Could conditioning be the X-factor on Saturday?

And these are just the kickers.

And these are just the kickers.

And these are just the kickers.

It’s gonna be hot Saturday. Weather.com has backed down from its 97-degree prediction, but it’s still calling for a high of 91 that afternoon, with the temperature at kickoff in the 80s with high humidity. The forecast has caused some of you to rethink your tailgating plans (more on this later today), but how will it affect the game?

One of the major offseason stories has been Erik Korem’s high-performance training program, which, considering the conditions, may become the X-factor. The players are in better shape than ever (and they know it), and Mark Stoops feels confident that Korem’s program will give them an edge on Saturday night:

I feel very good [about the team’s conditioning]. Our players worked very hard. And that’s what’s great about the science we have now. We can see data, see what we’ve done the past three years at Florida State, see where we’re at. Obviously, any time it’s super hot and humid, you always need depth, especially with the amount of plays that will probably be played in this game. You’ve gotta have depth. You’ve gotta be in great shape as well.”

That goes for you guys, too. Channel your inner Bobby Bouchers and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

15 Comments for Could conditioning be the X-factor on Saturday?

1. Kyle
    11:34 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Tyler….where’s my credit?!? I called into the show and brought this up!!!! Haha just kidding. But I do think conditioning will play a role in the game on Saturday in Nashville.

2. Parker
    11:35 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think heat will be a concern, have you ever been inside Nutter? It’s like a sauna in there.

3. Nike Athletics DEPT
    11:47 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Does the guy in the middle have a banana in his shorts?

4. Big Blue Brad
    11:55 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

The guy on the right is ripped from the 1 pound dumbbell curls!

5. Couch was great
    12:01 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

I hope conditioning is the X- factor, but I fear it’s going to be Petrino. This will be the first game that most of our coaches will be in their new positions and lets face it. Petrino is one of the better game coaches in the country. His problems are off the field not on it.
    I do think Stoops is the man to turn this thing around in the long haul, but let’s not get to down if Petrino pulls a rabbit from his hat. It’s only one game and thanks to Joker WKU probably has the better roster!

6. David
    12:12 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Article about what really happened to Petrino

7. Waxeater In The News
    12:18 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Stoops mentioned in a presser he wasn’t worried about conditioning.

8. jcatron
    12:23 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Couch – A better roster? Yeah right…compare the last 4 years recruiting classes of the two schools…not even close. Yes UK’s haven’t been where they need to be to be competitive in the SEC but they are still a whole lot better than WKUs. UK wins this one 24-10.

9. WKU Joe
    12:50 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky can’t compete with Western straight up. Stoops is slow witted and can’t possibly match Petrino

In order for Kentucky to have a chance, they must run a lot of trick plays like reverses and flea flickers

10. Couch was great
    12:53 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

#8 I hope your right but I don’t see it that way. I see UK competing with MAC schools for most the players. I don’t look at the rankings as much as I look at the other schools recruiting the players. Also I’m sorry to all its going to make mad, but I think Petrino is a better game coach. That’s not a knock on Stoops because I think Petrino is a top 5 game coach he just is a POS off the field!
    By the way did you go to PCC in 95

11. WKU Joe
    12:53 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

And I know from slow-witted, if you catch my driftiness…

12. Get real
    12:55 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

WKU Joe you are out of it. First of all, Neil Brown will be calling the offensive plays..and how did that work out for Texas Tech? We will beat WKU by 2-3 touchdowns.

13. AirRaidComingAtYa
    1:24 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

lol @ WKU Joe. It’s gonna be a sad Saturday night/Sunday for him!

14. jcatron
    1:47 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

Couch – No I didnt go to PCC.

15. Aaron C Bunch