Drew Barker Must Be a Leader Moving Forward

IMG_4052

All offseason we heard about how Drew Barker has become the leader of this team. Kentucky needs Barker to be that leader more now, than ever.

The “forget and move on” mentality seems to be what Barker is telling his teammates.

“I just tell them we got another game next Saturday, there’s not time and to sit here and sulk about it,” Barker said. “Just got to take everything that happened and translate that it into next Saturday. Hopefully we’ll be victorious.”

A loss like this is not something that will go away quietly. Barker knows the only people’s opinions that matter are the ones in the locker room.

“We just got to come together as unit and not really worry about those external distractions or what anyone is saying about us,” Barker said.

If Drew Barker really is the leader that we’ve all heard about, he will get his team refocused and ready for Florida. He has to.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

12 Comments for Drew Barker Must Be a Leader Moving Forward

1. shelby
    11:15 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

Drew was good last night; and he had defenders in his face fairly often. The wide receivers were good last night; the secondary, with the exception of one blown coverage was great—so good in fact that they forced So Miss to go strictly to the run…our downfall. If this defensive front can’t do a better job against the run, we honestly may go 3-9 this year.

• Billy Hill
      11:35 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

TOTALLY agree with this.

• shepdog3720
      12:06 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Two blown coverages that cost them two touchdowns, one at the end of the 1st half and one early in the 2nd half. We didn’t force them to go to the run, Southern Miss made adjustments in the 2nd half to run the ball. Our coaches don’t seem to make in game adjustments, of if they do, they have never worked.

2. dbwill
    11:46 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

I consider my self to be a pretty reasonable fan and all along I knew it was possible that the Cats could lose this game…But not like this. This was just an embarrassing loss, you can’t give up points like that and expect to beat anyone. I’m just frustrated, I really like Stoops but I think it has become evident at this point that the problem is him. I’ve honestly considered not watching anymore this year unless a coaching change is made. I hate to do that but I’m out of excuses and I can’t keep watching the team give up leads of over 20+ points.

• Billy Hill
      11:51 am September 4, 2016 Permalink

At the game, the atmosphere in the first half was fantastic. Student section where I was, was electric.

Then it seemed like everyone tightened up in the second half. Like “we’ve seen this movie before”, even after being up 35-10. Remarkable.

I hate it. I hate it for the fans. I hate it for the players. I even hate it for Stoops, who I think has done some great things here. UK football is a TOUGH job, as history has shown….

• runningunnin.454
      12:08 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, it was not Barker’s fault; he did his job in the 1st half. And, the 2nd half was not due to our opponent’s adjustments; fact is it’s all on the coaching staff; you could see it coming our first couple of possessions…..you can’t take your foot off the gas and try to kill the clock….not in basketball, and not in football.
      The defense was decent in the first half; but, our inability to move the chains left them on the field to the point of exhaustion in the 2nd half.

3. helixvortexv2
    12:23 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Should have put in Stephen Johnson in second half, not to create controversy but to give the defense some plays off. Pass fumble, 3 and out, and so on made it hard on the defense. Johnson may have added an element of a running QB ie Lamar Jackson which could by time to get offense back on track. Then put Barker back in to see if mixing it up would help. Dawson ran offense in second half very similar to Eastern did to us slant passes and draw run plays till we puked. eastern almost beat us and So Miss did.

4. blueballs80
    12:25 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

This is year 4 and our defensive minded head coach and his lovely d coordinator still can’t figure out how to stop the run. This season is shot and Stoops has to go. Let’s bring in Lane Kiffin. Mitch Barnhart won’t have any fans next year coming to the games if he keeps Stoops.

5. cats paw
    12:26 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

imagine if you will….this game wasnt a home game and KY not having the benefit of adrenalin and turnovers to have the start they did??? i think its fair to say Dawson could have laid 75-80 points on us. and this being against a coach that was solely hired based on his defensive mind.

• Billy Hill
      3:52 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

Where were you in the days leading up to the game? I looked everywhere, and couldn’t find your prediction anywhere?

6. original slappy
    3:05 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

At some point you have to start putting more defenders in the box last night. You cannot allow a Conference USA team to methodically run the ball down your throat over and over again. Our DB’s would be put on an island, I know, but they are arguably our most talented group. Put them to the test and stop the run. Something has to change on the defensive side but as we have learned over the past 4 seasons, no change will be made by this high school level defensive coaching staff.

7. cayts23
    6:30 pm September 4, 2016 Permalink

I think this article should have been titled Mark Stoops Must Be a Leader Going Forward, Barker was fine except on 4 or 5 plays his line hung him out to dry on some.