Building a psyche of success

Video by the Beez

By now, we have dissected UK’s disappointing loss to Western in a million ways, but before we move on, I want to share my two cents on one of the most disturbing things from Saturday: the team’s attitude. In his postgame press conference, Mark Stoops noted that his team didn’t seem quite as excited in the tunnel before the game as he thought they would:

“I wanted to see more excitement out of our team. I’ve talked about that a little bit. I wanted to see (that). Normally, you’re trying to calm guys down a little bit before games and before scrimmages, and there’s a fine line there. Like I said before, I don’t want that being fake. I want it being real.”

Thomas Beisner actually got a video of the team in the tunnel before they headed out, which you can see above. I think it’s interesting how Stoops and (I think) Derrick Ansley are trying to get the team even more pumped up before they ran onto the field. This was the first game of a new era for Kentucky. A fresh start. But judging from their demeanor before the game (even during the CatWalk, Za’Darius Smith seemed to be the only player happy and smiling), something was off. Bud Dupree said after the game that he thought the team was overconfident at the start of the game, and once Western came out of the gates firing, a feeling of dread set in:

“Everyone probably had that thought in their head, ‘Oh no, here we go again against Western Kentucky.’ We should have just played the way we have been practicing — like we prepared for the last two weeks. We really didn’t do that, so it’s our fault.”

Stoops has talked at length about rebuilding the team’s confidence from last season. I think Saturday showed us that might be a work in progress.

19 Comments for Building a psyche of success

1. UpperSectionStudent
    10:42 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

Good read. Mentality and attitude are the most important factors when trying to accomplish anything.

2. YEAROFTHECARDINAL says
    10:44 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

Keep your heads up guys. You will get a W next week.

3. RealTalkk
    10:48 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

That is one of the most disappointing things that I’ve seen yet. Why are our guys not enthusiastic about the first game at all??? I don’t care if we’re playing Sam Houston State, they should be ready to give ANY opponent their best shot! SMH

4. BluKudzu
    10:54 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

2-10. Western and Louisville is our daddy. Humiliating beat downs coming in the SEC. Yeah, no excuses, here we go again, and again, and again, and again……..UK football chose not to compete, chose to just give up. This is not an SEC team. We are not even a sunbelt team, we will find out if we will be competitive with the worst of the MAC. I think UK will struggle to compete against Miami.

The players expect the fans to be positive and supportive to BS and hype. Do something on the field to make us proud. Anything. Really.

The players giving up after the first series. Really?

My grandmother had more courage and pride.

I could have gone all year without reading about players not motivated, and quitting.

5. classof68
    11:01 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

I know this team has little talent, but now I’m wondering if they have any intellect. How in the world could they feel over confident going into that game? Duh.

6. bluetooth
    11:07 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

good take tt . I know it was a bitter pill for all of us to take . geez wku ? hopefully this was a good learning tool for the team and coach stoops and staff . a baffling game to watch . lets move forward and crank it up guys .

7. Finally the reason we lost
    11:07 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

A losing culture is difficult to turn around. Stoops toughest job is changing the guys mentally. It is really difficult to coach desire

8. Baffling
    11:22 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

Losing culture or not, if these guys had one ounce of pride, they would have come out of that tunnel like rabid hyenas! OVER FRICKIN’ CONFIDENT?!? How can a team coming off a 2-10 season that lost to this same team last year be overconfident? That has just p!ssed me off all over again. ugh. I suggest Stoops hire a spy to plant some weed and mushrooms in the lockers of about 30 upperclassmen, clean house, shelf the whole damn program until 2015 and start over.

9. Lifelong fan
    11:31 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

I think the players sometimes forget there are a ton of folks that would love to have been blessed with the ability to be good enough to play college ball. And that, even if dress all four years you will only get about 50 chances to run out that tunnel. All that work all your life for 50 chances. They should be pumped and enjoy every single one of them, because many folks would love to do it just once.

10. Bob the Replier
    11:41 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

In the military we have a saying that there is no such thing as false motivation. If you act motivated you are motivated. It seems to me that some of Joker’s guys know their days a limited and will be replaced by younger better players next year and therefor aren’t putting in the effort. I suggest they do everyone a favor and just quit the team right now.

11. Troy
    11:45 am September 2, 2013 Permalink

How are they EVER going to gain confidence when you look at the schedule ahead? Not going to happen.

12. Matt Jones
    12:29 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Sorry for not doing a live show but it is that time of the month

13. msnthrop
    12:50 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

They look fired up to me in that video…what would a more excited team look like?

14. Bob Williams
    12:58 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Dupree is the same player who was totally fooled & out of position on the 2 point conversion by WKU to win last year’s game. UK football players should NEVER be over confident!

15. You're wrong
    2:14 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

That’s not Derrick Ansley jumping around trying to get the team pumped. It’s assistant strength and conditioning coach Rafael. Please pay more attention to detail, you guys have talked out of your ass a lot thus far when it comes to football coverage. Still a fan of the site and everybody who contributes, but its been hard to read anything football related because there’s always something that is incorrect.

16. WestWorld
    2:22 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Maybe I’m missing something on the video but to suggest they weren’t emotional enough from this video, seems like a stretch.

17. Coach Durbin
    4:25 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Completely agree 16. Revisionist history. To read anything into that video is silly

18. Uncoached
    4:31 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

Coach Stoops just took a page from Coach Cals playbook and put the loss on his players.

19. Tampa Satchel
    4:37 pm September 2, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure how anyone other than a psychic can glean anything from the players’ minds from that video. Please explain to me why they didn’t look excited to play. I take the coaches’ words for it, but I see nothing confirming it in that video.