Chester raises the ‘Til/Till Debate about the new CWS sign

CMoqYZoUAAALCdR

With all the grammar nazis in the KSR Comments Section, who would have imagined it would be Chester, our beloved regular caller who once argued UK needed to focus less on education and more on basketball, that would start a grammar debate on today’s show.

Earlier this week, UK painted the back of the scoreboard facing Nicholasville Road blue with a banner that read ‘Til the Battle is Won, one of the lines from the school fight song. Today, Chester called in to tell Matt and the gang that he thinks that it should be TILL instead of ‘TIL:

Both till and ’til are technically correct, although ’til is frowned upon by grammar diehards. I’ll go one step further and point out that the fight song lyrics on the UK website actually read ‘TILL, which is grammatically incorrect:

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 10.28.22 AM

As Regina Rickert pointed out, UK has been using ‘TIL in sports branding for years, as you can see in this pic:

Photo by Regina Rickert

Photo by Regina Rickert

On top of that, the sign itself is pretty terrible. I love UK, and I think the new Commonwealth Stadium is gorgeous, which is exactly why I hate that sign. With the mismatching fonts, blocky Star Wars letters, and odd faded blue color, it doesn’t do the new stadium justice. I actually prefer the old back of the sign:

Any way we can go back to that and outline the logo in a neon lighting or something?

UPDATE: If you search for the fight song on UKAthletics.com, you’ll actually find a grammatically correct version.

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 1.22.10 PM

27 Comments for Chester raises the ‘Til/Till Debate about the new CWS sign

1. Sin The'
    1:49 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

That Scoreboard is just turrible.

2. Kim
    2:03 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I agree that the old sign is better Thompson. Don’t be too worried, however, because it really is too ugly to be permanent. I think there will be a surprise debut of the real sign on the season opener.

3. Rodcat
    2:17 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

At the softball stadium it stares ’til the battle is won…with a small t…not a big T. I agree it looks awful. Change it before the first game. Matt, start the campaign.

4. binarysolo
    2:17 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

It’s an informal contraction of until so I tend to prefer ’til over till since there’s only 1 L in until.

Anyhoo, totally unrelated, but this came across my newsfeed today that I thought Mrs. TT might like:

“Which “Friday Night Lights” Guy Should You Date?”

It’s for the ladies, but I’ll totally fill it out when they make one for the fellas. My biggest FNL crush was Devin the bass player for Crucifictorious. (Yeah yeah, I know she likes girls.)

• Megan
      6:14 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Usage note from the American Heritage Dictionary: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred. Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefex un-, meaning “up to.” In the 18th century the spelling ’till became fashionable as if till were a shortened form of until [it is not]. Although ’till is now nonstandard, ’til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.

So yes, you can look at ’til as an elision, but that ignores the origin of the word and the legitimacy of till.

5. POWER K
    2:18 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Just slap the ole power K up there and call it a day. It would also be the perfect spot for a rotating banner we have hung on different parts of old CWS commemorating our Senior star players.

6. Ric
    2:19 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I like the sign. It’s kind of minimalist. And as you say, since both are correct, and as long as it’s use in the stadium is consistent, who cares if it’s til or till?

7. stevem
    2:24 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

However the original song spelled it, that’s the way it should be. End of debate.

8. Kyle
    2:24 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

There are 2 questions here: (1) ’til vs. ’till and (2) do you like the sign.

UK Athletics has been using ’til for awhile. That is how the Fight Song is listed on their website (it doesn’t matter what is on the .edu site IMO). It is correct as posted on the sign.

As for #2 … I don’t really care, but would save judgement until I saw it in person (instead of a picture on the internet).

9. Ryan Courtney
    2:25 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Would be a GREAT Solution to this Problem! This was one of Kentucky Sports Radio Sponsors!!! I am sure they could put up a Killer Logo for Kentucky!

10. DylanG
    2:28 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I wish they just kept the UK logo on them.

11. DoubleB
    2:32 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

how bout a GIF rolling on gameday showing last weeks best play/hit/Tennessee mugshot

12. Juice
    2:49 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Walking to class it doesnt look too bad, I like it. I do believe they need another coat of paint on scoreboard it has two shades.
    Drizzy Drew Franklin, Matt, & Ty can we seriously push Mitch or Ed to put the banners up around North and South Ends to hide the ugly sheds. I loved the Banners idea from the original newCWS project
    Gotta get this going as well. Lets PUSH FOR IT…WE CAN DO IT
    All in all we are going Bowling. Go CATS!!!

13. katmandue2you
    2:51 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Gosh…seems like everybody always wants to find something to bitch about. I like displaying the slogan because (or ’cause! lol) it’s the main punch line to the fight song so to speak. Actually, you might say one of two main slogans to our fight song….the other being “On on U of K we are right for the fight today!”. So I do like the idea of the slogan being displayed. I also like the deep royal blue color and I’d be ok with the overlapping UK or the old power K. But here’s what needs to be done that wasn’t before and I’ve thought this for years….whatever UK logo or slogan is displayed up there, they need to have a big bright permanent spotlight that displays it at night. Now that would be cool. I always said that the UK logo would have been so cool if they had a spotlight on it at night. So whatever it turns out to be….put the freakin spotlight on it at night!!!!

14. Mathlete
    2:52 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I thought they should leave the block UK they had with the new blue stripes up each side, that would’ve looked sharp and been at least subtly similar to the stripes on the team’s helmets.

15. Dustin
    2:53 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I’m pretty sure UK is allowing a 90-year old lady do all the new design concepts. From the fat blocky K to this.. its like someone is trying to fight the modernization of everything else with ideas straight out of grandma’s trinket and sewing room.

16. Steve in Frankfort
    2:54 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Great idea of using neon around the logo, Mrs. ‘TT!

• Steve in Frankfort
      2:55 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Or should that be Mrs. ‘tT?

17. Hartline
    2:55 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Power K would look awful up there.

18. katmandue2you
    2:58 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

And BTW I’m available….for a fee….to be consulted on how to improve all things UK around the athletics program (like crowd involvement at Rupp and Commonwealth) and just maximizing the brand and the experience. As far as that goes, kudos for KSR! Have your people contact my people Mitch and Matt!

19. katmandue2you
    2:59 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Uhhh make that “dittos”…lol

20. Luke
    3:03 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Should’ve been just a big white UK. That looks Terrible compared to everything else

21. jarshoe
    3:11 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

The sign is not good regardless of spelling. I am much more disturbed that all the trees around the stadium and along Alumni Dr. are gone. Add in the fact that they are apparently paving over the purple lot, and they are severely diminishing the tailgating atmosphere. Very excited about the changes inside, but terribly disappointed by the changes outside.

22. ConjuGator
    5:38 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Grammarist.com says this about till and ’til: …The two words are interchangeable in almost all contexts.Because many Americans mistakenly view till as incorrect–we’re not sure why this is–the word is much more common outside the U.S. Prejudice against till leads many writers to use ’til, but there’s no reason ’til should not be till.

23. Billy Neagle
    10:50 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

The outside of the Sign should be just like the inside. While tailgating, we could watch clips of past great plays from years past and then during the game, it becomes a UK Logo that could be programmed to change or a slogan used in the rotation!!! I also liked the suggestion above about a Spotlight at night, that would look very cool, however if it is a Neon Sign it could just stay lit up and change from a Logo or Slogan upon demand!! How bout them Apples!!!! GO CATS!!!!!

24. Mack
    11:43 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

The sign looks awful. It looks like a 4th grader designed it.