Danny Trevathan drops what would have been a pick six

Danny Trevathan and Wesley Woodyard got a lot of publicity during last night’s Denver/Baltimore game, most of it good. However, Trevathan dropped what would have been a pick six during the fourth quarter because he started celebrating too early. D’oh. Check it out in the video above and shake your dreads.

Afterwards, Trevathan, entering his second year in the league, said it was a “young mistake”:

“It was a young mistake. I was just in the moment,” Trevathan said. “I thought I was in the end zone. Next time I’m going hold the ball up high and give it to a fan or something. But it’s not going to happen again. I’m growing from it and I’m not let going to let anybody stop me.”

To make matters worse, Wesley Woodyard also went down on that play with an ankle injury, but returned later on.

I think Danny’s learned his lesson.

17 Comments for Danny Trevathan drops what would have been a pick six

1. Honky Kong
    9:41 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

KSR needs a “Cats in the NFL” section. Just a suggestion.

2. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:41 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

I can no longer call DeSean Jackson an idiot for doing the same thing…

3. KevinM
    9:41 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Wow, this can’t be his first time crossing the end zone, can it?

4. Marty Moore
    9:42 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Ouch. That hurts.

5. Ridge Runner
    9:47 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

OK… it pains me –hell it pisses me off to say this & I love Danny. But that was just stupid. Nothing to analyze. stupid. Moving on…

6. JCPOSTEL
    9:51 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Trevathan is still the man… wont be surprised if all this publicity helps him in the long run. Dumb mistake but he still played extremely well.

Also, I agree with comment 1… while it would basically be a blog following like 3 players, it would be cool to follow the cats in the NFL, especially during training camp. And with stoops here, that section of the blog will have steady growth over the years.. go cats

7. Japrick
    9:57 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Why the rush to let go of the ball. You see this all the time, where the player drops the ball as soon as they cross into the end-zone. It’s like they’re trying to say “See how easy this is?”

8. Coach Stevens
    10:14 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Thank you Danny, now I can finally RIP.
    Leon Lett

9. BroncoPacker
    10:31 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Despite this setback, Woodyard and Trevathan both played extremely well and were highly praised by the announcing crew last night, who on more than one occasion said “Denver’s middle linebackers Trevathan and Woodyard are extremely fast and can run with anyone.” At this Point you’ve got to be proud of both guys and I’ll be rooting for a Bronco’s v. Packer’s Superbowl!

#1…there used to be a post every Tuesday chronicling the stats of UK guys in the NFL, I’m sure the idea you suggested is in the works

10. wildcat whisperer
    11:20 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Danny was very fortunate this was fourth quarter of a blowout win…still quite embarrassed I’m sure, but if something like that was going to happen, there’s no better time for it.

11. The "U"
    11:22 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

The Miami Hurrricanes have a site called ProCanes. The “U” hs more players on NFL rosters than any team in collge football!
    Until the streak was broken last year. A former Hurricane scored at least 1 TD in 147 straight weeks. Never will happen again!

12. Lexington 3
    11:32 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

That was a stupid move. And what does “youth” have to do with it? I think you could find 10,000 high school players who would know not to do that.

13. Joker
    11:39 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

U can take the player out of UK but you can’t take UK out of the player.

14. BlueDeuce
    12:57 pm September 6, 2013 Permalink

They should have just invoked baseball’s double play rule…honestly, is the second baseman or shortstop even near the base when the flip the double play? No! He was going untouched to the end zone…I say give him 6!

15. Jordan
    1:17 pm September 6, 2013 Permalink

“Joker” – awesome comment

16. Rise
    1:47 pm September 6, 2013 Permalink

The definition of UK football.

17. Han
    1:58 pm September 6, 2013 Permalink

That is why you put it down in the middle of the end zone, dunk it through the uprights, or hand it to the ref. This exact mistake as been made more than once by players, and that’s one more time than it should have ever happened. Not something he’ll ever do again, especially since he almost Nerlens Noel’d his teammate who was trying to clean up his mess.

Collinsworth was drooling over him and Woodyard before that play, too. No mention that they both came from UK, but lots of talk about how they were flying around, benefiting from a strong defensive front and shutting the Ravens down. Still, looking good for them going forward.

Also, Tamme got in at the end of the game, so maybe he’ll be able to earn some time back soon.