Eddie Gran is a Top Candidate for FAU Vacancy

The coaching carousel dominos are falling as Lane Kiffin prepares to leave Florida Atlantic to become the Ole Miss head coach. The vacancy at FAU could create one on Mark Stoops’ staff at Kentucky.

Bruce Feldman, the college football reporter for The Athletic that’s cornered the coaching carousel market, produced two names to potentially replace Kiffin at FAU: former Miami offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch and UK offensive coordinator Eddie Gran.

“Gran’s coached at Miami & FSU, and has long been regarded as one of the best recruiters in CFB, especially when it comes to Florida,” Feldman said.

Gran’s primary recruiting territory is in the area surrounding Boca Raton. He could hit the ground running in a C-USA program that’s played in two of the last three conference championship games. Gran is 54 years old. If he ever wants to be a head coach, this may be the time to do it.

Leaving Lexington will be a tough sell. After turning down the chance to be Georgia’s offensive coordinator, Gran was rewarded with a contract extension that will pay him $900,000 in 2020, only $50,000 less than what Kiffin made last season. With the current deal he is set to make $925,000 in 2021.

Monetary reasons aside, Gran has never had better tools to work with on his UK offense. Lynn Bowden, Ahmad Wagner and Logan Stenberg are the only significant contributors expected to depart. Terry Wilson will return with a stable of running backs, while Joey Gatewood and Beau Allen enter the quarterbacks’ meeting room.

Gran’s offenses have produced a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his four seasons at UK. One of the most successful runs in school history, Kentucky has won 31 games and played in four consecutive postseason bowls. He has his detractors, but keeping Gran and the rest of the coaching staff intact must be priority No. 1 for Mark Stoops this offseason.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for Eddie Gran is a Top Candidate for FAU Vacancy

1. BigBluSoTru
    3:01 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Why would gran want to stay here and be a career assistant . Really use common sense folks this is not Alabama. And those asistants move on from their.

2. CatfaninCinci
    3:01 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Please… PLEASE….. PUH-LEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. KYFAN4LYFE
    3:07 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

I say let him go. I really wish we could get someone who would commit to a truely dynamic wildcat/RPO style, that utilizes all of our weapons.

4. ClutchCargo
    3:13 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

This will all work out no matter what he does, but I hope he stays. Gran is much more important to the recruiting effort than many give him credit for.

5. N-UR-i
    3:20 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Stability has been UK’s real secret. I hope he stays, but to echo Clutch Cargo, I think things will work out either way.

6. ukgrad83
    3:27 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Don’t crucify me too badly but if he goes, would Petrino be a good replacement?

• BigBlue4Three
      3:38 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Quite possibly the most moronic post ever on here. And that’s saying something.

• 4everUKBlue
      3:49 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

I can’t believe I’m seeing this.

• ClutchCargo
      5:14 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

• sprtphan
      7:04 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Get real.

7. Bluebloodtoo
    3:30 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky has had success on the field many times, but they have not often had sustained success. This is mostly due to not retaining the staff that accomplished the success. If we want to have sustained success, then we should focus on retaining the staff that got us there.

8. Cats79
    3:47 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

I have often been critical of Gran play calling, but I didn’t know he’s a vital reason of getting recruits out of state of Florida. I gotta agree we need to keep the same staff intact to continue to be successful.

9. ukkatzfan
    3:48 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

Please stay here Eddie and keep Darin at UK too. Would really be a good job for him if you were to stay with us. Talk him out of it.

10. JASUN74
    5:43 pm December 7, 2019 Permalink

We 100% need to keep Eddie Gran here. He’s been one of the most important people during our successful run here and it’s crucial we keep him. Besides all the recruiting and Coaching, he’s one of the very best men you could ever be around. I know being a Christian isn’t important to a lot of people anymore, but it is to me and a lot of Kentuckians. Anyway it’s more about his morals and how he lives than Coaching to me. What parents wouldn’t want their kids to be around him and learn from him?

I do appreciate Eddie as much for his off the field stuff than on, but he’s also a very good coach. For the people who actually get what went on this year with our roster and with all the important injuries we had, what Eddie Gran has done the last two years has been nothing short of amazing. Before he came to Kentucky, I , like a lot of the fans here had only heard of him an never really knew him, but getting to know him, all I can say is he’s a great team first Coach and even better man.

If he does leave, he’ll have my support and I’ll be rooting for his team , I sure do hope he stays as our O C as long as he wants to be here.

11. apocalypse
    4:33 am December 8, 2019 Permalink

Eddie Gran has gotten the worst of UK fans and some of the best. The man can flat coach and now that he has some tools to work with, at the QB position, I hope he stays on and helps these young men succeed.

No one knows just how hard it is to change the very fabric of your offense at the drop of a hat and re-design it from the ground up after your starting QB goes down, and your back up, and your putting a “athlete” in at that position and need to put him in a position to not only help the team win, but be successful. Outstanding job the past two years sir, and I truly hope you decide to stick around as the talent at the QB position improves.

Not meaning this as a knock on anyone, but the skill set at the QB position has just improved 100% with Beau Allen and the new transfer, so lets ride this train and see where it goes. UK football has NEVER looked this promising before.

12. Dark Soul
    9:35 am December 8, 2019 Permalink

Gran is a great coach and it would suck to lose him.

13. John G
    4:09 pm December 8, 2019 Permalink

Please don’t leave Eddie! I’ll cut your grass, run errands…. Please stay in Lexington.

14. Bill3
    7:47 pm December 9, 2019 Permalink

Don’t go Eddie! If you stay I’ll send a dozen farm raised eggs a month from Bird Hollow. You will be the only OC or HC in the country to have these. Guaranteed to keep you healthy. FAU can’t match this offer.