Disorganization reigns in Kentucky’s 21-17 loss to Vandy

© Jim Brown

© Jim Brown

© Jim Brown

If you had faith this would be the game Kentucky would turn it around, well, I’m sorry. Different week, same old story, even more frustrating ending. In what is surely the worst loss of the Mark Stoops era, Kentucky lost to Vandy 21-17.

The Cats will go back to Lexington 4-6 with more than a busload of questions following them. Both Patrick Towles and Drew Barker played and both gave the offenses signs of life, but the play calling on both sides of the ball ultimately sealed Kentucky’s fate.

Basketball starts in a half hour, but Nick and I will be here to wrap things up at Vandy after a very frustrating afternoon.

14 Comments for Disorganization reigns in Kentucky’s 21-17 loss to Vandy

1. Katya
    7:36 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

Call a timeout for a punt but not a field goal attempt. Smart play calling there. Putting Towles back in the game was a terrible mistake as well. Loss is on the coaching staff. Stoops has lost the fans (this season) and the players.

• maximsm
      8:13 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

So agree, if stoops staying need new asst coaches who know what is going on.

2. Sublem
    7:44 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

No excuse losing this game, UK has too many chances. This is all on coaching, this is getting rather pathetic and old.

• Sublem
      7:45 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

had*

3. Kevin C
    8:01 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

The really sad thing is, if Stoops manages 6-6, and we get a garbage bowl, he’ll still get a bonus and likely a new contract to boot. If that happens, I’ll never watch or attend another UK football game ever again, and I’m telling my dad he should sell his season tickets.

4. Jeremy D
    8:20 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

Question – Would the UK administration put up with this inept coaching if it were basketball?
    Answer – Hell no

Solution – Blow it up, we deserve better than this. The same thing will happen next year.

5. shepdog3720
    8:29 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

” “but the play calling on both sides of the ball” ultimately sealed Kentucky’s fate.”

Mrs. Thompson, maybe you didn’t watch the same game as me, but our defense gave up a total of 7 points, and that was on the trick play that our D fell for. I would probably change your original post to clarify the fact that it was our offense that was truly offensive AGAIN! I am starting to wonder if Patrick Towles has some deep secret on Coach Stoops, because it looks like he is willing to fall on the sword for Towles. Yes, I understand Barker threw a pick 6, but even then, you are looking at a total of 14 points between Barker and the defense…..Towles has been so inaccurate this season and Stoops STILL went back to him for the 2nd half.

• shepdog3720
      8:43 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

And for the record, I have been one of the most adamant supporters of Towles. He certainly isn’t the only issue, but his decision-making and accuracy have been mediocre at best.

6. ukblue22
    8:31 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

This team and coaches need to decide if they’re really here to play. The defense won their part of the game. The special teams and offense gave up the game. A pick six and a blocked punt were the difference in the game.

Does anyone still think we don’t need a special teams coach?

7. Scrappy Cat
    9:56 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

I am baffled that Stoops was so weak as to give into a fan base crying for a QB change in week 10. Not only week 10, but during a must win game. It should not have happened, and we should have won this game. I can’t understand why these receivers drop so many passes and the offensive play calling was suspect. Way too many mistakes on the field and in the calling of the game. The pick six was also very expensive it costed us one much needed win.

• shepdog3720
      11:15 pm November 14, 2015 Permalink

I guess we watched a different game….between our defensive breakdown on the trick play and the pick 6 interception, Vandy totaled 14 points. We scored 17. If Stoops was weak, it was by giving the ball back to Towles in the 2nd half. He is slow at his decision making and makes tons of inaccurate throws. The pick 6 DID NOT COST US THE WIN. (see fumble at the 4 yard line or interception in the end zone…2 huge opportunities that created 0 points)

8. Craig Sagers Suits
    2:03 am November 15, 2015 Permalink

So KSR and BBN can I get my apology now for pointing out that this team would tank at some point or another during this season BEFORE we kicked off? I’m not even sure we make it to 6-6 at this point.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:12 pm November 15, 2015 Permalink

Stick to rooting for the rifle team – its obvious you cant have fun with all of this.

9. Craig Sagers Suits
    9:27 pm November 16, 2015 Permalink

I think I might. The rifle team has shown more accuracy than Patrick Towles has, ever. There’s actually more to firing a weapon with dead on accuracy vs throwing a football, IF you’ve ever taken the time to study or firing rifles.