Chris Oats has returned home following medical emergency

Facebook: Sosa Keilan Woods-Hernandez

Facebook: Sosa Keilan Woods-Hernandez

Kentucky linebacker Chris Oats is home.

After dealing with a serious medical issue that left him in the hospital back in May, followed by months spent in a physical rehabilitation facility, Oats’ family members confirmed the junior linebacker has returned home.

His brother, Sosa Keilan Woods-Hernandez, posted a picture of Oats back home with the caption, “Our circle is back stronger than ever.”

KeAirra Oats our circle ?? is back stronger than ever #OatsStrong#22strong#Brotherandsister

Posted by Sosa Keilan Woods-Hernandez on Friday, October 9, 2020

He also took to Twitter to announce that Oats had officially returned home.

His sister, KeAirra Oats, also posted the following pictures on Facebook with the caption, “Guess who’s home.”

Guess who’s home ???

Posted by KeAirra Oats on Friday, October 9, 2020

While neither Oats’ family nor the University of Kentucky have publicly confirmed any specifics of the medical issue, they have partnered together to raise money for the junior linebacker’s medical bills with the “Oats Strong” campaign, one that has raised over $25,000 thus far.

Beyond the donations, Kentucky has begun a weekly tradition for the season with players wearing No. 22 in honor of Oats.

Linebacker DeAndre Square wore No. 22 in the season-opener at Auburn, followed by tight end Keaton Upshaw sporting the number in Week 2 against Ole Miss. Linebacker Jamin Davis is set to wear No. 22 against Mississippi State.

“We are going to recognize (UK linebacker) Chris Oats and have a player each week wear his number in honor of Chris, starting with DeAndre Square, who would normally be playing side-by-side with him as the two inside linebackers,” Stoops prior to Kentucky’s game against Auburn. “(Tight end) Keaton Upshaw is his roommate and wants to wear it and honor him for the first home game. Those are the first two we have set and from there we will alternate his number to honor him and show him he’s still with us and we’re thinking about him.”

“We’re just doing everything we can to still honor Chris and keep him in the back of our minds,” Davis said in a recent interview with BBN Tonight.

Time for the Wildcats to earn their first victory of the season.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

19 Comments for Chris Oats has returned home following medical emergency

1. UKinIN
    11:35 am October 10, 2020 Permalink

I know it’s 100% not our business when I ask this: what happened to the kid? Is he going to make a full recovery? Return to football? Is he lucky to be alive? What’s his quality of life going to be? But again, not our business.

• wyatts1
      11:38 am October 10, 2020 Permalink

I was gonna ask the same thing, I pray for the kid and hope whatever has happened that he makes a full and speedy recovery. Great to see he has a solid family to help him out through all this ?

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      11:39 am October 10, 2020 Permalink

I think the rumor was that he had a stroke and that his football career is over. I don’t know that for sure (and it doesn’t really matter) but I’m just glad he is doing ok.

• ready4nineNOW
      3:23 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Just looking, you can see a slight drop, plus the same side arm is covered in the picture. I hope I’m wrong and stupid for even thinking it.

2. DerBaron
    11:51 am October 10, 2020 Permalink

This is so sad. Let’s all pray for a complete recovery.

3. JTHinton
    11:55 am October 10, 2020 Permalink

Does UK not pay for his medical bills? I’ve always heard that players have insurance taken out by the university for this very reason!

Praying for Chris and his family!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:50 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Does it have to be football related though? I don’t know.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:54 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

And even if the insurance does pay, maybe this is for day to day living expenses incurred now and in the future if his football career is over. Again, I don’t know obviously, but prayers for him and his family.

4. JoeBee
    12:13 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

This hurts, prayers for 22.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:50 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Prayers for you Chris.

6. bbn606
    1:14 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

God bless Chris and all of the Oates family.

7. tdub
    1:20 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Prayers for Chris and family.

8. UKFanSC
    1:23 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Just looking at him in the wheelchair breaks my heart. From looking at his facial expressions, the muscle deterioration in his body, and the fact that he is in a wheelchair leads me to believe that he has had a stroke. This young man will not be playing football again. Keep him in your prayers. He has a long path back.

9. TBW3011
    1:55 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Prayers for you Chris.

10. clarks
    2:39 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Whether he plays again or not he will always be lafamilia, wildcat for life

11. michaelb
    2:40 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Him smiling at home has to be a nice feeling for him … he’s probably just as curious as all of us here .

12. michaelb
    2:42 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think we should be worried about his medical bills , football related or not , this is the commonwealth there are people in place to help

• TonyMontana
      5:13 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

I know for me, when I think of Kentucky, the first thing that comes to my mind is top-knotch free medical care, including round the clock personal nurses. They have nothing to worry about at all. 6-figure annual health care expenses for their son? No problemo.

13. KyZoneBlitz
    6:07 pm October 10, 2020 Permalink

Praying for Oats and his family, but I have to say, if #22, Chris Oats is our starting MLB, with Jamin Davis coming in behind him (I LOVE Jamin Davis, think he’s one of the most underrated Mike’s in our conference, but behind him were Very thin, and Very inexperienced, which, if Oats is playing, when he comes out of the game and Davis comes in, there’s No Drop off in talent or experience whatsoever IMO), I think we’re sitting at 2-0 right now. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO LIFE, NONE OF THAT MATTERS. We Rarely Ever truly Appreciate just being able to wake up every morning. Doesn’t matter if he plays another down for us or the rest of his life, I think that Dr. Eli Capiluoto, Mitch Barnhardt, and Stoops should Honor his scholarship and allow him to finish school and get his degree if he’s able to. The game of football is just that, a game, and it ends for everyone, earlier for some than others. I know that no matter what, I hope he makes a full recovery and is successful no matter what he does. Hope to hear and follow him long after his time at Kentucky, God Bless you Mr. Oats #22STRONG