Columnist believes Mark Stoops is the next Dan Mullen

While many national college football writers are picking the Cats to slide back to the SEC cellar after a historic ten-win season, one believes Kentucky’s success under Mark Stoops is here to stay.

Connor O’Gara, the senior national columnist for Saturday Down South, said on Sirius XM College Sports this morning that he thinks Stoops could build Kentucky into a perennial power ala Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.

I think that Mark Stoops is going to be the next Dan Mullen. I think that what Mark Stoops is going to be able to do at Kentucky is going to be really similar to elevating the program in the way that Mullen did at Mississippi State.”

O’Gara described how Mullen, now at Florida, turned Mississippi State from a program that had only been to one bowl in eight years into a top 25 team year in and year out. Mark Stoops inherited an even bigger rebuilding project at Kentucky and O’Gara predicts the Cats will continue to build on their recent success over the next decade.

“I think that Kentucky is going to replicate something like that where we see them in the top 25 on a yearly basis. I think that they really will make that next step forward with Mark Stoops. I think a lot of people look at this program right now and think they’re just a flash in the pan and I think they’re here to stay and I think they’re going to surprise a lot of people in the 2020s.”

I hope he’s right.

[mobile_ad]

20 Comments for Columnist believes Mark Stoops is the next Dan Mullen

1. krautdog
    3:42 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yesss…!

2. Bluebloodtoo
    3:46 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Finally! At least one person is willing to put their name on it. I’m not sure you could use facts to make an argument against this statement. All the facts available suggest that this is a trend. Maybe not the 10 win season yet, but it will be a clear trend in the next few years if we “come out swinging” this year.

3. Headhurts
    3:47 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Conner knows waasup.

4. Duuuuuude
    4:02 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

A year ago writers were putting Stoops on the hot seat.

• mashburnfan1
      4:06 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

But then he went 10-3 with basically a FR QB. Beat UF and on the road, plus won a Citrus Bowl. Yet still most are not giving him or this team or this program much respect. I get it that we are not normally a top tier team but how can they not see what we still have here, we have depth and talented depth. Good news is with our schedule we will know after September what this year will be.

• Skooms
      4:16 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Blah, blah, blah, blah! At least some of the other miserable fans bash all of the UK sports consistently. You absolutely DESPISE the BBALL program yet continue to pump up every other UK sport. So freaking annoying!

• mashburnfan1
      8:37 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

I despise the way the bball program is run. New team every year, bad basketball most of the year, no chance at a title which is what we should play for. This season we will have to wait and see as we do have returning guys but they only are returning guys because they did not have good FR or SO years. IF they improve like PJ did and at least 2 of the FR are studs we have a shot. If not same song different year with a loss to a far less talented team in the tourney.

• Miller45
      2:29 am July 3, 2019 Permalink

You’re not alone friend

• Alex90
      6:48 am July 3, 2019 Permalink

You two “friends” deserve eachother. We’ve had a chance to win a title 8/10 years that Cal has been here and no other team can say that. If you want to argue we should have won more than 1 that’s fine but saying we haven’t a chance is just idiotic. Bad basketball most of the year???? Cal has the highest win % while at UK so again that’s just an idiotic statement.

5. bluecorvettecat
    4:30 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Stoops is no Dan Mullen- Sadly last year was a fluke. Wilson is not an SEC QB and Stoops will stick with him no matter what. The prognosticators don’t just make up the data they state, it is statically based and much more often right from wrong. I hope I am wrong and am surprised and we beat predictions. Last year we had some super stars that saved us from poor coaching decisions and a QB whose outside dink passes forces us into running up the middle while the defense licked their chops. Our amazing Benny saved the day many times but lets not forget he was the all time rushing leader in UK history! Look at the premier QB in the SEC and Wilson is clearly at the bottom of the list.
    Watch out for Toledo first game. The MAC is real with Toledo almost beating Ohio State a few years ago at OS; lost in last minute..

• This is a terrible take but congrats on the negativity.

• Soylentbeans
      5:18 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

But they were wrong last year and even if we do take a step back this year (which after a 10 win season wouldn’t be a shock) we have depth and good incoming players. The uk football culture is changing befor your eyes and the future is bright. Enjoy it or dont its your life not mine, but I know I’m enjoying it.

• az1006
      5:20 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

They said the same thing last year. I think our win total prediction was 4-6 by most folks, and look what happened. I think a lot of it is just laziness because they aren’t paying attention. History is clouding judgement, and I get it to a degree. But, you’d think what we did last year would open some eyes. Do we likely take a step back? Yeah…Doubt we’ll win 10 games. But I could easily see us winning 8. Possibly even 9. It isn’t out of the realm of possibility, and I will be interested to see what the experts think this time next year, after Kentucky surprises everyone again.

• KyZoneBlitz
      8:09 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

See, I think the comparison is fair, but I think we will pass what miss. State and Mullen were, and starts with Recruiting, if this class continues its upward trajectory, we go out and win 8-10 more games, this class finishes top-15, next year’s class could be top-10 possibly. This staff’s ability to spot talent, recruit and develop the talent is elite. The talent level of incoming players continues to climb, and with that, so will on field success. Terry Wilson, while playing hurt most of the year as a 1st time D1 starter (Same D1 starter that won AT florida AT night) still completed 66% of his passes, our Oline is still top-5 in conference, Bowden is a Stud WR (Who has only played WR for 3 years now) and AJ Rose averaged over 6 yards per carry last year. dline is stout, LB is elite. We still have plenty of talent AND depth…

• mashburnfan1
      8:44 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Last several years they have been wrong on UK. Nice of you to predict failure for a FR QB {playing at this level he is a FR} that was the starter for a 10-3 Citrus Bowl winning team in the toughest conference. Did TW win 10 games, NO, but he also lost zero games through mistakes. I was frustrated with our play calling but looking back I get it. Hoping coaches just went with our strength and let TW settle in and not hurt us. You look at UF game, 1st half of USC game, end of Mizzou game and you can see TW makes some nice throws, SEC level throws. He was just not given the opportunity to do that very often. Not is fault, you expect him to ignore the play call and make his own. How many FR started their teams to 10-3 and New Years win in their FR season? Only a very few elite ones. Look at Couch when he was a FR, Drew Lock, Sam Darnold in a no defense PAC 12. All may have yards as they just threw the ball all over but also had many INT and mistakes and LOSSES.

• Bluebloodtoo
      9:10 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

I think that it’s not too much to ask for us fans to reward a historic season with hope and a renewed vigor for cheering on the the gridiron cats. Also, before you bash on Stoops, please try to remember that he came here from leading the defense for a national champion and perfect 13-0 record on the year. His defense that year held opponents to an average of 10.7 points. FSU also sent 13 staters to the NFL the year before that Championship. WHY IS EVERYONE SO SURPRISED THAT STOOPS IS GOOD?

6. krautdog
    6:13 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Dan Mullen is a class act. One of my few favorite opposition coaches. Stoops should consider the comparison as an honor!

7. kentuckybackupplayer
    7:13 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

The only stat that matters from last year is 10-3 and citrus champs.