CBS Sports puts Mark Stoops on the Hot Seat

Last year Mark Stoops led Kentucky to its second consecutive bowl berth and a .500 record in the SEC.  Despite the successes of the 2016 and ’17 seasons, CBS Sports has put Mark Stoops on the hot seat.

Dennis Dodd ranked every FBS coach on a scale of 0-to-5.  Zero is described as “untouchable,” with No. 5 as “win or be fired.”  Entering his fifth season at Kentucky, Stoops’ seat is getting warm at No. 4, described as “start improving now.”  CBS moved Stoops up one from last year’s “pressure is mounting” phase.

In the 2018 edition of CBS’ hot seat rankings, there are six coaches in “win or be fired” territory, while Stoops joins nine others with a No. 4 rating.

From a practical standpoint, this ranking is silly.  Posting consecutive seven-win regular seasons at Kentucky is something that’s only happened once since 1976-77.  Stoops’ contract has locked him until 2023, and after every seven-win season his contract is extended by one more year.

Within a historical context, Kentucky football is in a great place, but it would be dishonest to say the entire fanbase is satisfied with Stoops after five seasons.  The loss to Florida last year weighs heavily on many, and how it happened makes them ask, “Is Stoops the right guy for the job?”

With 18 returning starters, Stoops has all of the talent to prove the haters wrong.  He’s done it before.  In September of 2016, CBS put Stoops in the “Win or Get Fired” category.  I think we all remember what happened next.

[CBS Sports Hot Seat Rankings]

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

34 Comments for CBS Sports puts Mark Stoops on the Hot Seat

1. Ben27
    7:39 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Who would KY get that would be any better than Stoops? I am tired of starting over every 4-5 years, it has gotten us nowhere for the last fifty years. We need to stick with Stoops for at least 10 years. That’s how long it took Howard to turn UofL around.

• michaelb
      8:01 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

I’m with Ben

• Cousins Fake Tooth
      8:25 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Dunno, maybe any coach that can do better than .500 every year.

• gobble gobble
      8:27 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

If the cats can’t make a little noise in the SEC this season, then I really don’t see it happening with stoops

• KYcats11
      9:22 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Agreed Ben, fans act like UK can go find a Nick Saban but that’s not the case. Any coach that would come to UK likely has little to no winning experience and it would be another 4 year rebuild to get back a bowl.

• satcheluk
      8:08 am July 22, 2018 Permalink

People have lost their minds if Stoops is on the hot seat. He does need to improve organization and time management, so uncovered receivers continuing could result in the seat getting hot if the record drops, but this is the most talented we have been since I became a fan in 1981. Of course I want to get better, was disappointed in how we lost a few last year, but as long as we are going to bowls and the team is getting consistently better, then his job should be safe.

2. DelrayCat
    7:57 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

3 wins or less and 0-fer in the SEC and Mitch may actually make a move.
    4-6 wins and he stays on the hot seat.
    7-8+ wins…a bowl win…and Stoops finally gets his momentum and off that seat.
    Big year. Better find a QB.

3. michaelb
    8:04 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Saban ain’t walking through that door

4. michaelb
    8:05 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Bear Bryant ain’t walking through that door lol

5. michaelb
    8:10 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Only people that want position of uk head ball coach is juco ppl

• wyatts1
      10:29 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Are you serious?? You must just be a hater, our football team is in a good position after the last couple of seasons and what should’ve been a win last bowl game. Best conference in America with a AD and school that’s willing to pay, any coach looking to make a splash and who could recruit could get some get some reconition and the school would get the respect.

6. michaelb
    8:11 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Shows how out of tune these writers and so called professionals are . I never would have even read that cbs article in the first place

7. Blue Wildcat
    8:14 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

There are high school coaches across the state that do a better job of game and clock management. Mark is the runt of the Stoops family. We won’t make a bowl this year-next year will be brutal. Ok recruiter, terrible coach and developer of talent. He’s Fools Gold!

• michaelb
      8:28 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Yea I hear ya on that clock management & play calling . I’ve seen him neglect 40 yard fgs to tie a game up before in the 4th

8. Cousins Fake Tooth
    8:26 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Stoops = Billy G

• Blue Wildcat
      8:31 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

They both have the same responses for how to improve..”gotta clean some stuff up, have to be tougher”.

• mashburnfan1
      12:59 am July 22, 2018 Permalink

And he has done better than Brooks did yet UK celebrated Brooks for all he did. I love Brooks and he did a good job for us but Stoops accomplished things Brooks never did. Plus Stoops now has the talent, and most importantly may have the depth, to do well in the SEC and that takes time to build at a place like UK. If we get good QB play we will be a damn good team this yar. If we get very good to great QB play we can be in the SEC title game. On the flip if the QB play is bad we could be 5-7. Is a shame that postion is such an unknown this year, we should have a SR Drew Barker this year and had he stayed healthy and been as good as he was supposed to be we would be in great shape.

• Greatcatfan
      2:42 am July 22, 2018 Permalink

Brooks won the games he should’ve won, some games he shouldn’t and even won bowls in a powerhouse east. Don’t ever say that again simply because to 8-5, 8-5 sounds better to me.

9. UKCatAttack
    8:29 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

I know I’m going to get criticized but I agree with CBS. I don’t understand the KSR infatuation with Stoops. We are celebrating Yahtzees on 3-star recruits. We’ve never had a great offense or defense under Stoops. I’ll give Stoops credit that the guys do have the grit to win some ugly games. I’ll conclude by saying I hope I’m wrong.

• Parker_UKFanNC
      8:34 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

You want Joker back? Who out there wants to come to Kentucky and could do better? This isn’t like the basketball program where great coaches want to come here. I’ve enjoyed going to back to back Bowl games and I feel like this will be the third year and if Benny doesn’t get ejected by a diva we should win the bowl game.

• Blue Wildcat
      8:34 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Too many hope and pray for improvement-hopes and prayers aren’t a strategy for success. Tell me one time, other than the bowl game, that the staff had the team ready for play? The UofL game broke me. I’m ready for a change!!!

• Blue Wildcat
      8:38 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

No one wants Joker back. Stoops is getting paid in the top 25 for all college coaches. It’s time his team performs like a top 25 team. Not saying we have to win championships-look and acting like a SEC team would be a huge step forward.

• kjd
      9:28 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

UKCatAttack… I’ve come to agree with you.
      IMO This is Stoops year to break a barrier or two. The pieces are there.
      I dislike the tired “who would want to coach at KY” cliche. A young, and up & coming coach who wants to prove himself in the best football conference. He would be starting with some decent talent so not starting from scratch.
      I’m not advocating for a change, but if this season goes south in a hurry, there’ll be rumblings.
      I’m hoping to see improved performance when I’m sitting in my seat at Kroger Field.

10. huck
    10:27 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

That is a terrible contract, adding a year after every 7 win season… says seven is good enough for us. UK now has facilities that are in same ball park as other teams and we should be able to compete. In this day and age everyone has a voice – at least on internet – that has influence with idiots… the people that dont have enough brains and knowledge to make decisions on their own and have to listen to others to gain approval (and most of them are certainly idiots too) or what ever they are doing.

I sure wish you people that are satisfied with 7 wins would shut up. I think to get an automatic contract extension, it should be 9-10 games. I vote to cut out auto extensions at earliest possible time, so that we are not essentially locked in with a plug coach. If Stoops don’t show something in the next couple years, most likely he is not going to – if he hasn’t learned to coach in 30 years not sure more is going to help. UK might consider doing what the better teams of the SEC does when coach is not getting it done… try another one – forget paying these dudes 5 mil a year and not perform, at least try to field a competitive team.

• satcheluk
      7:38 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

You are a moron. Spurrier at USC only averaged 7 wins and that’s with a football school and great HS recruiting base.

11. BluKudzu
    10:30 pm July 21, 2018 Permalink

Neil Brown.

12. Greatcatfan
    2:46 am July 22, 2018 Permalink

Who would want to coach at Purdue in their current state? A guy with KY connections hmmmm.

13. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    10:34 am July 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m down to give Stoops a lifetime contract, as long as Vince Morrow is here.

• Blue Wildcat
      1:25 pm July 22, 2018 Permalink

For what, recruiting 2nd tier guys from Ohio? We’ll always be mediocre in part due to the low expectations from our fan base.

14. Bluebloodtoo
    11:09 am July 22, 2018 Permalink

Need improvement in the secondary and a serviceable QB who can play more than 1 year. Agree that I’m not sure who we’d get that would be better than Stoops. Feeling like coaching longevity may be our best path to improvement.

• kjd
      12:32 pm July 22, 2018 Permalink

Blukudzu gave you the coach: Neil Brown.

15. CombatMedic_98
    3:15 pm July 22, 2018 Permalink

We need the Modern day Bear Bryant back at UK if anyone…that’s who we need…right now we are doing what BRyant did…rebuked the team to National Status! It takes a few years folks…so don’t be so “need a new coach” complaint. We need supportive fans and we need top tier recruits!

• Greatcatfan
      7:38 pm July 22, 2018 Permalink

Can’t get top tier recruiting or supportive fans when both see a team with no real coach. Why should a elite player throw his talent on a team with a coach who has no talent for the job. Heck he calls games like he has money on the other team. And only ends up winning close one because of the players sheer determination to succeed in spite of him.

16. bigblue2284
    10:59 pm July 22, 2018 Permalink

Wake me up when basketball starts. UK football has been a joke since I was a kid and isn’t changing. Stoops is below average and paid like a top 25 coach, are you kidding a contract extension for Winning 7 games? Can we make it an extension after every bowl win ?