Critics be Damned, Mike Leach’s Air Raid Works in the SEC

The Starkville Pirate has already turned the SEC upside down.

In his first game coaching the Mississippi State Bulldogs, Mike Leach upset the defending National Champions at Death Valley and his quarterback set a new single-game SEC passing record. Not too shabby.

Stanford grad transfer K.J. Costello completed 36-of-60 passes (60%) for 623 yards and five touchdowns. Costello is the first SEC quarterback to ever surpass the 600-yard milestone. Even after LSU came back and tied the game with ten minutes to play in the fourth quarter, Costello remained composed and kept slinging the ball downfield.

Many wondered how Leach would use All-SEC running back Kylin Hill in his offense. Turns out you can use running backs for more than just hand-offs. Hill had only seven rushes for 34 yards, but he caught eight passes for 158 yards and a 75-yard touchdown.

For those who love Mike Leach, it’s a great day.

For the Kentucky Wildcats, Saturday was not ideal.

Entering the season we thought the Mississippi schools would be push-overs. Despite the Ole Miss loss to Florida, their offense was humming. The two schools combined for 79 points and 1,245 yards of offense. To say Mark Stoops’ defense will be challenged the next two weeks is an understatement.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

22 Comments for Critics be Damned, Mike Leach’s Air Raid Works in the SEC

1. dcforuk
    9:16 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

There’s no time to lament. It’s time to be like a DB that just got burned for a TD. If that DB thinks too much about the previous TD, he will get burned again. Time to play the next play, or in this case, play the next game!

2. WKY Cat
    9:46 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Unfortunately it looks like a loss for us. We can’t score with them.

3. BowdenQB4ever
    9:51 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Imagine if Mitch had the guts to replace stoops with Leach. We have the foundation and talent, we just need a staff to come in and play to win.

• wild horses
      10:03 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Imagine a dumber statement in this thread. Nope, that one is it.

• BowdenQB4ever
      10:12 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

@wild horses so you can’t articulate why you disagree, just that it’s “dumb”? Got it. I’ll see you in the comments after leach mops the floor with our staff.

• bigbowdennation
      10:19 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Man what’s the point in even being a football fan if you’re this down on your own team. Remember what UK football was like before stoops? Would you rather be rooting for that team? Today was a tough loss, but we were the underdog for a reason. We still got a whole season ahead of us.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:59 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

Bowden, I was all for hiring Leach when we had an opening, but not now. That’s just dumb after the seasons we’ve had recently.

Now, if Stoops were to take another job though, heck yeah!

• east-ky-boy
      9:33 pm September 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m a stoops fan and stand by my coach. But STYLE wise I agree.

4. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    10:06 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Anyone think sausage fingers could go to LSU and get a win. The pirate did it in year one.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:01 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

No, I don’t think we would have won there either, but LSU isn’t the team they were last year either, so temper that just a bit. Jeaux Burreaux is not walking through that door. He led a generational offense last year. We all knew (or should have) that LSU would probably take a step back this year.

5. CJKAssassin123
    10:10 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

I told you guys were going 4-6 which in a normal year would be an 8-4 season. Terry clearly had a large amount of mental rust remember no real off-season,no pre-season and Terry hadn’t played a game since the 2nd quarter of week 2 of last season that was before the L today. We will be the team everyone expects us to be but it will be week 5 before we get to that point. Forgot about this season because we any doing anything this year however still watch the games because it a welcoming distracution form covid-19 and everything else. As always Go Cats!!!

• CJKAssassin123
      10:14 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

**Forget about this season,We ain’t doing anything this year** not **forgot about this season because we any doing anything this year**

• Perry1987
      10:22 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

CJKAssassin123
      You also said UK was going to blow Auburn out…….so which is it??

• bigbowdennation
      10:15 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Only one speaking any sense after that game today. It was a tough loss but we were the underdogs for a reason … would’ve been a big upset to go in and win that. Obviously disappointing to lose the way we did but we’ve got a whole season ahead of us. And let’s just appreciate that football is back! As drew said earlier I’d rather be bummed about a loss than not watching any football.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:06 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

CJ, I posted my “I told you so” below before reading the comments, so I’m not the only one. Haha.

However, to be fair, did you actually say we would blow Auburn out? If so, that was myopic because that is a really good program and team that has more raw talent than us. I thought we had a shot, but in now way should anyone have been acting like this was an automatic W like the KSR writers were for the most part.

6. BigBluSoTru
    10:16 pm September 26, 2020 Permalink

Nope no turning against the Cats now all you same guys were just bragging about how we have arrived and was going to beat Auburn guranteed . Matt bragged and said we would win Stoops bragged last week mocking U of L and other programs.

7. Lip Man 1
    12:55 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

That was certainly impressive. Like I said if UK goes 5-5 with their schedule that’s a great year. Probably go 4-6 though.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:03 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

I think you may be right. Hopefully Terry gets more comfortable and we look better next week. People were taking Auburn lightly and that was a mistake. That’s a really good team.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    7:48 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

Uhhh, pushovers? Who thought that? I hate to keep saying I told you so, but if you don’t toot your own horn, no one else will, so “Toot toot!”

#1, I told you all you were taking Auburn too lightly.
    #2, I also said both Mississippi teams would be better. Now, did I expect 623 passing yards? No way. But face it, Leach has been a more successful coach than Mumme. I’m not sure why, but it’s another one of those “When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master” situations it seems.

Incidentally, and I’ve said this before, but look at how amazing Mumme’s coaching tree is. His fingerprints are all over modern offenses with the number of coaches who either played for him, coached under him, or coached or played (or both) for one of his disciples, or at least went to camps where someone taught the Air Raid offense. This article is a good start:

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:31 am September 27, 2020 Permalink

And BTW, I was hoping that so many picking us to win were right and I was wrong. A big part of my hesitance was that I expected Terry to struggle, and he did. We have to be patient though IMO. You knew he would have some rust, so again, hopefully he feels more comfortable next week and we get the win.

9. CahillsCrossingNT
    1:35 pm September 27, 2020 Permalink

Mississippi State will now own Kentucky just like Tennessee does.

10. bddfromcincy
    2:55 pm September 27, 2020 Permalink

No one owns us. State has a really good offense, but also a terrible defense. Just as likely that LSU also took a step or 2 back this year. State won’t be a gimme, but it’s not a definite loss either. Stoops will play ball control with lots of Smoke, Rodriguez and Rose.