Dawson has no hard feelings toward UK, said return felt “weird”

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 5.30.41 PM

Shannon Dawson declined any and all interviews following his team’s win in Commonwealth Stadium, but today he opened up about his return to Lexington while speaking to reporters back in Hattiesburg.

He said:

“When you go back to the place you worked, of course the game means a lot. But, I’m not so sure it would’ve meant any more than any other (SEC) team. Winning against an SEC team means a lot to this program. Coach Hopson sold our team on, look, this place was built on that. So not having one for awhile was important. So just the fact of that made the game important. Now the fact that we were playing them, obviously for me, it made it a little more weird.

I was going back there and when I hugged Coach Schlarman before the game, and I love that guy — there’s a lot of people over there I care deeply about. And I don’t have any bad feelings towards Coach Stoops. I talked to him Thursday before the game and I talked to him after the game. I mean, look, head coaches have to make tough decisions. That’s the bottom line. We wasn’t very good on offense last year. I get that. I have probably more regret than I do, you know, bad feelings. So I’m always the kind of person — I’m going to look at myself. I could’ve done better.”

“Everything in my opinion works out the right way. I had no hard feelings at all. I wanted to win the game for multiple reasons. The way it played out, obviously it was great. Winning the game was good but I don’t want to downplay anything there because that is a great place.”

Watch the clip here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Dawson has no hard feelings toward UK, said return felt “weird”

1. runningunnin.454
    7:57 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

Ha Ha….it did take him a half to stop throwing to our strength, and start running to our weakness.

2. onsides
    8:02 pm September 5, 2016 Permalink

He adjusted his gameplan at halftime. I wish he was our coach…….

3. katmandue2you
    12:39 am September 6, 2016 Permalink

Does anyone agree with me that some KSR personnel should be smacked upside the head like the punks they manifest themselves to be for dogging Shannon Dawson all summer? He just rubbed your nose in his own shit. I get sick of “the most ridiculous manner possible” always morphing into “the most ignorant assed manner possible”.

4. fauxbobknight
    8:46 am September 6, 2016 Permalink

what happened fellas? the Shannon Dawson jokes were flowing this time last week.

5. loservilletard
    11:32 am September 6, 2016 Permalink

he did a lot better calling plays than he did at UK. Just add him to the list of coaches who are better after they leave UK than they were at UK.

• fauxbobknight
      1:33 pm September 6, 2016 Permalink

im not buying that for a minute. he stuck to his guns (steady diet of run plays, even when down) and was able to stick with it because he no longer works for a micro-manager of a head coach who starts to tense up in the second half of close games.

the players at southern miss believe in him and his play calling abilities while the players (and fans) at uk were looking for any and every reason to jump ship. He had plenty of success before UK and if last week was any indication he will have plenty of success down the road.

6. loservilletard
    2:40 pm September 6, 2016 Permalink

name one game last year where he ran plays that resulted in wide open receivers getting passed to 2-30 yards down field. Go ahead…name them….
    WHile you are at it, name one game where they wer having success running the ball and he stuck to that plan…go ahead, I’ll wait for your answer