BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Goal #1 This Year is Beating Florida

We’ve said this before when it comes to the losing streak that Kentucky has against Florida, now standing at 30 games, that this is the year that we get payback.  But I truly feel like never before has it seemed more likely and almost destined than it is this year.  If UK can’t pull it off now, there is really no reason to ever have hope of doing it.  If UK can pull off a win over Tennessee after 20-whatever years playing a WR at quarterback with a inept coach, then I sure as hell believe they can win at home against a team in some bit of turmoil and with a slew of returning skill players.  But if you needed a little extra motivation, here are 9 good reasons and a couple videos that should make you believe why 2017 will be the year:

1988: Florida 24, Kentucky 19
1989: Florida 38, Kentucky 28
1991: Florida 35, Kentucky 26
1993: Florida 24, Kentucky 20

2002: Florida 41, Kentucky 34
2003: Florida 24, Kentucky 21

2007: Florida 45, Kentucky 37
2014: Florida 36, Kentucky 30 (3ot)

2015: Florida 14, Kentucky 9

Nine times UK has been within 10 points of the Gators, 6 of those times within a touchdown.  The 1994 and 2014 losing are especially brutal considering how those games finished.  But to be honest, I LIKE IT.  There really shouldn’t need to be any extra motivation from Stoops or the coaches to get these players fired up.

It’s time.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

62 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Goal #1 This Year is Beating Florida

1. ukjaybrat
    10:14 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

#NewShowThread

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

BTI is back….he loves us.

• Realme
      10:16 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

They tried to kill us, but they only made us stronger.

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Can’t stop, won’t stop.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    10:16 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Even though the Florida series has included a lot of blowouts (main to Spurrier), the truly remarkable thing about it is that they have won so many close games against us in a row. That has to stop.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Don’t know what the Florida turmoil he mentions is…they’re still preseason top 20. Of course, some polls have them only 3rd in their state.

3. ukjaybrat
    10:17 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

disagree with BTI. i don’t care about beating 1 team. I hear all the time, would you rather go to a bowl game or beat alabama?
    bowl game. every. single. time.
    because any hypothetical situation where we beat alabama means alabama just isnt’ that good that year. (or we are really good and going to a bowl game anyway).

So would i rather beat florida or go bowling? same answer, i would rather go bowling in a heartbeat. We are in a position where we need to improve every single year and continue rolling in the top recruits. Keep the momentum, keep improving year to year and we will reach the moment in our program here we can beat the rest of the east and represent in atlanta.

• Realme
      10:19 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I want to beat them, because we should have beat them a couple years ago, but the refs forgot how to read a clock. They are owed that loss. Otherwise I don’t disagree with you. Overall record most important.

• Booby Petrino
      10:23 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

wait…you read the post? I only knew it was something about FL football bc I saw a pic of a guy in uniform as I scrolled down to the “comment” button.

• callitlikeiseeit
      10:25 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

OR we could have just made the stop and won. Easy way out is to blame refs.

• ukjaybrat
      10:25 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

nah i read the title and inferred the rest 😉

• ukjaybrat
      10:26 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

just because it’s the easy way out does not make it a false statement. they are not mutually exclusive. you are right, we could have stopped them and still wont and we didn’t that sucks. but the refs also made a mistake and it cost us the game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

There are rules for a reason; otherwise it’s street ball. Whether it’s a shot clock against Wisconsin, or the play clock against Florida, officials have to be competent.
      Like when the Russians were given three chances to run a play and beat the USA in ’72; the USA has yet to pick up their silver medals.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t read that article as being a choice between winning that one game and going to a bowl. It is goal #1, but there are other goals to reach. BTW, I was a teenager sitting in the stands the last time we beat UF, and that was way too long ago.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Agreed Jay. I just want to win some games and keep improving. Last season we got to a bowl for the first time in a while. This season we win our bowl game! Steady improvement.

• notFromhere
      11:19 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

just win… don’t care who it is. Play your assets off and I’m rooting for you every game. Florida isn’t some wet dream. As far as I’m concerned they beat Florida the year the refs gave the gators the game. I’m over it now. Just want to see the Cats keep getting better. 9-3 or better

• callitlikeiseeit
      10:24 pm August 18, 2017 Permalink

My main point is the half a second had zero affect on the play. No player stopped because he thought there was no play. PLUS UF would have still had a play to run and may have run the same play and scored like they did half a second after the play clock, which by the way happens often during games. We did not stop it when it happened so who is to say we would have stopped it after the penalty. Bottom line is we don’t know what would have happened but easy fix is to stop the play and game over, it’s not like it was 4th and inches.

4. secrick
    10:18 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

My number one goal is to beat Southern Miss.and to beat Fla. would be great.

5. Realme
    10:33 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Just got moderated, and there is a 4 syllable word in the (innocuous) comment.

• Realme
      10:33 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

But innocuous got through. Still think it’s random.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

We really need to clean up our language; or comment at night with the basement dwellers.

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

There is no method to the madness. It’s frustrating.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:51 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I have been moderated twice when only disparaging Duke. No sense.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

It’s always open season on Duke.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:59 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Unless censored by the senseless mod algorithm.

6. secrick
    10:48 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Ky is ahead of Southern Miss 38 to 0 starting the fourth quarter does Barker play all of the last quarter.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

i think so. a nice little redemption story for him if nothing else

• Realme
      10:52 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Yes. Three TD lead would be enough for me.

7. Realme
    10:48 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t quit watching if they lost at SM, but the excitement would die.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:54 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I would childishly throw something were we to lose that game but would be back the next week…just like the other 24 years I have been in Kentucky.

• secrick
      11:02 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Like last year i said we are going to have a bad year after that loss but i was wrong it was an good year for us.But i agree this year is different after all the hype and the Louisville win. Was Louisville just not that good or where we just better than we thought.

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Some of both Secrick. We were better than we got credit for (played close games against some pretty good teams). Also U of L beat up on some crappy teams and ran up the score on them.

• runningunnin.454
      11:17 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

UL was ranked #11 and as high as, I think, #3.They destroyed Fla.State, and should have beaten Clemson.
      I think UL fans would say we were better than they thought.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

If I remember correctly, Florida State was the only team with a winning records that U of L beat last season.

• ukjaybrat
      11:27 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

also don’t forget they were losing to wake forrest 12-3 before they decided to cheat and use the info they bought on the other team at half time.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

But they only lost to the eventual national champion by 6. You all are diminishing our win?

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I think Louisville ran up the score on some mediocre teams (it is what Petrino does, after all) and the high ranking and Heisman hype went to their heads. In the second half of the season, they played like they thought the other teams should roll over for them. But yes, UK was also better than a lot of people gave them credit for.

• J-Dub421
      12:07 pm August 18, 2017 Permalink

Louisville was arrogant and overlooked us. They were at home with their Heisman winning QB and thought all they had to do was show up to win. They were wrong and it was glorious to prove that to them.

8. J-Dub421
    10:58 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I don’t get the constant Barker love/confidence from our fanbase. Has Barker ever won a game?

• Realme
      10:59 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Backup quarterbackitis is a disease. I had it during the Towles years, but Johnson’s accomplishments cured me.

• ukjaybrat
      11:06 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

heat beat charlotte in 2015 58-10
      and he started in (made 2 pass attempts) in the new mexico state game that we eventually won with stephen johsoin. we lost every other game he played in whether it was his fault or not.

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I have thought for a couple of years that Barker kind of chokes under pressure. When he makes a mistake, he falls apart and the rest of the team goes with him.

Johnson on the other hand, stays calm and shakes off mistakes and the rest of the team does too.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:07 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Did you see we had four U.S. college basketball teams in Barcelona when the terrorists hit. Glad they’re all safe….I was afraid something would happen when the U19 team was overseas.

• 2thepoint
      11:30 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

There was an American killed, though, and it seems an American is always included in them.

• Realme
      11:39 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

The news break talked about an American woman who couldn’t find her husband. I can’t imagine what she’s going through.

10. 2thepoint
    11:11 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I am happy to see the comments today. I missed you guys.

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

We’ve just moved to whatever gets posted at 10:00am with a lot of snark and complaining. 🙂

11. notFromhere
    11:14 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

“If UK can’t pull it off now, there is really no reason to ever have hope of doing it.”

What kind of middle school BS is that? Never give up. Never surrender. Never quit. Never lose hope. Get some sunlight. Leave your mom’s basement. Get some physical exercise, and stop whining or you’ll never really be winning.

There are a lot of reasons to think they will continue to get better as a team not just this year but in years to come. I don’t understand how anyone that has seen the improvements over the last 5 years could be so oblivious to the possibilities ahead.

• Booby Petrino
      11:18 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

BTI is the most negative of all negatives. It’s what he does.

• Booby Petrino
      11:19 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I assume BTI said that bc it’s so BTI. But I still didn’t read the post 🙂

• Realme
      11:21 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Agree with BP, but appreciated the pep talk. Kind of Ryan-esque.

• notFromhere
      11:21 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Noted

12. secrick
    11:29 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, I am a Barker fan and i believe he is a better QB than Johnson but i will only tell you guys that. I will never call in or start calling for him to be the starter and hope no one does.

• 2thepoint
      11:36 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

If he stays healthy I think Barker will be OK when he is in the game. I think either QB will be improved this year.

• Realme
      11:38 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Cone of safety for Rick. It’s best for us if they’re both good. Unlikely to make it through all season with just one qb.

• ukjaybrat
      11:42 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

honestly. if johnson has a good season 7+ wins. and stays healthy, i wouldn’t be surprised if barker transfers. because he is a good kid that could gets some reps somewhere. why take the chance to come back for your last season just to ride the bench again esp when by then we will have redshirt fresh and sophs ready to take over the next year.

• J-Dub421
      12:09 pm August 18, 2017 Permalink

I want Barker to succeed. I just think he’s one of those guys who always looks really great in practice, but not so much in games. Personal observation, and there are a lot of people who know more about football than I do. I could be wrong.

13. BNClay
    11:43 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

I will be turning 30 at Kroger field on September 23rd. Would be no better gift than to beat Florida for the first time in my life.

• secrick
      11:48 am August 18, 2017 Permalink

Here’s wishing you good luck on that and hope it happens.

• ArmyCatFan
      5:48 pm August 18, 2017 Permalink

Couldn’t wish for any present better than that for you

14. PaulRCollins
    3:09 pm August 18, 2017 Permalink

This was an eye opening post. The 1993 game ended with a toss right up the middle to a receiver who waltzed into the end zone. I attended that 1993 game but I recalled that the game winning pass was made by the Florida quarterback who was running left toward the visitor’s bench and then threw back across his body to the back corner of the end zone on the Kentucky side (right in front of my seats on row 11). I’ve told that story for almost 25 years. I have a distinct recollection of a Kentucky come from behind loss in just that fashion. Can anyone help me? Was it another Florida loss at home? Alabama?