Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 6.07.03 PM

In “it’s about damn time” news, the Herald-Leader’s Jen Smith is reporting that Eastern Kentucky will soon take action on the EKU football players involved in the Richmond bar/dorm fights with UK’s Drew Barker, Tymere Dubose, and Dorian Baker. Based on the security footage, this probably means Colton Scurry and Patrick Graffree will soon have some ‘splainin’ to do.

This story has gone viral over the past few days after Richmond police released security footage of both events, most notably former UK/EKU player Patrick Graffree sucker punching Drew Barker. The clip is startling for many reasons, but the most disturbing may be how neither of Drew’s teammates come to his aid after he’s knocked down. It’s been a hot topic of debate online, especially among former Kentucky players. Micah Johnson, who played linebacker at UK from 2006-2010, couldn’t believe it:

I mean, you know it’s bad when we’re agreeing with Colin Cowherd of all people:

Not surprisingly, Graffree (@EasyMoney_40) hasn’t tweeted since the video was released.

26 Comments for Eastern Kentucky reportedly taking action soon on football players involved in bar/dorm fights

1. J-Dub421
    1:29 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

EKU waiting until now to discipline their players is pretty weak, and it looks like the only reason anything is being done is due to public outcry after the videos went public. The coaches saw the videos and talked to their players months ago. I can see “waiting for the legal process to play out” for the bar fight with Scurry, but there is NO EXCUSE for not having booted Graffree for that sucker punch. That was premeditated, malicious, and unprovoked.

2. inside info2
    1:34 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

If it wasn’t an outright setup by the UK players against Barker, then at the least it shows they have no respect for Barker and it puts into question his relationship with his teammates. There are rumblings that he and his parents don’t really get along with the staff and team. This would seem to give credibility to those rumblings.

• American Errorist
      1:48 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

………………………Agree………………..

• BigBlueBoom
      1:57 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

except when the air gun incident happened and then this, Barker was hanging out with other UK players at the time. Seems like at least some of the players like him to be running around with him on their own time. Sure, they didn’t stick up for him when he got sucker punched. Clearly in our society that is frowned upon, judging from the reactions of the posts. But it was just one punch, not like he was getting beat down and they sat there and watched. Yes, it was a viscous punch but I’m kinda glad no one else jumped in, someone could’ve gotten seriously hurt or hurt someone seriously and be facing legal ramifications.

• BigBlueBoom
      1:58 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

*vicious (now I must say something more in order to not get scolded by the system)

• J-Dub421
      2:30 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

I have not heard a single word about guys on the team not liking Barker. How exactly would the UK players have set this up?? You like to talk a lot of crap about Barker but never have any proof.

• RealCatsFan
      3:00 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Weren’t Baker and Dubose the exact same kids who were involved with Barker in the air gun incident? Sounds like those three need to be kept separated. I’m wondering if Drew was the de facto “leader” of the group, and when he got sucker punched, they were in shock that it happened.

• inside info2
      3:09 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub–I don’t think I like to talk a lot about Barker. But the guy that did the sucker punching was an ex-UK player so theoretically it would have been easy for one of the guys with Barker to text their location and have Graffree show up. I’m not saying that is what happened, but the situation is just really weird. To have a teammate and supposed leader of your team embarrassed like that and then to not do ANYTHING–either taking up for him or helping him up and making sure he was ok– that just isn’t how that would normally go down.

RealCatsFan — it was Baker, Dubose and Williams. They could have been in shock, but they still should have had some kind of reaction. Well, other than politely putting his hat on backwards like it was pre-knockdown.

• J-Dub421
      4:24 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

One of the EKU guys put Barker’s hat back on. Grafree left UK after the 2012 season and the three UK players were all freshmen last season, so I doubt they really know each other. You also threw shade at Barker’s parents and I’ve never heard a peep that they were unhappy with the UK coaching staff/team. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, just that I’ve never heard about it. If you’re going to throw things like that out there, then I’d like some proof because it goes against everything I’ve ever heard.

• chief_cat
      4:38 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Makes no sense at all. Barker and Dubose were freshmen, while Baker was a sophomore. Graffree left UK the spring before Baker joined the team and a year before Barker and Dubose did. They never played with Graffree nor had any prior relationship with him. If you have some evidence of that, provide it. Otherwise, your comment is pure conjecture and highly unlikely. BTW – to my knowledge Boom Williams was not present. He certainly wasn’t mentioned in the grand jury hearing.

Personally if I were setting someone up for a fall I would be sure I was far away when it happened. I wouldn’t risk being caught up in the melee.

• inside info2
      5:29 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub–how exactly would you suggest that I provide proof of rumblings? Admittedly, I heard more about Towles and his parents than I did Barker, but I have still heard rumblings. All 2nd and 3rd hand, but still…

I never said it WAS a setup or that I thought it WAS a setup. I said IF it wasn’t than it shows a lack of respect at the very least. My main point was that the situation was very strange. I have been in and around fights in high school and college and have never witnessed someones friend getting hit and absolutely nothing happening, whether retaliating or helping the friend.

3. Bluebros
    1:36 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Who were the teammates in the video?

• Laker Cat 18
      1:43 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

That’s a good question. I don’t know faces to names of the UK football players. Can someone point out other Cats in the dorm fight video?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      1:49 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure Dubose is the kid in the tan baseball hat in the corner on his phone and I think Baker is in the green button-down. Not totally sure though.

• J-Dub421
      2:26 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

I’m not sure which guy he is, but the dude in the far left corner by the desk with a tan cap, and a stripy patterned hoddie with black sleeves was involved in the bar fight with Barker in the other video.

• J-Dub421
      2:26 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

*hoodie, I cannot type today.

4. I Love It
    1:44 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Similarly, if anyone decked Cowherd, no one would do anything…. Except cheer, and sell the video for all of humanity to enjoy.

5. CatsfaninFL
    1:52 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

I love how people seem to be more upset at the lack of players coming to his aid then the actual punch. Not saying our guys shouldn’t have stuck up for him, just saying let’s keep perspective. I know if it was me in that situation I would have been completely shocked at what just happened… I can understand not going after that tree of a psycho in a crowd of other EKU guys. Would like to think I would have at least helped up Drew tho.

6. Charlie Waite
    1:55 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Has someone confirmed that those are for sure UK players. When I first saw the video, I assumed that they were not…that he must be visiting a friend at EKU or something. Because it looks as if, not only did they not defend him, but were pointing him to the door after he finally got up. I hope these weren’t UK players….

• J-Dub421
      2:28 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

There are two other UK players, the rest are EKU players.

7. muffin
    2:52 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

it was 3 vs 10 (and probably more upstairs), and 1 of our 3 has a torn ACL. Only having Drew get knocked out was the BEST possible outcome. had the other 2 jumped in it would have led to a brawl, all 3 would have went to jail, and Baker could have re-injured his knee. People like to talk about what they would do in that situation but until you are in it you really have no idea.

• ClutchCargo
      3:06 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

Helping your buddy up off the floor would not have escalated the situation in any way, and would have been the natural thing for any “friend” to do. Regardless, maybe they will all stay the hell out of Richmond and EKU from now on.

8. muffin
    3:33 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

well apparently just being there was enough for one of them to get knocked the hell out, so who knows what would have escalated the situation.

9. UKfansNKY
    3:46 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree it was hard to watch as his Teammates stood and watched BUT I would have to say I’m glad they did NOT retaliate because if the did they prolly would be in trouble and or suspended too.

GO CATS!!! If the sorry ass-hole are still on EKU football Team come Oct. 3rd that’s when you pay them back by whipping their asses!! Send Hyde around to take out Graffree @ Defensive end a couple of times believe he will feel that!!

10. Dave Ball
    7:16 pm April 16, 2015 Permalink

I got sucker punched in college while trying to keep under-aged kids from entering one of our fraternity parties and the kid that suckered me was off like a shot because every member was out of that house and had my back (it was like a stampede)…if you don’t have a guy’s back it’s just plain bad form…some will say level heads (perhaps a cheer more than derision then) as it certainly could have escalated from that point forward…but then again, what the hell are they doing at EKU anyway…that’s just inviting something..especially after the bar incident…so mixed messages and mixed feelings about what to expect from kids representing the University of Kentucky…applaud them for being wise enough to just simply extricate from the situation without inflaming it and thus bringing more bad press onto campus but on the other hand deride them for not showing backbone while their teammate lays sprawled out is a dichotomy of laughable proportions…

• satcheluk
      3:30 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

The key difference between your story and this one, is your’s was a home game and they were on the road and greatly outnumbered. It’s easy to be an armchair Rocky!