Everyone comes into a new football season believing something that is outside the box.  Something that others smirk at and laugh at and this is ridiculous.  But you’ve done the research and thought this through and you just know it is going to happen.  Maybe UK wins a game it isn’t supposed to.  Or you think Kentucky will have 11 guys on the field for every play.  Whatever it is, everybody has a big, bold prediction for the season.  So what is mine for this year?

Kentucky will have more passing touchdowns than rushing touchdowns this season

First, let’s have some perspective.  Here are the breakdowns of passing to rushing touchdowns in the Stoops era:

2013: 14 to 16
2014: 14 to 21
2015: 10 to 22
2016: 17 to 30
2017: 10 to 27
2018: 14 to 27

In Stoops 6 years, they have passed for 79 touchdowns and rushed for 143 touchdowns.  Almost double the rushing touchdowns.  So why in the world would I think they would pass for more TD’s this year?  Personnel.

There is no doubt that Terry Wilson will be asked to pass more this season.  Just how much is the question but he’s going to have to throw more.  So just by shear volume of passes, I think Wilson will throw more TD’s this year.  In addition, I think we will find Lynn Bowden will have the ball in his hands more this season as well.  And I think that will translate to more passing TD’s that are Bowden creating more than Wilson.  And finally, not only is Benny Snell no longer on the team but the KIND of running back he was is important.  When UK got inside the 10 yard line, it was simply giving Benny the ball three times and hope for the best.  A bruising running back.  AJ Rose is a talented back but more of a shifty back.  Which means when Kentucky gets the ball in the redzone, I think Wilson will be throwing more.

Don’t get me wrong, this won’t be the Air Raid.  But I think all of reasons above translate to a much more balanced division of the touchdowns this year.  I even think we could crack 20 passing touchdowns for the first time in the Stoops era this year.  And that will lead to, for the first time in the Stoops era, more passing touchdowns than rushing touchdowns.  My big, bold prediction for 2019.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Bryan the Intern

22 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What Is Your Big, Bold Prediction for this UK Football Season?

1. JoshtheCATSfan
    10:42 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

My prediction, not that bold, is Bowden catches for over 1000 yards this season. Then heads off the the NFL after that.

2. RackEmWillie
    10:45 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

I would say the numbers will be pretty close to the same this year.

I would say 14-17 passing TD, and somewhere in the mid-to-upper 20’s for rushing.

16-26 would be my guess.

But, the offense will have a very similar feel to it this year, as it has every year with Gran. Which is how Stoops wants it.

• JTHinton
      11:58 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

We make the Outback Bowl at 9-3 (5-3) or 10-2 (6-2), overcoming a shaky start (imo, 3-2 after the first five games; if we are 10-2 then we would be 4-1) and exceeding the majority of fan expectations and only building on the recruiting momentum. Playing Georgia in a de-facto SEC Championship semifinal game for the second year in a row takes the program in a place it hasn’t been in my lifetime (granted, I’m 16yo). Beat Tenn, Mizzou, UofL, and S. Carolina, ending the Muschcamp era.

• RackEmWillie
      12:08 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

I think 8-10 wins is entirely possible, based solely on the schedule. And I think that would probably mean Stoops is gone to greener pastures, because if he got 20 wins in 2 years at UK, he could do that or better at any other major school.

• mashburnfan1
      12:16 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Stoooops is not leaving. Not a bold prediction but a fact.

• 4everUKblue
      12:18 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Got some bad news for you mashbum, neither is Cal.

• RackEmWillie
      12:33 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

If Stoops wins 10 games at UK again this year and the wrong person struggles, they’ll back the truck up for Stoops to come. And UK will have to pay big boy football money to keep him, and I’m not sure they’re going to.

• mashburnfan1
      1:06 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Money is not the #1 factor for Stoops, e makes plenty where he is at and another 10 win season {if it happens} will get him a raise and extension. Everyone acts like people will just go to the highest bidder, not all people are like that. Some say I make 6 million here and I’m happy o what difference is 8 mill there. Not like they have to ever worry about money again making 5 mill for several years. Cal is a good example, I am sure he has been offered more by NBA or college teams but he has plenty of money and is where he wants to be. I could see Stoops leaving for Ohio State one day {possibly} if that opportunity did come but that is about it in college ball. If he gets us to SEC contention year in and out he stays unless the NFL is of interest to him.

• cats646
      3:31 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

Stoops isn’t looking to go to a bigger and better program. He’s building one!! And he’s doing a damn good job of it!! Why the hell would he leave if we won ten games again? That would just mean we’re that much closer to being one of the top programs in the country!!
      Let’s get it done Stoops!!
      #bringit!!

3. zoupman
    10:53 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

6 wins.

4. CrystalBall
    11:11 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

7 wins.

5. JoshtheCATSfan
    11:22 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

I think we are looking at 8 wins in the regular season. May drop a few close games this year but will have an overall great season.

6. krautdog
    11:35 am August 12, 2019 Permalink

5-7

7. Kentuckiana
    1:52 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

We will beat Florida for the second year in a row.

8. Logic_Prevails
    3:26 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

11-1

9. zoupman
    6:32 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

I really hope we have a great season. Many pieces in place. Biggest concern is secondary. Nearly everyone thinks it’s going to be bad. I’m afraid it’s going to be horrible. Hope I’m wrong.

10. wildcatifla
    7:49 pm August 12, 2019 Permalink

No doubt the back end of this defense takes a step back this year. Even with the loss of josh Allen I think they will be solid on the line and linebackers. The season will go as the quarterback play goes. If TW can stretch the field at all it will pay huge dividends in the rum game. The back half of the defense definitely isn’t as good as last year but if we could score over 30 a game it won’t have to be

11. UoKFB PHAN
    12:26 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

I think most people, with the exception of RackEmWillie, missed the gist of the of the article: do you think the Cats will score more touchdowns via the passing game or running game this year? Yes, you can make other bold predictions but if you look at the content of his article it’s about passing vs. rushing TDs.

My take is the Cats offense will improve overall with the biggest gain being in the passing game. Last year the Cats ran the ball 533 times (64.3% of their offensive plays) and attempted 296 passes (35.7% of their offensive plays). Will Terry air it out for 40 or more passes per game? I doubt it but who knows, Stoops might cut Gran and Terry loose in few games and we might see Terry in the high thirties.

Here’s my bold prediction; the Cats score 8 more offensive TDs this year and hit 48 for the season. The running game accounts for 29 of the TDs and passing game gets the other 19 (note: this does not include any TDs scored by the defense or special teams – hello Lynn Bowden). If my numbers are correct then the passing TDs increase by 5 for about a 35% increase.

Keep in mind, all three years when Gran was the OC at Cincinnati the offensive play calling was really balanced; in the 48% to 52%. I believe we will see a more balanced and entertaining offense this year.

• UoKFB PHAN
      12:34 am August 13, 2019 Permalink

Welcome to Bad Math 101. If the Cats score 8 more offensive TDs this year it will give them 49 so I’ll go with 30 rushing (3 more) and 19 passing (5 more). Bryan the Intern asked for BIG BOLD PREDICTIONS so there ya’ go.