ESPN gives UK a 4% chance of upsetting Louisville tomorrow

i

Louisville may have turned in a clunker vs. Houston, but ESPN is still very, very confident the Cards will beat the Cats tomorrow in Louisville. The beleaguered Football Power Index only gives Kentucky a 4% chance of upsetting Louisville tomorrow, and ESPN’s panel of SEC football experts unanimously picked the Cards in the rivalry showdown:

screen-shot-2016-11-25-at-8-37-13-am

62-17? Ouch. Guess it’s time to shock the world.

[ESPN]

9 Comments for ESPN gives UK a 4 hance of upsetting Louisville tomorrow

1. dshwildcats
    2:34 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

I can’t remember exactly now, but it seems like this same ESPN panel of “experts” (as a group) picked Kentucky to lose to South Carolina, Vandy, Mississippi State and Missouri. I realize that Louisville is the favorite in the game, but a 4% chance of pulling the upset seems a little low. I guess none of these guys watched Louisville bumble and stumble to wins over Duke and UVA; played uninspired football for three quarters against Wake; and, get manhandled last Thursday night against a Houston team that is currently down 10 points to Memphis in the 3rd quarter.

Oh, well! The Cats should go out and play very loose tomorrow. If Kentucky can control the clock with the ground game (steady dose of Boom and Benny); score TDs in the “red zone” as opposed to kicking FGs; limit the number of big runs (15-20+ yards) by Jackson; and, not turn the ball over, I think they have a legitimate chance to pull the upset. Louisville is a good football team! But, they are not the great team that many of their fans, and members of the media, thought they were.

• Cmart0907
      2:49 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

If we can tackle we can win. Its simple. Mobile Qbs hasn’t been good to UK this year. Dobbs ripped UK. We can’t tackle nor stop the run. I don’t expect a win here. But I don’t expect a blow out. 34-24

2. dshwildcats
    2:36 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

Time for the Louisville trolls to comment now! Lol!!

3. dshwildcats
    3:29 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

Cmart0907,

Very good point, brother! If we could tackle in the open field like Houston did against Louisville, we will win the game. Unfortunately, we are a very poor open field tackling team. I believe that we can get some pressure on Jackson off the edges with Ware, Allen, etc. I think the problem will be when Jackson steps up in the pocket to avoid the rush, and then takes off down field. If our DL could stunt and twist like Houston’s did against Louisville, we could make it a long day for Jackson. But, that is just not part of our defense’s MO.

I expect Louisville to come out ticked off after the way they played against Houston. If we can survive the initial wave or two of emotion, and still be in the game at halftime, I think we have a great shot of winning. If they jump on us early, and we fall behind 14-17 points, I think we’re in trouble. Our offense is just not built to play too far from behind.

• Cmart0907
      3:44 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

If we can pressure Lamar early and get him uncomfortable and make him throw it we will be fine. Our corners are good enough to keep coverage. But UK don’t blitz at all. These qbs have all day to throw in the pocket. Our dline isn’t just very good. That’s where it all starts.

4. Luether
    3:33 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

Lamar Jackson is Superman…

5. raymond white
    4:53 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

LJ is not SUPERMAN the Clemson and Houston games proved that ” they used a regular football ” not kryptonite ( you should know that with a name like luther ). By the way, Houston lost to Memphis today ! On a given day the underdog can win, UK 31 ul 28 !

6. dshwildcats
    6:48 pm November 25, 2016 Permalink

Agreed, Raymond! Lamar can be contained with the right defensive scheme. Houston really bottled him up last Thursday night. In Lamar’s defense, his OL was atrocious; and, his WRs had several drops in that game. I didn’t think Louisville/Petrino did a good job of countering what Houston was doing defensively. Petrino’s forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know, but I think I would’ve rolled Lamar out of the pocket more often that game, giving him the run/pass option. I also think some slip screens and jet sweeps maybe would’ve slowed down Houston’s pressure a little.

If Petrino’s smart, I look for him to go back to what worked for them in last year’s game, with Lamar running the read option the majority of the snaps tomorrow. After last year’s game in Lexington, DJ Eliot publicly backed up what Josh Forrest told reporters after the game, in that we didn’t spend much time preparing for Jackson. Surely to goodness we’ve spent this week preparing for the read option!

7. Kevin C
    1:20 am November 26, 2016 Permalink

“So you’re telling me there’s a chance…”