… Kentucky football gon’ Kentucky football.

32. Ukcatzfan
    5:07 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

With only 2 wins next year i say the TENN MARTIN game

33. Undertaker's Dong
    5:12 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Check me out in CWS after the upgrade! I’m slippery as an eel!

34. Undertaker's Dong
    5:14 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Oh yeah, and 12-0 isn’t out of the question. Louisville’s gonna be terrible. South Carolina is a pretty sure bet after how we basically beat them last season, and we don’t play Alabama. So, I’m thinking undefeated national champions.

• Blue
      5:23 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Ding Dong!

35. Stoopified
    6:23 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

From these responses, I guess we should demand that Stoops is fired if he isn’t at least 6-6 and gets a bowl.

36. ThankfulCat
    6:32 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Kentucky will get 2 SEC wins over Vandy and Tennessee

The Louisville game will be for the bowl bid

Ky wins

Perino wrecks another motorcycle

Ky goes to bowl in Birmingham and wins it

7-6

37. kelleydog
    8:06 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Based on the last few years I’d say they will upset Tennessee Martin

38. Kat308
    9:27 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I say 6-6 wins being UTM, OH, Vandy, LM, MS, UL
    maybe a UT upset

39. lol
    12:29 am May 1, 2014 Permalink

Love how you think you beating UofL this year lol, how are we going to be terrible for one you have to play @ PJCS Bobby doesn’t play the same type of offense Charlie did there were a lot of offensive weapons Charlie didn’t use ie: James quick plus we still have devante parker Kentucky goes 2-10 again