Drew Barker: “All that stuff’s behind me”

Barker-MediaDay

After the airsoft gun incident last season and the Richmond incidents in the offseason, it’s an understatement to say redshirt freshman Drew Barker faced a lot of questions at Media Day.

I’ve been following Drew since his commitment to Kentucky in May 2013; in fact, I spoke to him every week of his senior season for his diary on KSR. When he picked UK over South Carolina, many believed Drew would be the future of the program; a bright, talented kid who had his head screwed on straight and was determined to lead Kentucky in the right direction. Unfortunately, he stumbled in his freshman year in a way most of us — especially this blogger right here — could never have imagined. Like Shannon Dawson said, growing up in today’s social media world can’t be easy, and I definitely wouldn’t want my mistakes as a 18 or 19-year-old to define me, which is why I wanted to hear from Drew himself.

As the horde of reporters around Drew thinned, I stepped in and finally got to ask him the questions I’ve wanted to since last year. The coaches praised Drew’s maturity all morning, but I wanted to know if Drew had a message for the fans after his disappointing off-the-field drama. He did, and looked me square in the eye, reminding me of the polite kid who was the first person to ever call me “ma’am” two years ago.

“All that stuff’s behind me. I’ve really matured as a person, taking all the resources that I could from the university,” Barker said, mentioning the open-door policy Stoops, Dawson, and the entire staff have for both on-the-field issues and off. He even said he’s been seeing the team’s sports psychologist Ben Conmy to work through his problems, and it’s made a difference.

“I got off the road a little bit, the beaten path, but I feel like I’m back on it and just becoming more mature, using all the resources that I can, same stuff,” Barker told a group of reporters.

What about Drew’s relationships with his teammates? Anyone who saw the video of Patrick Graffree sucker punching Drew noticed how his teammates Dorian Baker and Tymere Dubose didn’t even help him, which isn’t exactly a good indicator of team chemistry.

“They’re really good, they haven’t changed at all,” Drew said of his friendships with his teammates. “I would probably say they’ve been strengthened. My teammates are awesome, I’m friends with every one of them. I try to be a guy who can get along with everybody. I think the rapport is really good with the team.”

Like everything Drew says, it sounded great, albeit a bit scripted. Judge for yourself in the video below:

16 Comments for Drew Barker: “All that stuff’s behind me”

1. that's not all
    2:03 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

Let’s not forget that drew put out a very insensitive tweet about the Japanese just a couple months ago so only time will tell but him just saying that doesn’t prove anything.

2. Reality Cat
    2:08 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

The interesting thing is that Drew may never start a game for the Cats. With Towles the starter for two more years, and Gunnar coming in early. I could easily see a scenario whereby Barker never gets his chance.

• If Paddy Ice has the year I hope he has and that I think he’s capable of, he might be playing on Sunday next year and Drew will be the man. We know Patrick has the size and tools the NFL likes in a QB. I certainly don’t see Gunnar starting as a freshman.

3. An Utter Bust
    2:08 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

I have a strong, instinctive urge that Barker will transfer from UK before the 2016 season . . . either voluntarily or out of necessity. Good riddance.

• CardFan502
      3:07 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

We’d take him.

• Maybe
      8:04 am August 8, 2015 Permalink

If Barker transferred to U of L, he’d be 5th string, not 2nd.

4. ClutchCargo
    2:55 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

My fellow Cat fans need to stop caring whether (insert any player’s name here) ever “gets his chance.”. If you want to start, be the best QB and take care of business on and off the field. Drew’s job right now is to be ready to pick up the slack if Towles gets hurt or is otherwise unable to get it done. Period.

• Eyebleedblue
      3:36 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

Completely agree. Patrick is a model citizen and leader, Barker may have just needed to grow up, but talk is cheap and actions matter. Hope he learns behind him and last year is just a learning time for him.

5. DylanG
    3:31 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

Look at all these UL fans in here posing as UK fans. They LITERALLY don’t have a life.

• jaws2
      3:48 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

He’s been a little bit of a problem since coming here. I’m not a bit surprised by this.

6. seriously
    7:41 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

Some UK fans kill me. You was all over this kid when he committed. Then They start Patrick like they was going to the whole time. Yall are stupid if you think there is or has been a QB competition in practice. Stoops made Towles the guy since day one. Now yall talking bout barker like hes trash. Sad! I dont see how him getting knocked out is him caysing trouble first off. The whole airsoft gun thing was silly i get that. But these players are still kids. Fans seem to forget that.. n im getting tired of everyobe acting like towles is Joe Montana.. Get real for a change n stop acting like this guy took us to the SEC Championship or something.. Tired of it. Let this dude play out full college career before you start saying things like if he has the yr i think hes gonna have.. just stop. I hope Barker does transfer. No kid deserves his fans to throw him out the door after a few kid mistakes.. im a UK fan. Not a troll. But when i see stupid fans on here running there mouth saying good riddance, just shows your stupidity. .

• Remedial English teacher
      12:00 pm August 8, 2015 Permalink

Come see me…soon!

7. seriously
    7:44 pm August 7, 2015 Permalink

Maybe he shoulda went to South Carolina.. Just saying

• Maybe
      8:02 am August 8, 2015 Permalink

Well, Spurrier did want him. How far is the drive from Columbia to East Carolina?

8. jwatts
    5:23 pm August 8, 2015 Permalink

I agree with Dylan if these aren’t UL fans they are pretty sad UK fans

9. jwatts
    5:26 pm August 8, 2015 Permalink

Towles will likely be gone after this year and I’m sure Barker will get in some thi s year and take over next year .Why don’t some of you find something better to do than pick on a kid it’s so sad on your part.