Deciphering players’ tweets about Shannon Dawson’s exit

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

The news that Shannon Dawson is out as UK’s offensive coordinator has taken over the internet this afternoon, and even UK’s players are tweeting about it. That means it’s time for another round of “Guess that Emoji,” starring the UK football team.

Blake Bone starts us off:

I’m taking that to mean he’s pretty happy about the news. Alexander Montgomery seems to be too, responding with “Yahtzee”:

What about Patrick Towles, who just announced he will transfer from Kentucky?

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Very cryptic, Patrick.

There are a few ways to interpret this. Originally, I thought it meant “Dawson is not the greatest of all time” (because using a goat emoji is how the kids say that these days) but you could also read it as “Dawson is the scapegoat,” which would imply Towles thinks there are bigger problems than just him on the staff. The latter thought is backed up by Towles’ next tweet:

Some players, like TV Williams, just seem frustrated that UK’s getting yet another offensive coordinator after two have left the program in as many years:

Drew Barker and Jeff Badet just wished him well:

Meanwhile, it looks like some recruits, like 2017 QB commit Mac Jones, now have some things to think about:

I’m sure more tweets will roll in throughout the day, so I’ll add them to this post.

UPDATE: Towles confirms he was going for “Sacrificial Lamb” with his goat tweet about Dawson.

adjf

20 Comments for Deciphering players’ tweets about Shannon Dawson’s exit

1. PAK
    12:31 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I take Patricks first tweet as x = not, meaning that he is not the scapegoat and therefore the move was warranted.

• fatbrat
      12:39 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I doubt it Towles said he would love to sit in the same room with him again. Sounds like he could follow Dawson. There is going to be another struggle on “O” again next season.

• Booby Petrino
      1:07 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

no way, he totally meant it as “escape” goat

2. PAK
    12:37 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

also – the first one I think means he isnt going to say anything bad about him. and the “compliment” rings as a backhanded one. JMO

3. JKyle
    12:41 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Everything Patrick Towles has done since announcing he is leaving Kentucky he has did with class, I don’t think he would throw a back handed compliment to S. Dawson via twitter.

• Bluecreeker
      5:20 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Yet he makes a questionable comment regarding scapegoats for “other issues” which I percieve as a shot at the program.
      Don’t let the door hit ya where the lawd split ya.

4. Laker Cat 18
    12:44 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Now is when we will publicly see the players who are mature vs. immature. They will call themselves out from Stoops commenting on the lack of player effort this season. The egos will show.

5. Nick Papageorgio
    12:47 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Asking if these tweets are “locker room divide” is certainly giving us the news in the most ridiculous manner possible…They are kids using emojis. Eh….maybe I’m just getting old…

6. SoCalCat
    1:02 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I hope those that enjoy the chaos cause by impatience are celebrating today and post kudos to Stoops for his leadership. 😛

7. Bluebloodtoo
    1:08 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

There are going to be mixed feeling about most decisions, and I’m not sure that college kids opinions are the ones to be most trusted. I will say that it seems to be very reactive from a head coach to keep changing OC’s to solve offensive problems. He’s asking for time to make things right, but keeps changing his OC to solve problems. Something doesn’t seem right there. I have no idea what’s going on and am not really a football person, but these moves don’t seem that logical from the outside.

• fatbrat
      1:24 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Brown left for a head coaching job. As far as I know this is the first change at OC that Stoops has made.

• Bluebloodtoo
      2:50 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

That little nugget would make me feel less concerned about Stoops’ decision making, at least.

8. SmartCat
    1:09 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Patrick is no longer apart of the football program, so to me his tweets/feelings are irrelevant. I am more concerned with the current offensive players and the incoming recruits. I am very anxious to see who Stoops has on his list.

9. Melvit
    1:21 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Happy Feet Towles.

• chimichanga
      1:57 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Whatever dude, he did his best and it wasn’t good enough. Not unlike your classless comment.

10. Sentient Third Eye
    1:23 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I know it makes me an old fart, but I really hate emojis. It’s like we’re devolving back to the level of hieroglyphics or something. Broken english and dumbed-down acronyms are now too hard for kids in tweeting?

11. fatbrat
    1:26 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

I hope Stoops gets a OC that knows how to coach the QB position

12. Bluecreeker
    5:24 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

@Chimichanga – So………you think Towels did a good job at UK? Well, he is a great kid, but he has not lived up to the expectations of his rankings out of high school. Lest to blame the coaches at UK, Patrick spent his off season working with pro developers.
    Can we not say the truth without being called classless?

By the by…..if there was distention in the locker room then I say, throw the old average guys out and let the young guys who hold the future of the program play!!!!!
    I am all in and stoked for next season!

13. blueballs80
    12:23 am December 18, 2015 Permalink

Patrick – thank.you for leaving and taking your interception prone decisions to another school. I bet you nothing will change because you don’t have the mental.edge it requires to play QB..