Can We Stop These Guys: Louisville Edition

Is there a worse sight than scrolling down the AP top 25 list and seeing the University of Louisville occupying the number 7 spot? Surely there must be something out there but it sure is hard to think of many. Yes, it seems we live in a Bizzaro world as the Cards are on a path to going undefeated and the only roadblock in their way is a Kentucky team in rebuilding mode. Louisville continues to ride high from whatever pact they made to find recent athletic success but it’s time to bring them back down to Earth. The Saturday the Cats have nothing to lose and everything to gain and if we are going to completely burst little brothers bubble then it’s going to start with a stop. Welcome to “Can We Stop These Guys?” the Louisville Cardinals edition:

Teddy Bridgewater

Teddy Bridgewater is awesome. You have to give some credit where credit is due because the guy is more than likely going to win the Heisman and be named the starting QB of the Jacksonville Jaguars next season. If you want to pinpoint Louisville’s recent successes it all starts on the shoulders of number 5. In two games against the Cats Teddy has gone 29/39 (including 19/21 last year) for 338 yards. A bad omen considering so far this season he is completing 76% of his passes and has thrown for 7 touchdowns to just 1 interception. Granted those stats are coming from games against Barbeque U but it is still an impressive start. As Coach Eliot said today the Cats will have to get some pressure on Bridgewater this Saturday. Otherwise he is just going to sit back and pick apart a secondary that has struggled so far with coverage. Hopefully that coverage will be boosted by the return of Cody Quinn. Plus if Za’Darius can add more to his nation leading sack tally the Cats will be off to a fine start. Containing the Cards all starts with shutting down Teddy.

Micheal Dyer

In 2010 Micheal Dyer, then a member of the Auburn Tigers, was held to 56 yards as the Cats nearly pulled the upset of the eventual National Champions.  The Cats will need to hold the championship MVP to a similar statline this Saturday if they are going to have a chance to win. In two games for the Cards Dyer has shown that he still has that magic that helped lead hapless Gene Chizik to the promised land. Dyer is leading the Cards with an average 6.4 yards per carry and has already scored one 46 yard TD. Paired up with Senorise Perry the Cards have a potent running attack which could give the Cats defense fits a la Antonio Andrews. The Card’s bread and butter is made through the air but to overlook their strong run game would be foolish. Keep the yards per carry to a minimum and just maybe the Cats will get enough stops to keep things close.

DeVante Parker

Ryan Timmons take note, an in state kid can be one of the best receivers in the nation. Parker was a two-sport standout while attending Ballard and has now become Teddy’s favorite threat downfield. Parker already has already racked up 3 touchdowns by going for 203 yards on just 9 catches. That’s good for 30th place WR in both average yards and total yards, not a bad feat. He looks well on pace to surpass the 10 TDs he racked up last year as a sophomore. Nate Willis and our crew will have their hand full with the Dirty Birds corps of talented receivers. However if they find  a way to come up with a pick or forced turnover then that could result in the difference. Lace up those shoes folks, it’s shaping up to be a track meet in Lexington.

Who are you hoping the Cats will be able to contain this Saturday afternoon?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

27 Comments for Can We Stop These Guys: Louisville Edition

1. jcookie
    9:53 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

More than anything in the world, I want Kentucky to win this football game. And maybe, just maybe, we will pull it off. But unless our offense can beat Louisville in a shootout, I just don’t see it happening. Bridgewater is 100% accurate, and will carve up our secondary. Maybe he gets hurt and we win, I don’t know, but if we want to win we will have to stop Bridewater with our outmatched d- line, stop their dynamic recievers with our incredibally weak secondary, and their RB’s with their very good o-line. The only way I see Kentucky winning this game is a shootout, and you don’t want to get into a shootout with teddy bridgewater.

2. Catlogic15
    9:53 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Andy Andy Andy. You’ve already awarded Bridgewater as the likely Heisman winner?

That would mean he’d have a huge game against us and we’ll get crushed.

Eff you Andy. Move 70 miles west. Big Blue fans live here.

Sad.

3. Za' Critic
    9:54 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Judging from the boat-load of pro-UL articles on here for the last week, it is apparent that KSR has decided to pander to the UL crowd in order to generate ad views.

4. SadCat
    9:55 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Louisville will name the score against us. Statistically Ohio is better than we are. We got fat this weekend (and apparently lazy if you listen to Coach Stoops comments after today’s practice) after beating one of the worse teams in the country.

Bridgewater will pick us apart. Sadly I believed Towles was our next great QB and I know I wasn’t alone. Smith is in trouble Saturday and so are my Cats. Saturday is gonna be a long day for Cat fans like me.

5. Joe
    9:59 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Can We Stop These Guys: Louisville Edition

Short answer, “I don’t think so.”

6. Yeehaw
    10:00 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

#4 you believe Towles is the best QB? Curious, what do you base that on? How many practices did you seem him outplay Smith or Whitlow?

7. jakes
    10:02 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

What I want: uk 27 lousville 17
    what i think; ul 49 uk 10

8. bluegrassstu
    10:04 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Teddy is pretty good, but then again, he has not played against top competition that much in his career. I don’t see him winning the Heisman for that reason. Perhaps I will be wrong. But this Saturday he will more than likely be too much for our cats to handle. This could be a long day. An upset by the Cats would make my year.

9. NL
    10:07 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Louisville is overrated at #8. With that said, they are still better than us 9 out of 10 games. Here’s to hoping this Saturday is that 1 game we win!

10. UKBlue
    10:11 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

I hope Dyer, his crew, other UL players, and UL fans keep their guns in Louisville.

11. Mr. Wrestling III
    10:14 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Why no Louisville hate week this year? Did you slap di##s finally realize that you shouldn’t generate fantastic bulletin board material for your rival? Say it ain’t so!

12. SadCat
    10:19 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Why have a Louisville Hate Day? Just one day? After they get done with my Cats Saturday, I will have another reason to hate them the other 364 days too.

13. SeaCat
    10:20 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

If KSR can’t make a website work in 2013?
    Then what chance do our football Cats have?

14. tdogg40330
    10:31 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

UL is over hyped way to much, UK will beat these scrubs …. wait and see … GO CATS !!!

15. PhilUK18
    10:41 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

To answer the article’s question, no, I don’t think we can stop these guys. As comment 1 said, our best chance is to win a shootout, but that seems remote as well. I hope our Cats can get it done, but I’m not going to be surprised if/when they don’t.

16. Old Cat
    10:43 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Sure UL is pretty good but some talk like they are an invincible juggernaut. There are ways that we can beat them starting with pressure from Za and Bud, an end to foolish penalties and a good kicking game, plus a fast paced offense that can keep them guessing.
    Besides that maybe Strong will show us something in pregame warm ups (2 weeks in a row?).

17. Johnnycat
    10:52 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

As my blue blood boils over this thought in my head it is true. Louisville is going to kick our ass. Take Teddy out they can still do it. But why worry about football anyways. It’s almost time for basketball and jesus’s team has some revenge to get on Robbie morris for our players that played last year.

18. Michael Vick says
    11:07 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Get off to a fast start (minus the backward pass) and keep them on their heels like I did the first half Monday night. Seriously, if we can surprise them early then maybe they get tight on the road.

19. GPA
    11:08 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Best way to stop Louisville ……math problems

20. Thundercats-hooooo
    11:31 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Something struck me today when I was thinking about if we do pull of a win Saturday, and I do think we have a decent chance I might add. If we win then the Western KY fans will think they are the #1 team in the state. Funny and a little disturbing.

21. Bob
    12:03 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

#10 I hope Lowery leaves his car at home and Sanders does not start smoking the grass on the field…

22. Rob
    2:28 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I know it will be a hard long day for our CATS, but i remember when #1 LSU rolled in here and we beat them. Everyone remember that? Yes it will be a long shot, containing Bridgewater is all but impossible, but there is always a chance that they come in here thinking they can’t be beat, and we sneak out a win. Will it happen? i doubt it, but there is always a chance, and i’m holding onto that little bit of a chance all i can. lol..Go cats, beat the cards, and then you can lose every game after that, and i won’t even get mad… 🙂

23. badonkadonk
    6:53 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

@ GPA – that just made me spit out my coffee!! Thanks!!

24. BluKudzu
    7:02 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

However unlikely securing a victory from the #8 U of L Cardinals may be, we can still hope. I hope our guys bring more to the game than we have seen thus far, as it will require our team to be much more physical and disciplined than they have shown. Louisville brings their best team ever to Commonwealth, and they intend to leave trying to move up in the ranks.

In the past years, I would promise there existed no hope, due to the administration and staff for football, but now I see some reason to have hope. Bring it Saturday Cats! Give them a fight they will never forget, and never, ever back down. BBN, The Blue World Order, Rise Up! Support our young men out there. We Are UK!

25. oilliecat
    7:42 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Pressure on Teddy ugot to pressure him remember?

26. RC
    9:02 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

UofL is very likely going to curb-stomp our Cats on Saturday. I don’t mean by a little, either. I mean by one of those Gawd-awful-ugly scores of 35-0 or 42-3. Kind of like LSU, FL and Bama did to us in the past.

And speaking of LSU, Rob, this Kentucky football team bears ZERO resemblance to the one that shocked LSU in 2007. That year our #17 ranked Cats featured a dozen or more future NFL players. This year’s squad of kittens features maybe 2. Maybe.

Louisville could come in completely over-confident and let us hang around for 3 quarters- but even then our Cats simply don’t have the players to beat the Cards. Buckle up for the first week of a very, very long and ugly schedule.

27. Jim
    10:39 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

There is always hope, it’s not totally impossible, it’s college football where anything can happen, and if everyone is true football fans, then you know this. It wouldn’t be the wildest thing to ever happen, not even in the top 100 if UK could pull it off..Last week UK look alot what i expected for them to look like in week 1, i know Miami OH was/is a god awful team, but if UK picks it up just a little more on offense, plus play faster than they’ve played in the first 2 games, and the Defense can get to bridgewater then who knows..I know it’s a longshot, hell who doesn’t but i’m not giving up just yet, that’s for the bandwagon fans..Goodluck and Go Get em’ Cats…