Charlie Strong Expecting More from Longhorns than Cardinals?

StrongGuidelines

From barkingcarnival.com, here are Charlie Strong’s new guidelines for his football players at the University of Texas, and surprise, surprise, things look pretty strict.  There’s a heavy focus on “winning now,” in addition to guidelines for off-the-field behavior.  Players can’t live off of campus, and have to sit in the first two rows in all of their classes.  For a college student, that first part is essentially a social death penalty, and the second part is going to seriously cut down on nap time.

But did you notice how four of the five Louisville “core values” are incorporated into a single bullet point (#4)?  He also apparently had a bad experience with earrings, which I’d be interested to know.  But why do all of Louisville’s rules take up so little space?

Article written by Corey Nichols

36 Comments for Charlie Strong Expecting More from Longhorns than Cardinals?

1. Dan
    6:10 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

It’s bad when the new coach can’t even follow the old coaches #4 rule

2. Uhhg
    6:14 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like that srg from full metal jacket

3. Chaz
    6:18 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

What about rule #5? NCAA may not approve UTX buying out leases for players unless they do for every student wanting to get out of their off campus lease.

• red headed step child
      11:17 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

I had the exact same thought. How does Strong accomplish this? Clint “Show Cause” Hurt stayed at ULOL.

4. Elwood Blues
    6:24 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

I think you’re the only person in the world who actually puts two spaces after a period.

• Publishing
      12:07 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

In publishing you are never supposed to put 2 spaces after the period at the end of a sentence. If you do you risk starting a new line with a space which is exemplified in the second, third, and fourth sentences of the first paragraph of this article.

5. Rei
    6:33 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Unlike UL, Texas actually has a fanbase, so I’d expect more out of the players for that fanbase as well. Remember, he constantly challenged UL’s fans to prove their worth and they scoffed him every time.

6. Bradley
    6:44 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Don’t let this fool you. Charlie has the same low standards and expectations he’s always had. He just happens to be working for an AD who expects coaches and players to do things the right way.

7. Wondering
    6:46 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Why does KSR have such a Louisville fixation?

• Rixter
      7:38 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Because making fun of Louisville amuses us. That should be obvious.

• Beavis
      8:05 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Really,,,it does not even amuse anymore. The Louisville fan base is a defenseless target. Not even good sport. LOL

8. Beth
    6:48 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Impressive, if they indeed follow through on them all. Maybe he learned the lesson “expect more, get more.”

9. Mr. Obvious
    7:02 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Players have to attend classes? So much for the UNC players wanting to transfer!

10. Section 133
    7:08 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

That photo cuts out No. 12. It says “No italian restaurants, no abortions, no motorcycles, no hair brushes, no driving someone else’s car at 100 m.p.h. All players, at all times in public, must wear turtlenecks.” T1L4!!!!

11. Agree with #7
    7:21 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

HEY COREY, Do you have a MAN-CRUSH on Coach Charlie Strong and/or the UL PROGRAM? Is this KSR or LSR????? just asking . . .

• Ben
      8:34 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Did Louisville move out of the state of Kentucky or something? Or are Louisville athletics no longer considered “sports”?

• Can YOU read????
      9:26 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible. PERIOD.

• Beavis
      9:59 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

And if you like your doctor, you can keep him, PERIOD

• L1C5
      10:04 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Maybe he does have a man crush on Strong, why is that your business? The rest of us just enjoy making fun of Louisville, which is (again) not any of your business. Worry about yourself!

12. mustangCat
    7:33 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

But, it’s ok if you beat up a teammate, and put him in the hospital. If your ahead of him on the depth chart. we’ll cover for ya on that one! Right Charlie?!

13. Rixter
    7:35 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Well, it’s obvious why he condensed the Louisville ‘core values’. Now, if you steal drugs at gunpoint while pistol-whipping your female supplier, then you’ve only broken one rule, # 4.

14. Stu Dent
    7:54 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

I lived on campus 4 years.

It is the reason I graduated on time and under budget.

It is the only reason I never got a DUI.

It is the primary reason I went to class and studied my ash off.

I still had a great time and would recommend living on campus.

If I lived off campus, I would have skipped classes…..for all the wrong reasons that living off campus will provide.

• kyle heavy
      9:43 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

People who chose to live off campus have accomplished the same things as you. I would never recommend living on campus for more than a year. Go out and learn that you have responsibilities like buying your own food and preparing it instead of walking to the cafeteria like high school. With more bills to pay, you learn, that maybe chicken in a can isn’t so bad after all. Living off campus, you’ll also realize that you have utilities to pay for instead of wasting energy consumption on campus. It’s amazing what you learn when you pay rent and that is only part of the monthly budget. After you get your bill, you realize that maybe setting that thermostat at 60 degrees isn’t so bad after all. College is all about roughing it and making sacrifices. Did the R.A. wipe for you all the way up until your senior year?

15. UKMike
    8:04 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

I give Strong a lot of respect as a coach. He’s no longer at UL, so I can’t hate any longer. Hope he succeeds at Texas.

16. barn
    8:12 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

haha. dog/pony show

17. Ben
    8:36 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

#3 would have never worked at UL because Clint Hurtt can’t run. Roll, maybe. Run? Never.

18. Jay Davis III
    9:52 pm January 16, 2014 Permalink

Great way to get the new students to enroll on the campus!

19. BBN
    1:33 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

Wonder what cards core values are with petrino as coach:

1) player shouldn’t have contact with another school while at u of l – cue picture of Petrino interviewing for four jobs.

2) player should treat women with respect – cue picture of Petrino and his mistress.

3) player shouldn’t have a motorcycle, because you can wreck and get caught with mistress – cue picture of bobby and mistress on motorcycle.

4) player should continue playing if they’re injured – cue recording of discussion with wku trainer.

5) players must sit through nine hour interview if any of the violations above are broken, because nine hours is the magical time to ensure a person is changed.

6) players should not be arrested more than 13 times and remain on the team (we’ll call this the willie Williams rule). However, a special exception can be granted. With each additional arrest after 13 one extra hour of interview time can exonerate, but interviewer must state he will kill the person if he gets arrested again. *** note this phrase must be stated on each arrest after 13 or player may be suspended indefinitely (which means up to one game). ***

The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results. KEEP IT CLASSY CARDS!

20. trey
    9:21 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

Rule 1 is straight from the movie ‘Coach Carter’

21. CatsFanFrankfort
    9:35 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

Why are we hating on this? This actually seems pretty awesome. I completely agree with this stance as a coach and I would make my players do the same exact things. Maybe the buying out of the leases is questionable, but I like everything else. I would also add a Twitter ban to this list. If these kids want to succeed at a program like Texas Football, then the goal is to be the very best, no excuses. I like #3 the most probably. I say good for Charlie.

• Aaron
      10:36 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

I agree. Reasonable set of rules.

• stubbs
      10:42 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

Pretty good rules, but #8 makes me nervous. Pressuring players into playing/practicing before an injury is properly healed is a real problem…

22. SOA man
    11:22 am January 17, 2014 Permalink

hey matt I think if the football team looked like me and my buds in somerset all the other teams would take a look and run off the field

23. JP
    2:33 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

It’s not just earrings he has a problem with; it is with piercings in general, stemming from his time (and resulting mental trauma) in the UL locker room.

For #6, I think I would have added “have fun together” and “win together”

I do like #3.

#11 is not an expectation for the team, but the transcript, in it’s entirety, of his initial press conference

24. Go Big Blue
    2:57 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

I like #7. This is something we should start now. It’s funny how none of the above comments mention that one…

25. Lee
    2:54 pm January 18, 2014 Permalink

Annoys me how so many people have such negative things to say about this. Get out of the standard of molding to athletes that society has created. I think these rules are amazing. Not only is he making amazing athletes but also responsible men. UT is a huge rival for Texas Tech, where I go to school, so I hate UT. But I love these rules. I wish Tech had something like this. I wish all schools did.