Bud Dupree wants his defense to play like savages

Bud Dupree

Merriam Webster describes a “savage” as one “not domesticated or under human control.” Untamed, fierce, ferocious. Malicious, wild, uncultivated.

Kentucky senior defensive end Bud Dupree describes a savage as someone who will “do anything when he’s hungry.” Dupree adheres to that mentality so much that he writes the word on his wrist tape every single day before practice. “It’s just a mentality you’ve gotta have on the field, on defense, and all football players in general,” Dupree says. “A savage does anything when he’s hungry.”

Getting everyone to play like a savage has been Bud’s priority since last season. With Avery Williamson, previously the heart and soul of the Kentucky defense, off to the NFL, Dupree has taken over leadership of the unit, a role he wanted so much he passed on the chance to go to the league himself. Dupree had enough interest from NFL teams after last season to make the jump, but decided to come back to school to improve his stock and help the program get to the next level. “I’ve gotta be a leader, just to make sure that my team is on the same page and everyone’s trying to win,” Dupree told me last week. “Everyone’s really now all in. That’s been my role, just to get everyone on the same page.”

So far, so good. Dupree says that his defensive line is getting better everyday, and is working towards the goal of being “one of the best D-lines in the league.” Dupree says that progress extends to the team as a whole, who he says is “way ahead” of where they were last spring, mainly because they know the staff and their roles better.

“The difference is people really didn’t know their roles on the team, and now, the coaches know who to put in positions to make plays. Now, people really know what their job is as a team, and to only do their job, which will benefit the team in the long run.”

Stoops, the staff, and his fellow players describe Dupree as a “freak,” a moniker he welcomes, and attributes to hard work in the weight room. Dupree said he and High Performance Coach Erik Korem focused on maximizing his explosion in the offseason, and the results are indisputable. “It has paid off for me this spring and it’ll pay off for me this season. I’ve just gotta keep grinding and getting better everyday.”

In fact, Dupree says that part of being a leader was instilling that drive in the rest of the team in the weight room, something that wasn’t there last season:

“We competed every day this offseason. One thing I’ve said we didn’t do last year was I made sure everyone competed in the weight room during drills, so we always competed. That plays a big role in getting everyone ready for the situation we’re in and rebuilding this program.”

Dupree’s savage mentality is also contagious. While Dupree says he’s been writing the word on his wrist tape for over a year, the defense is now adopting it as their motto, saying it before every practice. “I’ve been saying it for a while now, but I guess it just got put out there,” Dupree laughed. “We say it everyday in practice and make sure we go by it. Once you get a mentality of a savage, you’re hard to stop because you will do anything to get what you want.”

20 Comments for Bud Dupree wants his defense to play like savages

1. Hungry
    9:39 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

I think he meant “sausages”, not savages.

• You'reNotFunny
      9:46 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

You’re Not Funny.

• Buds
      10:07 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

I doubt you would say that to his face?

• Hungry
      8:37 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

If I said it to his face, do you think he would understand me?

• UKfan
      10:45 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Dupree could tear your links…errr limbs off sausage.

2. Billy Ray
    10:32 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

If we gird up out loins and have a can do attitude, I think we can win 3 games this year.

• KYStout
      10:39 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

I agree, the cards can win 3 games this year.

3. blake
    10:46 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

Let’s talk about what we are all thinking about rite now…when in the hell are the twins gonna announce? KSR hasn’t even hardly posted anything about the decision…leads me to believe. …nothing!

• ScottyB
      11:00 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

You can’t post what you don’t know!

• Catgrad7072
      7:22 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

ScottyB. That’s never stopped KSR before!

4. ScottyB
    10:59 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

….and you can tell everybody….I,m the man, I’m the man, I’m the man…….
    Don’t **** with Bud!

5. BiffSwitters
    11:58 pm April 24, 2014 Permalink

Well %$&* all the neigh-sayers! I love it! I wanna see SAVAGE defense! That’s what puts fear into opponents! Not dirty, not even close…more the kind of players that all sniff da air wanting a pick or a chance to make the hardest of defensive plays…a solid open field tackle. AJ Stamps! I can’t wait to see you do your thing on the gridiron! The those kind of players all comprising a unit…a defensive unit…that smells blood and puts the fear of the Almighty into the opposing running backs, quarterbacks, tight ends, wide receivers, and linemen…everyone all pissing down they legs.

In short…I like Defense!

Go Stoops!!! Go CATS!!!

6. Kat308
    12:11 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Water sucks it really really sucks!

7. Cal's Coffin
    12:31 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

In the voice of Forrest Gump, “I may not be a smart man, but I know what a troll is Jenny”.

It has become more and more apparent that fans of other teams have nothing better to do but to troll our sites and mouth off and say things to upset the BBN. I refuse to respond directly to these trolls comments as that is what they are wanting, attention. My observations concerning the trolls.

1. You trolls must be very lonely and yearning for attention and/or company. Why else would you invade a fan base that you claim to hate and most certainly hates you or at least feels sorry for you. My advice to you. Close the Playboy, take your hand off your wanker, walk up the stairs (out of your basement), tell mamma goodbye, and go out in public. Get a girlfriend, get a hobby, hang out out the police department and try to get autographs of your favorite players. Do something!!!! Here is a grand idea. Do something to LAY your claim to fame. Try for something that last longer than 15 seconds.

2. If your main pleasure in life is to hang out on sites of fans you claim to hate, you are seriously a pathetic individual. If your main goal in life is to piss people off, that says a lot about you. You seriously need something meaningful in your life. Get a job, get religion, get a girlfriend, get on some mind altering drug, get lost.

3. I post these things, not to upset you. I am genuinely concerned for you. You need help. You come here to piss us off, but in my case it does the opposite. It proves how much bigger and better BBN is that your fan base. Why else would you be here.

In conclusion I take back everything above. It just dawned on me that it is because you are so pathetic that you come here. You want to rub shoulders with greatness. You want to be a part of something as special as BBN. You come here because it adds meaning to your life. If trolling our sites is what it takes to make you feel like someone, welcome aboard. Come back every day. As long as you are here and trolling, it i will be a constant reminder that what we have, others want.

8. old wooden ship
    12:59 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

First time I’ve ever been moderated! It wasn’t that vicious, and there were no obscenities. …haha

9. Casper
    2:13 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Bud is right, they should play like savages.
    Because we are stuck in the toughest conference
    on the planet.

10. GC
    8:23 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

Our conference is more competitive than some divisions of the NFL and this is tough for us. We have a staff that believes it can be a player in the league and its good to see this young man stepping up to lead our defense.
    Go Blue.

11. Tom Tom cats fan
    8:40 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

If Stoops keeps recruiting like he is, Kentucky will be very competitive in SEC. We are blowing away UL in talent. UL better beat us this year (they won’t) because it will be long time before they ever do again. UL had their 15 minutes. Pitino will never beat Cal again. UL football FINALLY has to play a real schedule and it’s going to be fun to watch that house of “cards” implode. There won’t be a bottle of Crown Royal to be found in Louisville!

12. UKfan
    10:48 am April 25, 2014 Permalink

I am really excited about this team. GO Cats!!!

13. uk 78
    9:49 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

I just want to see improvement