BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Why Don’t we Cheer for Doug Martin More?

Ask most Kentucky fans about the name Doug Martin, and I think the large majority of them will think you are talking about the Tampa Bay running back who had a breakout year last season.  But I want you to consider a Doug Martin that should have more a significance to Kentucky fans: New Mexico State Head Coach Doug Martin.  Why should you care about Martin?  Well, he is the only Division 1-A  head coach that is also an UK alumnus.  And yet, what percentage of Cats fans ever know about that fact.  Less than 10-percent?

Now the reason is fairly simple.  First, Martin’s time as Kentucky quarterback was not exactly illustrious in the early 1980’s.  In fact, his bio on the NMSU website says that Martin was a “part-time starter” at Kentucky, and that injuries limited him to holding duties.  So, for those fans who actually followed the program in the 1980’s, you probably don’t even know that Martin existed.  But, he also took a job west of the Mississippi at one of the programs that is struggling the most in Division 1.  It is Martin’s 1st year, but the Aggies went 1-11 last year and have opened up this season 0-2.  So, not much TV coverage coming the Aggies way either.

But here is my question: how much are we to cheer for UK alumni who are coaching at other schools?  Obviously, NMSU is not a rival of Kentucky, so there is no harm there.  But, it seems like nobody cares to follow Martin’s career.  Is it simply the idea that once you leave Lexington, you are out of sight, out of mind?  Or is it just that Martin is not at a program where people even knew he was a head coach.  Martin was the head coach at Kent State from 2004-2010 and I don’t remember fans mentioning him then either.  Does it require him going to a bigger program?  Or are we to never cheer for an opposing coach?

So, what are we to do?  Should the Big Blue Nation get behind Martin and his struggling program?  Do we stand beside a Wildcat on his career path, even if it never gets him back to Kentucky?  I argue absolutely, unless he goes to Louisville.  But some may disagree.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

11 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Why Don’t we Cheer for Doug Martin More?

1. youknow
    9:07 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Yes, cheer and follow every Alumnus who does anything. As the head coach of a middle school football team that has started out 2-0 this season, everyone should cheer me too….

2. Duuuuuude
    9:19 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I was a student at UK in the 80’s and cannot say I ever heard of this guy. Wish there were more UK alums at this level. I hope he is so successful that he becomes head coach at Alabama. Successful alumni are always good for UK.

3. Myboyblue
    9:27 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure people would cheer for them if they knew where doug came from.

4. What's your purpose?
    10:16 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Why do you create these fake issues and false dilemmas (e.g., “if I attended another school, is it OK to hope they have a good performance against UK?”) for our consideration? These are not exactly quandaries that engage the mind in any significant way. As for Doug Martin, I was at UK during most of the ’80’s and I don’t remember him. That said, I wish him the best. But, back to the point–Kentucky is playing Louisville this week and this is what you consider thought provoking?

5. RICK
    10:19 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Yes, We should always get behind these guys unless they go to the cards.

6. 4, it’s called not having anything to write about and having to think of something anyway because you’re supposed to write a post every day no matter how inconsequential the question/topic is.

7. Highway119
    10:47 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

Go NMSU! Always glad to see alumni from UK do well. Thanks for bringing it to our attention BTI. Don’t know why word hasn’t gotten out sooner. Did we play Kent State during his tenure? It seems like that would’ve been a storyline. Good luck Coach Martin.

8. Mike Casey should be in the rafters
    10:53 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

I remember Doug but barely. In any case, why wouldn’t we cheer for an alum?

9. Logan
    11:19 am September 10, 2013 Permalink

If he was from the state it would be different. An alumnus will not carry as much weight because not everyone in the state went to UK. Are the people who are grads of WKU who are fans of UK supposed to pull for this guy?

10. Travis ford
    2:18 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

Do I not count?

11. The Hurricane
    2:45 pm September 10, 2013 Permalink

UK played Kent St. in 2007, and yes, it as was discussed then.