BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Monday Morning Offensive Breakdown (Sorry Everybody)

Every Monday I break down the UK offensive performance in down and distance scenarios.  And I am truly sorry I have to do that this morning because that was truly one of the worst offensive performances in my lifetime.  Believe it or not, there was one area where the Cats excelled but overall that was an absolute dumpster fire of a performance and if the Cats ever needed a reset on a season, especially on offense, it is now.  So continue reading if you must but this entire post can be summed up as “the offense sucked”:

1st Down
Run: 12 rushes for 31 yards, 1 TD
Pass: 4-12, 20 yards

Combined Season Stats
Run: 80 rushes for 489 yards, 7 TD (1 fumble lost)
Pass: 34-73, 362 yards, 2 TD, 1 sack allowed

Breakdown: 24 plays for 51 yards.  That is beyond abysmal.  When a team can barely gain 2 yards per play on 1st down, they are behind the 8-ball from that point on.  I continue to be amazed how often UK is throwing the ball on 1st down considering Smith’s poor completion percentage.

2nd Down
Run: 10 rushes for 124 yards
Pass: 5-10, 26 yards, 1 sack allowed

Combined Season Stats
Run: 61 rushes for 339 yards, 1 TD
Pass: 29-51, 319 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 4 sacks allowed (2 fumbles lost)

Breakdown: Believe it or not, UK was fantastic on 2nd down, especially in the rush game.  They had three long runs here leading to an average over 12 yards per carry.  It helped extend a couple of the drives but overall wasn’t backed up with any kind of 3rd down production so it really didn’t matter.  Obviously the pass attack was non-existent.

3rd Down and Long (6 yards or more)
Run: No Plays
Pass: 2-8, 37 yards, 1 INT, 2 sacks allowed, 1 fumble (converted 1 of 10)

Combined Season Stats
Run: 1 rush for 3 yards (converted 0 of 1)
Pass: 18-34, 226 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 4 sacks allowed (converted 10 of 38)

Breakdown: Picked your negative adjective here.  Horrid.  Terrible.  Pathetic.  All of the above.  For the season, UK has moved away from early season success to being one of the worst 3rd down teams in the country.  Without Sawyer able to complete many passes, UK is doomed if they can’t get into 3rd and short.

3rd Down and Short (5 yards or fewer)
Run: 2 rushes for -3 yards (converted 0 of 2)
Pass: 1-3, 9 yards (converted 1 of 3)

Combined Season Stats
Run: 17 rushes for 56 yards, 1 fumble lost (converted 8 of 17)
Pass: 4-10, 107 yards, 1 TD (converted 4 of 10)

Breakdown: I hypothesize that if UK just converted in this situation as they did last year, we would have 3 wins guaranteed and maybe a 4th.  These are not only drive killers but complete momentum killers.  And UK is converting less than 50% on the season in this scenario, whereas good teams are going to convert at 70-75% and great teams even better.  We can’t get yards when needed.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

17 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Monday Morning Offensive Breakdown (Sorry Everybody)

1. sportsbird66
    10:19 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Go CATS

2. catsby90.1
    10:45 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Go cats, go big blue, go somewhere else Eddie Gran

3. BobbyBlue
    11:23 am September 30, 2019 Permalink

Suddenly we are back to the Bill Curry days, and the staff seems clueless !

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      1:20 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

We are a long way from the Bill Curry days as we sucked! We are not Fran days but above Papa Brookes days. Keep the faith I know it’s hard.

4. RackEmWillie
    12:33 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think this team is absolutely horrible, but I don’t think they’re going to win 8+ games right now, simply because of the offensive questions.

However, I do think that if they are sitting at 6-6, that they could very well have a very strong bowl game performance. Which would be a fun ending to a saddening year.

• catsby90.1
      1:06 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

We aren’t horrible at all. We have great athletes that want to win. Just bad luck and predictable offensive play calling imo. Our defense has been pretty solid considering how often they are on the field.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      1:25 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Willie agree, I think what we are struggling with is that with TD Terry I think we are at 4-1 right now and fairly easily and maybe undefeated (I think likely). Smith is hurt and my only hit on the coaching staff is why not pull him earlier. I was begging after the first possession of the second half. I commend Smith for wanting to play but 30% completion %, you are hurting your team ask to be benched. At least 2 touchdowns and probably 4 are not given up if Smith is on the sideline the last 2 games and Bowden is running the show. Now don’t get me wrong, don’t expect miracles from Lynn. Let’s just enjoy our team and understand our situation! Go Cats! I still love these guys and my team!.

5. RAGE
    2:46 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Wow after the last two performances you really think this team with a healthy TW would be 4-1 or maybe undefeated in your words “easily”???? I don’t think with those performances and in game coaching we could be undefeated with Joe Montana in his prime under center… I am all for being optimistic and true blue but man… We missed enough tackles against South Carolina to make a how not to video on tackling… Plus the staff and the team just looks clueless… Stoops said last week that we had a great week of practice and it led to what we saw Saturday a team that wasn’t prepared on either side of the ball.. makes me wonder what they practiced I ain’t saying he should be fired or anything but anybody can see this team has some problems… I will stick with them like I always have but their are def problems that extend beyond one injury… too many times we have looked clueless on the field

• cats646
      3:00 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

I think a lot of what we’re missing is not only Terry’s athletic ability, but he was the true leader of this team. Kash is more of a motivator than a leader and Lynn just doesn’t seem like he’s ready to be a true leader just yet. I think that’s what has REALLY hurt our team.

• ClutchCargo
      3:37 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Kash = hype man, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But when your leaders and best players aren’t the same people, that can be a problem.

6. AlwaysTrueBlue
    7:08 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

@Rage, SC was pitiful! However, we had the UF game and gave it away. With Terry that’s one. Against SC we scored with our WR at QB. We have half a secondary. Our front 7 has been rough against the run, we keep dropping passes and can’t protect a QB in a pass situation for crap. But if we can throw and complete a pass then the run game gets easier. The defense is off of the field more and fresher. After all they haven’t been responsible for 2 and really 4 scores if you count the UF fumble and pick by Smith. That’s 24 points of 84 points off the board. I’m frustrated and will support my team but it’s not as bad as it seems. Now the Steelers they suck, my second favorite team!!

7. RAGE
    8:06 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

I see your points but I don’t think TW being hurt has been the reason for our losses… in a season plus at starting TW hasn’t showed a great ability to complete passes either… I give you we should have won the Florida game but until the TD saving tackle made by Sawyer he was playing pretty good then he got hurt for the first time.. SC was pitiful and yet they ran all over us.. No QB was on the field when we missed tackle after tackle… Yeah the WR scored playing QB but it was at the end of the game when that pitiful SC Team you spoke of gave up a TD.. It wasn’t there starters playing that had man handled our Oline the whole game… The starters were already starting to celebrate their second win of the season.. We will have to agree to disagree…. I ain’t saying TW couldn’t have changed the game maybe for the better but I think as a team we still don’t win those games… Face it I bleed blue too but we have been out coached and outplayed in the last 9 quarters to an embarrassing point… Sometimes we just have to accept it for what it is.. Again we can agree to disagree but we were thoroughly out played by a “pitiful” SC team and that is your words

• RAGE
      8:26 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Also the Florida game would have been lost no matter who was at QB… That was on the COACHES no matter how you look at it… In fact AlwaysTrueBlue the way the last few games have been called by the coaches I ain’t sure we could have won…. When you get beat the way we have the last three games saying it ain’t as bad as it seems is just crazy to me… It is def as bad as it seems at the moment

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      11:07 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

Agreyrage too later to change to make a diy

8. AlwaysTrueBlue
    10:12 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

For the UR game everyone realized it was over after the luck TD on the pitch. I’ve been at the home games but t too poor to set on the.UK sore and we kicked their butts until their QB went out

9. AlwaysTrueBlue
    10:47 pm September 30, 2019 Permalink

For the record Cash Daniel’s father, uncle and grandfather influenced my belief in what Kentucky means! I played little league with cashes grandpa and his dad was the ump. They bleed blue! Im old and I know for a fact that my father, his father, his cousins grew up growing corn and digging coal; plowing mules my grandfather had and it’s about what it means to be a Kentuckian and what we believe in what we are. With that I hope recruits understand we will overcome persecution, we will overcome distain, we will overcome diversity because once u r Kentucky u will be something different than any Irish persecution (I’ve seen the birms, potatoes famine and I understand) in 92 I used to help our players who kicked my a$$ pence n the day who doesn’t understand why I stepped back. I’m lento. My uK players who I kicked their asses I will defend the house! Kash for yor father’s sake and grandfathers saksake u will give your all to defend our house! WE ARE KENTUCKY!