Drew Barker is Done for the Year

barker

Mark Stoops announced quarterback Drew Barker will have season-ending back surgery two weeks from now before Thanksgiving.  Stoops said Barker is expected to be back for Spring Practice.

Barker last played against New Mexico State.  He earned his first significant snaps last year at Vanderbilt, earning the starting position for the final two games of the season against Charlotte and Louisville.  He has five total starts, completing 53 of 106 passes for 698 yards, 5 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in his young career.

A redshirt sophomore, the former four-star recruit could potentially redshirt this season after only playing in two games and one quarter.  The news is unfortunate, but expected.  Godspeed, Mr. Barker.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

7 Comments for Drew Barker is Done for the Year

1. The Original WTF Guy
    6:12 pm November 10, 2016 Permalink

How can a redshirt SO redshirt? He could, at the end of his eligibility, request a sixth year medical hardship, but he can’t redshirt twice.

• Nick Roush
      6:24 pm November 10, 2016 Permalink

Your use of terminology is better than mine. I don’t completely understand the rule, but he only played two games and one quarter. That makes him eligible for that medical hardship, but I think he needs another injury unfortunately

• foamfinger
      8:55 pm November 10, 2016 Permalink

Per athleticscholarships.net:

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

-The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.

-The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.

-The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.

-The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Medical hardship is not a red shirt, but people just call it that because of the use of the terminology something shirt. Remember grey-shirt?

2. BluKudzu
    6:12 pm November 10, 2016 Permalink

Hoping for a full recovery. Get back as soon as you can. Keeping you in our thoughts.

3. sincitycat
    6:20 pm November 10, 2016 Permalink

Pulling for Drew and wishing him the best with his surgery.

4. notaprinceaking
    7:50 pm November 10, 2016 Permalink

I believe this is the end of the Barker era. I hate it for the kid, he helped bring talented kids with him to UK. Whether he plays or not, I hope Stoops involves him somehow. I think with Clark coming in and Hoak redshirting, the writings on the wall. Danny Clark didnt commit to come bench warm. I believe UK has a new starting QB next year. I wish whoever it is success but no way we keep this many QB next year.

• Lunthax
      3:19 am November 11, 2016 Permalink

I wholeheartedly agree… I’m not sure if many really paid much attention to it but I think the team actually plays or plays better when he’s not in.