Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of “Couch to Yeast”

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

It’s been 20 years since Hal Mumme’s Kentucky Wildcats made Air Raid magic.

Trailing Alabama with 6:54 left in the fourth quarter, Kentucky turned the tide when Anwar Stewart returned a blocked field goal 68 yards for a touchdown.  The Cats had a 34-31 lead, but as The New York Times said, “It took 75 years and one overtime for Kentucky to finally beat Alabama.”

In overtime, the Cats were backed into a corner once again.  Facing a third-and-11 from the 26, Criag Yeast told Mumme and Tim Couch what play they needed to run.  It worked.

It is still just Kentucky’s second victory over Alabama and the Cats’ first victory over the Crimson Tide in 75 years.  The only other UK win against Alabama happened in 1922.  The winning quarterback from the 1922 game, 98-year old Turner Gregg, witnessed the goal posts at Commonwealth Stadium torn down for the first time.

For those who attended the game, even six-year old Nick Roush, it’s an unforgettable memory.  Please share your memories in the comment section and share the beautiful Kentucky football nostalgia.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

6 Comments for Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of “Couch to Yeast”

1. Hindu
    3:12 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

College Freshman. Helped tear down the goal post in Suit and tie. Quote in the Kernal. “It was the shit. We beat Bama’s ass and tour that shit (goal posts) down!”

2. RickE
    3:33 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

I was in the top row of the end zone, right above where Couch hit Yeast. My 10 year old daughter was w/ me, so we didn’t rush the field. She is 32 now, and expecting my 3rd grandchild. I finally got to rush the field at the LSU game. I fell over the wall, and some beautiful coeds picked me up from the ground on the 50 yard line.

3. UKBlue1982
    3:40 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

Will always be may favorite UK Football memory. I was there when Stevie Got Loose & when Braxton Kelley stuffed #1 LSU. But nothing like your 1st UK goal post game. Still gives me chills, thinking about the students bouncing up and down on the crossbar until the uprights toppled to the ground.

4. kkennedy1985
    4:45 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

Along side my mother and grandparents, 11 yr old me sat near-center of the goalpost in the third to last row of the west endzone. I wanted to rush the field sooo bad… but they wouldn’t let me. I still had a blast as that was one hell of a game! “Couch to Yeast!”… We used to say that when playing football with our friends after that. Good times!

5. wallcrawler
    5:29 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

We followed that goal post all through Lexington that night lmao

6. weblex
    6:05 pm October 4, 2017 Permalink

One of the best nights in my 4 years at UK.

-Soph year
    -Awesome game throughout, just great crowd/energy
    -Rushed the field & was at the bottom of the goalposts in front of the student section
    -Shook that thing for what felt like forever
    -It finally came down and we all started cheering and high fiving
    -Everyone kind of stared at each other like, “so…is that it?”
    -It actually felt a tad anti-climatic
    -One guy points at the far side of the field and screams, “lets get the other one”
    -We all start sprinting toward the other end zone
    -Most of the players and coaches are near midfield taking a knee for a post-game prayer
    -Most of us awkwardly took a knee amongst the players/coaches, trying not to seem too drunk during the prayer
    -I was on a knee, about ten feet from Hal Mumme, pulling a giant chunk of the turf out during the prayer
    -Prayer ends, high five some players and continue sprint to other end zone
    -It was before selfies and cell phones, kids. No pictures with players. No pictures from midfield. No selfie with Mumme. Yep…no pictures of a single thing from that night!
    -Bring down those goalposts
    -Leave stadium and get it car….pass out in the passenger seat of my car while the hot girl I just started dating drives us toward western Kentucky to meet my sister and brother-in-law
    -God that was terrible planning by me