Central Michigan star claims he hasn’t heard of Benny Snell

You know how I know Kentucky’s going to blow Central Michigan out on Saturday? One of their best players just poked our meanest bear. Chippewas star running back Jonathan Ward said he’s never heard of Benny Snell, Kentucky’s star running back.

“I don’t know him,” Ward said, via Evan Petzold. “I don’t think there’s anything too special.”

Considering Ward’s a pretty good player himself, putting up 1,017 rushing yards, 470 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns last season, he probably should know about Benny, who ended the regular season leading the SEC in rushing yards (1,318), carries (256), and rushing touchdowns (18). Central Michigan coach John Bonamego has certainly heard of him, calling Benny “as good as anybody we’ve faced.”

Believe it or not, the bulletin board material didn’t stop there. Ward said he also doesn’t see anything special about Kentucky’s defense:

You see that, Josh Allen? Mike Edwards? I’m almost scared to find out what Jordan Jones will do.

Benny’s already coming into this season with an enormous chip on his shoulder, so this will only fuel the fire. Or rather, flaming sledgehammer.

Cats by 90.

HEAR/READ SNELL’S RESPONSE HERE.

[mobile_ad]

28 Comments for Central Michigan star claims he hasn’t heard of Benny Snell

1. CombatMedic_98
    1:44 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

He’s gonna hurt somebody…hey no trash cans this year though guys!

2. EastKYCAT
    1:49 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I am going to start by saying,if you don’t trust your team to go out and compete then you shouldn’t be playing the game. Props to the CM running back. However, I hope coach Stoops allows the CATS to go out and put heat on CM and show the fan base we are a different team this year and prove to all the nah sayers that this is a team not to sleep on.

• damage_control
      2:10 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

True, but there’s a difference in voicing belief in your own team and blatantly disrespecting your opponent. This dude was flat-out stupid to talk smack against not only Benny (his defensive teammates won’t appreciate that), but the Cats’ defense as well.

• Booby Petrino
      2:17 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

yeah I mean “he’s a great player but we have a great defense that I think will be able to contain him” is much better than “I don’t know him, I don’t think there’s anything too special.” Or “they’re defense is solid but I have confidence in our offense” is better than “I’m not seeing anything really special.” I doubt our guys see anything too special with CM but I don’t hear them saying those words.

• Booby Petrino
      2:18 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

*their defense…oops!

• ClutchCargo
      2:20 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Lots of yapping by a player from a school that is coming into the season opener as one of those guarantee games. Maybe this will light a fire under their asses to blow out a lesser team and start the year off right.

• SuperTroy18
      3:30 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely Clutch. If we were worried about Cats not being ready for the opener, (I wasn’t, really) then this should absolutely put that to rest. Their likely best player basically saying “We don’t respect them.” Defense has NO excuses not to dominate CM now.

3. CombatMedic_98
    1:51 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Yep. Needs to be a win by at least 21-28 points period or we’re in trouble for some games we were supposed to win!

• DelrayCat
      2:08 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Vegas basically has this as a 38-21 game.

4. Alex90
    1:53 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Great work with the GIF’s Tyler! The flaming sledgehammer one gets me excited…wait,,,,,that doesn’t sound right

5. dylangeorge7988
    2:07 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Been watching some of Central Michigan’s games from last season. This guy is fast and slippery, sure… but he’s no Benny Snell- and would certainly get feasted upon in the SEC

6. Bluebloodtoo
    2:16 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Talkers gonna talk, players gonna play… Which once are you?

7. RICKSVD
    3:07 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Honestly, he may not have. They are a mid major. We are a middle of the pack sec team. Close anyways. Let’s be honest,why would he know Benny? They beat a power five team last year Kansas, who is 3-33 the last here years, a Kansas team that hasn’t won a road game in almost almost a decade. If we don’t beat them down by at least 30, expect another 6 win, struggle to score, struggle to stop anyone season. And an empty stadium in a few games.

• Bluebloodtoo
      3:48 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Game tape?

8. Charlie Waite
    3:27 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I bet he knows him by the end of this weekend….

9. secrick
    3:34 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

If we don’t win by 30 it doesn’t mean a thing in regards to the rest of the season. Only if we get beat does mean anything. A win is a win and Stoops is not going to run up the score.

• BluKudzu
      4:14 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

What a shame. Let your team play until it is well out of reach, mid to end of 4th qtr for game awareness, then substitute those that need some more reps.
      Never ask your team to take their collective foot off the gas, or their throat.
      Top 10 teams run the score up, with Hope’s it may help them get to the playoffs.
      You do not get publicity or votes in a 2 td victory over a MAC team.

• ClutchCargo
      4:35 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I disagree with the whole concept of running up the score. Giving your best effort is a sign of respect for your opponent. I don’t want to see any 3rd quarter letups this year.

• TBW3011
      5:18 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

We win 17-16 it does mean something. And it isn’t good. I don’t expect that to happen, but just saying.

10. cats646
    4:57 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

I love this!! Read up Benny!! Gonna be a fun Saturday

11. Jmlr1991
    5:21 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

He gonna learn today

12. mashburnfan1
    6:44 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Can’t argue with him on the defense. If he has watched tape of our defense the last couple seasons, he has no reason to be worried, especially the end of last season. He may be thinking he can run for 250 Saturday. I really think {hope} we will be much better with the new additions and veteran experience. If we can’t stop CMU then we will be in trouble this season.
    However to say that about Benny is just stupid, but who knows maybe he does not watch tv. By Saturday night he will know who Benny is and hopefully Josh, Mike, Boogie, T.J., Calvin, Tymere, Jamin, Jordan, Phil, Kash, Quinton, Adrian, Mr. Square all introduce themselves to him a few times.

13. Jmlr1991
    10:23 pm August 28, 2018 Permalink

Hey gonna learn today

14. serdi
    12:14 am August 29, 2018 Permalink

Just watch SEC PREVIEW with former Ala QB that said Benny only 1st team cause he’ll have incredible carries…Damien Harris cause he is great

15. J. Did
    5:28 am August 29, 2018 Permalink

Snell’s like Team Spirit!

16. Sentient Third Eye
    8:17 am August 29, 2018 Permalink

This comment brings to mind Batman’s famous reply to whether Superman bleeds: “You will.”