Eddie Gran Stayed at Kentucky to Play in Atlanta

Over the last two offseasons Eddie Gran has been a hot commodity on the college football coaching carousel. After all the buzz, he’ll begin his fifth season in Lexington this spring.

“I love the community. I’m a part of the community, I really do feel that. I’ve been to some places before where you live there, but you just kind of live there. Here I just feel a part of it,” he said this morning on Kentucky Roll Call.

Last year Georgia offered him the chance to be the Bulldogs’ offensive coordinator. Following the 2019 season Gran’s name was tossed around for the FAU vacancy. This morning he made it abundantly clear that he enjoys working for Mark Stoops in Lexington.

I work for the best man and the best coach in the country. I mean that. Mark Stoops is a great person to work for and I’ve done this 37 years and I’ve been around a lot. It’s a great atmosphere. I come to work everyday and I’m smiling,” Gran said emphatically.

That fiery emotion manifested itself even more on the morning of Early Signing Day when he recalled what happened before accepting the job in 2016.

“You know, a lot of people told me not to come to Kentucky four years ago and it kind of ticked me off. ‘You couldn’t get it done. You can’t do this.’ Bull-puckey. You know what, we have gotten it done. Coach Stoops has done an unbelievable job. You think about Dr. Capilouto and Mitch Barnhart staying the course — Mark Stoops is going into his eighth year building it and that’s what you gotta do. You got to build and develop and I think Coach Stoops does that as well as anybody in the country. I think with these facilities, you can see the different types of recruits that are coming through on our campus. We look different coming off our bus. We’re competing and I don’t think we’re far away.”

He added, “I want to be in Atlanta and prove all those naysayers wrong. That’s why I’m here at Kentucky.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

9 Comments for Eddie Gran Stayed at Kentucky to Play in Atlanta

1. UKfansNKY
    1:40 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Coach Gran and ALL the COACHES on what you guys have done thus far! KY will be playing in Atlanta within the next 2 years, count on it!! GO CATS!!!

2. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:47 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Gran’s offense looked explosive at the start of the year even with a backup in against a really good UF team, but once he got hurt it took a hit. Yet Gran was able to bring in a WR and mold an offense around him that none of these players have ever played a down in and slowly brought the explosiveness back in. A one dimensional offense that has been difficult to stop.

White had to start with an almost entirely new team, install his defense, and get the new guys to buy in. Not only did he do it but may have made the defense better.

Have both made mistakes, yes, but they seem to have learned from them and adapted as the season went along. Has Stoops made mistakes, yes, but he also seems to have learned to not let off the gas as much when your team is dominating the game. If this staff continues to grow and with the talent we have/are getting I have a feeling that Kentucky maybe the dark horse no one sees coming next year.

3. Ben27
    1:49 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

He needs more articles like this one. We have a fantastic coaching staff. I hope they all stay a long time.

4. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    2:08 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

What a class act! We say we are spoiled with Coach Cal and everyone knows that, but what these football coaches are doing, its something very special! Im so proud to travel on the road and see the program grow each year. For coach Gran to take the criticism he has and take it on the chin and still want to be here, that is amazing character. He could have went to Georgia for crying out loud! But he wanted to stay here and be apart of something more than money and work towards a goal this staff has visualized and is bringing to fruition.

5. notFromhere
    2:12 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Good to hear, Coach Gran! The people that know football are thrilled to have you here. We’ll be in Atlanta for the 13th game sooner than anyone thinks

6. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    2:47 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

Can someone point me to the nearest brick wall?

7. 2andToodleLoo
    3:09 pm December 18, 2019 Permalink

“Bull-puckey. You know what, we have gotten it done.”
    And I repeat: Bull-puckey! Straight outta Andy Griffith Show.

8. cats646
    5:42 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been very critical of Gran in the past and even called for his job a few times. But after hearing this I want this man to retire here as well!! Let’s go win the east!! All I can say to anyone who doubts us is BULL PUCKEY!!