Damien Harris tweeted and deleted message about UK game

Alabama running back Damien Harris has had Saturday’s game circled on his calendar since the schedule came out. The former No. 1 player in the state of Kentucky will go against his home state school and the runner-up in his recruitment, and it’s “personal,” he says.

dh-tweet

Harris quickly deleted the tweet after he sent it last night, but the message was sent and received in the Bluegrass. This week is personal.

(And Alabama is a 31-point favorite.)

Article written by Drew Franklin

50 Comments for Damien Harris tweeted and deleted message about UK game

1. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    8:29 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Lol talk about punching down. This is worse than Matt picking on Captain Suntan.

2. Mathlete
    8:32 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Why make it personal? It’s a game, and one Bama will probably roll in. I know there are some fans who chastised him for his choice of school but for the most part we’re over it.

3. plbutcher99
    8:38 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

What’s his problem? He chose Alabama over UK…his decision. He would’ve been treated as a STAR here but he chose to be just another piece at Alabama. Alabama is far superior to UK and the majority of the fan base understands this. He’ll probably win another championship or two before he leaves. But why is this “personal”?? Is this a dig at the UK fans who harassed him after his decision or is it a dig at the coaches? I just don’t get it.

• Bobmorrison
      8:51 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

It’s a way to get his name back in the headlines.

• bairdhall25
      9:26 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky fans were VERY nasty to him after he picked Bama. While it was only a small group of fans… that is all it takes to have a huge negative impression on an 18 year old.

• Musehobo
      9:31 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Bairdhall has it right. The small group of idiots that gave him a hard time probably put a bad taste in his mouth. If you want to be angry at someone, blame our fans that don’t know tweeting hateful stuff to a kid is stupid.

• somerset bill
      10:43 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

i’ll bet the biggest reason for this is not the response of some fans to him picking alabama, but the more recent issue of the tv show that ranked the bama running backs below the kentucky running backs. and possibly some kentucky fans’ response to that.

4. WestCoastCat
    8:45 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Why? You left us and got the better end of the deal. I’ve been on the “let the kid be” train since he left, but if he’s gonna be a jerk about it maybe I’ll revise my position.

• fauxbobknight
      9:06 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

his comments are directed towards the people who weren’t on the “let the kid be” train, not you. isnt that obvious?

• WestCoastCat
      9:41 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Maybe you missed the part where he got the better end of the deal. Way to go, keyboard warrior!

• fauxbobknight
      12:38 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

i didn’t miss it and like i said earlier his comment WAS NOT directed towards the level headed fans who know he got the better end of the deal, it was a shot at the fans who couldn’t understand the reality that he did what was best for him. there is no need to act offended by a comment that wasn’t even directed towards you.

5. Bobmorrison
    8:50 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Looks like Damien wasn’t getting enough love down in T-town and needed to stir the pot a bit to get the ole twitter mentions back up and going… Yawn. We’ve seen this one before, I’m not taking the bait.

• fauxbobknight
      9:15 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

you leaving a jealous/sarcastic comment on the story is the definition of “taking the bait”.

6. jman3715
    8:58 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Looks like someone misses being a big fish in a smaller pond.

• fauxbobknight
      9:11 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

hes leading the #1 team in the country in rushing yards…i think he is doing just fine lol.

7. Kindergarten Cop
    9:00 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I will be honest I kind of thought that our fans acted ridiculous when he committed to Bama. I kind of felt sorry for him. But now I feel like I’m not a big fan of this kid. Why stir the pot? Your team is superior everyone knows that. You made the right decision now act like it. I would say the same thing if one of our basketball players did it to their home state. I think the best thing fans can do is ignore this guy. Damien one of these days your career will be over and you might want to come home, don’t bash people that could help you in the future.

• fauxbobknight
      9:08 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

are you really that upset by a college kid making a “this week is personal” comment?

• Kindergarten Cop
      9:15 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I’m not upset lol….I just don’t think its a good look. And this is not the only time he has made a comment about Kentucky.

• Musehobo
      9:33 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

“It’s not a good look.”???

Oh come on. This is SPORTS. Sports. We like rivalries. He wasn’t rude at all. Get some perspective.

• Kindergarten Cop
      9:48 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Perspective?
      Yes I know we are talking about SPORTS.
      All I am saying is that he shouldn’t try to make enemies with his home state. I think you all are taking my comment the wrong way. I could careless what he chooses to do. It doesn’t hurt my feelings, I just like players who can win and act better than trolls on twitter. And I don’t think we could consider Bama a rivalry. lol You get perspective.

8. Patches
    9:02 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

LOL that jerk cannot see he would be 4th string here behind Boom, Kemp and Snell.

• kylequintoncox
      9:37 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

He’s leading the #1 team in the nation in rushing and 8.6 yard a carry against a stronger schedule- At worse, Harris would be the #2 back, but far more likely, he’d start and Boom would complement him.

Take away NMSU, the backs haven’t been amazing by any means. And you list Kemp is laughable- he’s had 17 carries for a whopping 2.1 yards a carry.

9. Sentient Third Eye
    9:07 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Harris always seemed like a decent kid. This looks like simply a case of a tweet that came out wrong. He probably meant it was “personal” because playing his home state university is a big deal to him, but it came out like he was taking a shot at UK. So he deleted it. More than likely, that’s the whole story.

• real True Blue Cat
      9:57 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Disagree. He punked us and led us on long after his decision was made. He enjoyed the golf cart ride down the Catwalk while the crowd chanted his name. He used us for everything he could. He may have made the right decision for him and that is certainly his choice but it doesn’t mean I have to pull for him or like him for it.

10. A_Blue_Wildcat
    9:10 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

The kid probably would be our 3rd best running back right now, of all the players we’ve missed out on he would’ve had the least impact.

• jkmann1
      9:15 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Strongly disagree.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:43 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Your first statement is very likely incorrect. Damien would have to work much harder for yards behind our O-line compared to Alabama’s, for certain.
      I can somewhat agree with your final statement.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      9:58 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Damien plays behind the best offensive line in the country where he doesn’t ever get touched behind the line of scrimmage yet his yards per carry is only 0.6 higher than Booms and only has one rushing touchdown (compared to 5 by Snell). Considering how terrible our offensive line is and quarterback play is, along with the fact our defense can’t keep the other teams offense off the field, I’d say Boom and Snell have much more impressive than Damien this year.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:36 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

How did our backs do vs a real team like Florida?
      I do hold the O-line highly responsible for that, though.
      Boom and Snell are great backs and would produce at any SEC school.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      1:36 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Boom ran for 66 yards against Florida on only 12 attempts. That’s pretty good when you have no offensive line or quarterback. Second of all, Alabama hasn’t played anyone yet. The best team they played was a dysfunctional USC team that is worse than Florida and maybe slightly better than South Carolina. So Damien Harris’ numbers don’t mean anything either since they haven’t played a “real team” yet.

11. UKBlueGreen
    9:13 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Why the grudge? Kentucky made an offer.

12. jkmann1
    9:14 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

This is really similar to when a kid from an SEC state comes to UK and gets sucked up into the competitive machine. Archie Goodwin is a good example. Kid has talent, came to UK (similar to picking Bama in football), had moments but fell victim to ‘alright who’s the next guy’ whereas at Arkansas he would’ve been a ****ing rockstar. The fact is that we wanted Damien here, he didn’t come, people were disappointed obviously because he’s such a talent and I guess he took some of that disappointment personally.

When you’re that age, it’s really, really difficult to have perspective. I think all the time about things I said at 19-22 years old and cringe. He honestly could just not say anything and benefit greatly. He also could just be motivating himself.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:45 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I still cringe at some things I said at age 40, justa few years ago. Lifelong learning.

13. teech62
    9:14 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

During his recruiting, UK treated him like a King. I feel like he led UK on because he liked the attention. I understand why he chose Bama, but he needs to chill and embrace coming home.

• jkmann1
      9:18 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, more or less. Would you pick Harvard Law if you were a law student? He made the right decision. If he works hard from here on out he should be set.

14. ky1988
    9:39 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

If he played for UK right now he would be thrid string RB behind boom and Benny. He took UK for ride during his recruitment getting free basketball tickets I hope Elam shuts him up.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:46 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

See similar statements and the replies above.

15. cats paw
    9:45 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

he’s done it now!! he just pissed off the greatest defensive mind in America. Stoops will completely take over the defense now and totally shut Harris down. He will be lucky to run for 10 yards and Matt Elam will run him down from behind and put him out of the game

16. pithuahua
    10:07 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I think Harris is hurt and may not play this week. If he was at Kentucky he would be behind Boom, and Snell would probably be red shirted. Remember Harris was one of, if not the top running back coming out. He took some hard hits on social media from full grown adults and I don’t blame him for being a little itchy. I think that Mac Jones is the one who will be sorry, Saban has been trending towards the dual threat QB and is currently recruiting another top rated signal caller in that category. Hey, they will have a pretty decent scout QB for when they play spread offensives.#BBN

17. WildcatCam
    10:09 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

Yal are joking, right? Like, you’re not really this upset are you? lol punching down…really? We’re not that butthurt guys, let’s be grown ups, ok?

18. The Goose Is Loose
    10:25 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I think the “he would be 3rd string comments” are some of the most classic I’ve read on here. Granted we have 2 really good running backs but come on. I will say this I would pick a big stud defensive lineman over him. We are fine with our running backs but man that line sure could use some help.

19. G_Money
    10:26 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

It wasn’t that he chose Bammer…it was the way he led us on. I’m convinced that he led Stoops on as well. The five star kid from Lexington – Willis – hasn’t done that. I hope he chooses us, but he’s been so cool about the process that there won’t be any bad blood if he goes somewhere else.

20. Koolrae14
    11:53 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

WE NEED offensive linemen who can stay on a blocking assignment and not get beat. Maybe our run game MIGHT just have a chance!!

21. Cousins Fake Tooth
    12:37 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

eh, like I said when he committed to Bama. Screw him.

22. Le Docteur
    1:12 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Damien: the opposite of love is not hate. It’s indifference.

Ugarte: You despise me, don’t you?
    Rick: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

(from Casablanca)

23. porkchawp
    9:31 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

this kid’S attitud is just down roght DISRESPECTFUL and NASTY. This kid does not represent true Ky values, picking a big name school just for the fame and gliry over his HOMETOWN SCHOOL. Burns me up like wood in a fireplace. he wouldt be a star by any meens at UK, cause he’d be to busy cleaning Boom’a cleats to be taking 1st team repps. Damien is one of the most overrated running backs in the country and BOOM is the most UNDER RATED. and if you crap birds know football you know Damien fit in or system anyways

• Gimpsey
      10:18 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

A. MEN. BROTHER. Could not hav said it any bettur myself. This tweet just tells me that this ignorant young boi is a fan of KILLARY KILLTON. that boi needs a good talkin to frum Jesus above