You know what is kinda funny?  I was sitting here thinking about what to write this morning, and I realized that KSR has done a lot of polls over our history.  Favorite UK Basketball Player, Favorite UK moment, Favorite UK coach, Moments you would change, etc.  But we have never asked the most simple of UK football questions:

WHO IS YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE UK FOOTBALL PLAYER?

I would think that Tim Couch would the favorite for this contest, especially for the younger generation.  But hell, Couch hasn’t played for UK in over a decade so maybe Andre Woodson would be a serious contender.  Craig Yeast, Jared Lorenzen, Mo Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Randall Cobb.  All these guys have legit arguments for them.  In basketball, it usually revolves around a couple guys: Delk, Mashburn, Prince, Patterson, Walker.  You will see the same names over and over.  I think with this poll, you will see a wide variety of names, both offense and defense.  It’s one of the actual positives from not being an elite program, and that is fans tend to latch onto different players for different reasons.  Maybe you like attitude and energy more.  Maybe you like athleticism.  Maybe you just like the quarterbacks.  Whatever the case, there are lots of options to choose from.

My answer would be Randall Cobb.  He is the only player that I can remember in UK history that I thought could be a touchdown every time he touched the ball.  He was must see television.  He is the only skill player I can remember having that feeling about.

But, who would be yours.  Put your answer in the comments section and I will total up the votes and release them tomorrow.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

152 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Everybody has a Basketball Favorite, but who is your Football?

1. KevinM
    9:04 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

It was all about the QBs before Cobb arrived. He was the guy who could stretch the field.

I go back to Sonny Collins, a guy so dependable. Guy was a bull.

2. Josh in AZ
    9:05 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

For my money it has to be Moe Williams.

3. JB95Jeep
    9:05 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch! He rejuvenated the fan base in the mid 90’s after the Bill Curry era (which was similar to Joker’s reign). You expected a touchdown every time Couch and the air raid offense was on the field and they got one more times than not. Too bad those teams had no defense.

4. ChicagoCat
    9:06 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Gotta go with Cobb, he single-handedly put an entire offense on his back in so many big games. Just a ridiculous player to watch.

5. Nick
    9:06 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I got to go with my boy, the Hefty Lefty. We both went to Highlands High School, I was a few years behind, so I grew up watching him play in High School then at UK.

(and Jeff Sheppard is my favorite UK basketball player)

6. Adam Peters
    9:06 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

It’s hard not to say Cobb he was definitely electric but I’m going with a guy on the other side of the ball in Danny Trevathan every game I went to he was always around the ball no matter where it was on the field.

7. Texascat
    9:07 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Cobb. Rod Stewart before his knee injury was special like that in the late 70s but he was strictly a RB.

8. Mike
    9:08 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dopey Phelps – Just too hard to fill those shoes.

9. Marty
    9:11 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Art Still was my favorite, he was just a terror out there. I think Craig Yeast would have to be the offensive guy I liked the most. He was absolutely electric but still had a tough side too him.

10. There's only one
    9:12 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Art Still.

11. Phil
    9:12 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Jacob Tamme. If the ball was anywhere close, he caught it. Hope our new receiving corps are watching his game film.

12. Woohoo
    9:13 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

My favorite UK football player: DERRICK RAMSEY

• Duuuuuude
      10:30 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I agree. No other player in UK history lead the team to do the following:

He was a quarterback and tight end at the University of Kentucky, where he was part of the team that won the 1976 SEC Championship and the 1976 Peach Bowl. He was first team All SEC and third-team All-American as QB in 1977 when Kentucky finished with a 10-1 record and #4 ranking in the final AP poll. Ramsey also played two games on the basketball team as a walk-on in 1976.

He was a tall quarterback…..If you only needed 3 yards, he would carry it and pretty much just fall forward. Check out this video and see how he towered above the rest of the players on the field. (pardon the music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zc77CqfPsk

13. The Loco Pollo
    9:13 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Can’t go wrong with Cobb. But before him, there was Craig Yeast. He’s probably my favorite. Derek Abney was also fun to watch.

A guy who was at UK the same time I was & who was always an all around great person & helluva player was Antonio Hall. He’s the guy I respect most for sure.

14. John Little
    9:14 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch, but when i was younger it was Marty Moore

15. catatonic
    9:15 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Not really my favorite but always loved that Derek Abney jr could run a kick back at anytime

16. Coach Jamin
    9:16 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Marty Moore – hands down best pure middle linebacker that I have ever seen play at the University of Kentucky. Such a tragic hero too. It was bad enough he played under Bill Curry but to be so good and so loved and then one play – the interception and then subsequent fumble to lose in that bowl game – tarnished it.

• The Loco Pollo
      9:19 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I think “tarnished” is a bit harsh. It’s unfortunate that it’s the last memory of Marty’s time at UK and was certainly heartbreaking, but I think true fans still remember his full body of work and how great a linebacker he was that his legacy isn’t tarnished – just a blemish.

• Beaumont
      9:55 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Marty Moore for sure! Loved watching him play! It broke my heart when he fumbled that interception. I guys I was 15 at that point and time, and Moore was my hero back then. Still is and always will be more of my favorites, though.

17. Matthew
    9:16 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch hands down. He was a local mountain kid who revived UK football for a brief time. He was our most talented recruit, exciting to watch, always polite and accepting of the fan attention, and someone we can really be proud of.

18. Dan
    9:18 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Not sure if they are my all time favorite but I loved watching Mark Higgs
    Run the ball. He was so damn fast. Also loved Moe Williams.
    Moe was a great player on some really bad teams. Also
    Derek Abney. If Abney got his hands on the ball for a return
    You felt like he would take it to the house everytime. Great memories.

19. gobgblu37
    9:18 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I have to go with Art Still. What a great defense we had in 76 and 77, if you want to turn this program around we need to find some guys like them on those great defensive teams.

20. Fort Thomas steak hoggies
    9:19 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Lorenzen would be at the top.

UK would be much better off now with him as the offensive coordinator. Never understood why you bring in somone over a UK legend and former NFL player. You learn tons more about football at Highlands, QB at UK, and in the NFL, than you learn at Danville.

21. B
    9:19 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Cobb. He won games for us in every way imaginable.

22. Uknate
    9:20 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Give me Tim Couch.

23. Mike
    9:24 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

The only player I can remember that felt like a bigger threat to score any time he touched it than Cobb was Derek Abney. He was fearless and dangerous.

Ryan Timmons may well work his way into this discussion.

• Alex
      10:05 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Agree with Cobb and Abney. Look at their carears vs. where the other guy you mention is. Not in the discussion.

• CatFanForLife
      1:27 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Exactly. When Abney was running back those punt and kickoff for TD’s that season, there was nothing more exciting. You expected him to house it every time he touched the ball.

24. LilGuy
    9:26 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Craig Yeast – was the all-time leader in career receptions in the history of the Southeastern Conference, with 208 catches, and was second in career receiving yards with 2,899. In 1998 he returned three kickoffs and one punt for touchdowns – dude was a water bug on the field

25. Big Blue Real Estate
    9:27 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Derek Abney! Great punt returner, AA wide receiver. Guy was a stud, growing up watching him catch passes from Lorenzen are some of my most vivid memories from my childhood when it comes to UK football

26. Scott
    9:29 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I know you said “one”……. But I don’t care….. Tim couch, Cobb ….. James Whalen ….. Tamme….
    But Tim Mastey (May be spelled wrong ..deal with it)……. For a player/position…..who never
    Gets the highlight reel…… Tim Mastey (yeah still wrong .. Still don’t care)…. Was a superstar!!

27. Jessica
    9:30 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Randall Cobb! He was the most exciting player we’ve ever had and he single handily kept the offense in games. Jacob Tamme would be my second choice.”

28. NYCayts
    9:32 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Toooooooose!

Artose Pinner’s senior season was one of the most fun to watch. He was dominant. Everyone remembers the Hefty Lefty but Artose carried the 2002 team.

29. HowBoutDemCats
    9:33 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I can’t pinpoint one specific guy as my favorite. Cobb is high on the list, as are Tim Couch and Craig Yeast. When I was a younger I also really enjoyed watching James Whalen and Derek Abney. On the defensive side of the ball I always really liked Dewayne Robertson, Woodyard, and Trevathan.

30. George
    9:34 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

First game I saw was Ronnie Lyons SR doing his thing in the sixties. Been several fun players to watch on offense and defense. But Cobb/Couch stands out above all of them. Still don’t want too miss a game watching Cobb and he seems like such a fine person too. Couch is still supporting the team and I can never like the Browns again because of the way he was treated. He took them to their last play-off game with a crappy team and still gets no respect.

• jimlowe7
      11:18 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I think you mean “Dicky” Lyons SR (Ronnie played BASKETBALL)

31. Kyle
    9:34 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dicky Lyons Jr. To this day that hit on that LSU DB in ’07 still gets me fired up!!

32. agreen0043
    9:37 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch!!! Every time he stepped on the field you felt UK was about to put 7 or maybe 8 on the scoreboard. What he did to reinvigorate the UK fan base was amazing!

33. RobCary
    9:38 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Speaking for some of the ‘old’ guys, Lou Michaels was my favorite. He was a dominator on the defensive line and was mean in the true sense of the word. 2 time All American and 9-10 years in the NFL. Art Still , Danny Trevathan are close runners up. Offensively, Randall Cobb.

34. Isaac
    9:39 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Stevie johnson

• John
      9:50 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Him throwing up the “Roc Nation” sign after every touchdown was sweet. Damn I miss those days

• Stevie Got Loose
      1:29 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

It’s about time someone mentioned Stevie..

35. David
    9:39 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Jim Kovachs has to be one of my favorite, a great linebacker who played 7 years in the NFL, 1979-1985 New Orleans Saints
    1985 San Francisco 49ers

Right up there with Kovachs would have to be Sonny Collins, hell I had lots of favorites throughout my life. Artose Pinner was another and Moe Williams.

36. David Paragon
    9:41 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I don’t have one… but overall i would say Tim Couch.. a very close second is Craig Yeast and I also loved watching Tamme

37. Dubbya
    9:41 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Gotta be Cobb. Imagine how awful we would have been Jokers first year without him. In hindsight he should have been a top 5 pick.

38. David Paragon
    9:43 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Oddly enough.. i didn’t have one favorite football player above.. but I have a clear favorite for basketball.. even with all the controversy late last year… i grew up Idolizing Rex Chapman…. still remember that UofL game in Freedom hall… all time classic. Had Charlotte Hornet gear and everything…

39. asdf
    9:43 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Couch! Hal Mumme often gets credit for transforming high school football in Kentucky, but Couch was the one who inspired the kids on the field. Kentucky would not be in a position to produce kids like Towles or Barker had there been no Tim Couch. He’s the most influential player in UK history in terms of affecting Ky. High School ball.

40. Vern
    9:43 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Gotta be Cobb for me!

41. Ryan
    9:44 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dougie Allen and Vincent “Sweet Pea” Burns

42. UKfootballguru
    9:45 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Crazy Mike Williams. Safety from the early 2000’s. Dude would go flying around anywhere.

43. Yup
    9:45 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Derek abney. Then Rafael little after him. Love watching speed.

44. Jus10
    9:48 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Andre Woodson- Think about all the interceptions he DIDN’T throw!

45. Reggie LeDuex
    9:48 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

He only played in one game but my favorite UK player is Rudy. I’ll never forget that sack he had against Penn State. Hes so little!!!!!!!!!

46. Kentucky Dave
    9:52 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Melvin Johnson would knock peoples block off, hell he hurt his own players during practices. He hit so hard that he would knock his ownself out at times. Fearless player, my hats off to him.

• Beaumont
      10:03 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Melvin was hardcore for sure! Marvin Major is another one that comes to mind. He had a pretty good career in the pros as well.

47. Waddy Body
    9:55 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Currently Cobb but Bud Dupree is gaining ground quickly!

48. Danny
    9:56 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

QB => Lorenzen
    WR => Abney
    RB => Pinner

49. ukayyy
    9:57 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Definitely Randall Cobb. He was just so fun to watch. He’s representing BBN well in the NFL.

Or Dickie Lyons Jr.

Or whoever had that hit on Tebow in ’07 or ’08. Y’all know what hit I’m talking about.

50. HDR
    9:57 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Cobb….even a better person off the field. We were deff pulling for the right guy out there.

51. Teetim
    9:57 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Love Cobb, but for me, Derek Abney!

52. 44 Stitches
    9:57 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Offense = Moe Williams

Defense = Jeff Snedegar

53. BOSOX
    9:58 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

It is hard for me… Randall Cobb, Craig Yeast, Mo Williams, J Lo and Tim Couch!!!

54. Chaz
    9:59 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Not the most physically gifted but Dickie Lyons Jr got the most of what he had. Never saw a punt he wouldn’t return and had a way with touchdown receptions. And that hit on his high school buddy…wow.

55. What ?!
    10:00 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

We play football?

56. KYmulehead
    10:02 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dermontti Dawson

57. J-Dub421
    10:02 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Either Tim Couch or Randall Cobb. Both were great and exciting players to watch, and great representatives of UK off the field.

58. George
    10:05 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

OOPS! I said Ronnie, was Dicky Lyons SR. Got the Lyons boys name mixed up. Senior Moment. 🙂

59. The Head Ball Coach
    10:08 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Matt Roark

• LMU
      11:19 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I’m with you. Roark was my favorite before the UT game, but that locked him in. He was a special teams hero for years and just struggled at wr. Was great to get to see him go out like that. If he could’ve played longer, I would have Lonnell Dewalt in contention. The Worm was always a show.

60. Marc
    10:13 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

James Whalen.

61. Eugene DuBow
    10:13 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Vito “Babe” Parilli. Maybe the greatest UK QB of all time.

62. jmeeks23
    10:16 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Definitely Andre Woodson. One of the best qbs in Kentucky history. So disappointed how his career turned out though.

63. Texas Cat
    10:16 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Gotta go with Mo (Williams)…BRUTE!!

64. Irl Stevens
    10:19 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Kerry Curling, Played defense in the mid and late 60’s. Big heart, hard nosed, and a great friend.

65. Mason
    10:20 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Ricky Lumpkin

66. PanamaIce
    10:20 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Lou Michaels

67. Rainmakr
    10:21 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Sonny Collins.

68. CheeseHead
    10:24 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

As a huge Packers fan, I would now have to say Cobb because he was my favorite to watch when he was at UK and I was so excited when the Packers drafted him and he is my favorite player on their team, besides Rodgers, now. I was still kind of young when Couch was there so, I’d say in my recent memory, second place for me would be Andre Woodson. Those two years he started were a fun time for Kentucky football.

69. Tom Cat
    10:28 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dicky Lyons; one of the most versatile players who ever wore the blue and white

70. bedfordbigblue
    10:30 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

SONNY COLLINS HANDS DOWN BEST RUNNING BACK CATS HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!!!

71. Jim
    10:34 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

For pure excitement it would have to be Derrick Abney, the best return man I have ever seen.

For an exciting RB, I would go with Mark Higgs. He could take it to the house.

For toughness, I would go with Jeff Snedager, who would run around on the field with a dislocated shoulder and try to rip a guys head off with one good arm.

For the coolest cucumber in the fridge, I would go with Mr. Couch. He would hit guys in the hands, in stride, and make plays look easy. Why did Craig Yeast put up such huge numbers? Because he didn’t have to slow down or adjust to catch ball. I think the staff should get the former #1 NFL pick to work with the QBs on occasion.

When all hope is lost, throw it to Stevie Johnson.

When you really need a tackle, Wesley Woodyard will make the play.

Need advice on growing tomatos or how to get a team bowl elligible, just ask Papa Brooks.

Most exciting season? I believe we will have our picks in the upcoming seasons under Stoops and his staff. Go Cats!

72. Jim
    10:36 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Sorry, I left out….

Most talent with the biggest heart, Mr Randle Cobb!

73. Dan McCarthy
    10:38 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dicky Lyons Sr

74. Judy
    10:38 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

I’d would have to go with Derrick Ramsey. Curci was the coach and they went 11-1. Ramsey was really good and I really liked Art Still too.

75. Haha
    10:39 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Trevard Lindley. I’m a little surprised I haven’t seen his name a little more. Man was/is a shut down corner who also would return picks for tds.

76. MrSleeCat
    10:47 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Randall Cobb. Kept his commitment to UK when UT came calling. Played QB as a true freshman, moved to WR (and every other position) for the good of the team the rest of his career. He would have kicked if they had asked. My only regret is that Joker didn’t move him to QB his last game at UK (Compass Bowl) when Hartline got suspended. I truly think we would have beaten Pitt with him at the helm.

77. Aaron Craft's Rosacea

Defense – Dwayne Robertson or Jeff Snedegar

2000’s:
    Offense – Randall Cobb
    Defense – Wesley Woodyard

• raccoon
      11:12 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Wasn’t Robertson 2000’s? Feel like the Jets drafted him in 2003.

• JDN1016
      11:43 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

May have been raccoon. You may be right. I don’t know how but I forgot Dermontii Dawson. HOF NFL football player and Lexington legend. I ran track in high school in Louisville and first became aware of Dermontii as a track athlete. People forget Dermontii was a nationally ranked field athlete (discuss and shot). Probably could have been a world class discuss thrower. One of the great athletes to ever play at Kentucky!

80. WIZARD
    11:09 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Braxton Kelly never forget after the we beat Louisville, asking Braxton if it was him that got the last tackle to seal the game, he said no, then smiled real big and said, but I finished him off.

81. raccoon
    11:10 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Definitely Cobb, he’s a great player, underdog story (2-star recruit), reps UK, and seems like a pretty good guy too.

82. Levi
    11:11 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

George Blanda, with out a dought. Hall of Fame QB and Kicker in college and NFL

• gordonm
      11:29 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Agree. so wiki notes on Blanda:

” Blanda has the distinction of having played 26 seasons of professional football, the most in the sport’s history, and had scored more points than anyone in history at the time of his retirement.

Blanda retired from pro football in 1976 at the age of 48.”

83. jimlowe7
    11:16 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

For me it has to be Larry Seiple (’64, 65, 66) who was the MOST EXCITING player I ever SAW at UK. He played RB, WR, Kick Returner, Punt Returner, AND Punter (where his FAKE PUNTS netted huge yardage when he ran the ball). He was NEVER close to being among the fastest players on the field. But he could stop/start on a dime and change direction effortlessly, leaving would-be tacklers grasping air instead of bringing him down. He STILL holds the UK record for avg. yds. per catch in a season (23.5) and in a career (19.8). He went on to play 11 yrs. for the Dolphins and was WR/Punter on three Super Bowl teams (two wins including 1972 undefeated squad) and was their leading receiver in 1969. He was just inducted into the KY Pro Football Hall of Fame.

84. Bomb
    11:18 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Paul Calhoun, no question!

85. UKfanNKY
    11:32 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Jim Kovak, Jeff Snedagar, Art Still, Sonny Collins, Dereck Abney, Craig Yeast, Tim Couch, J-Low , Wesley Woodyard, Randell Cobb,

86. sincitycat
    11:33 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

The “Corbin Comet”: Rodger Bird

87. UKnowMe
    11:34 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

For offense Dicky Lyons Jr. if for no other reason the hit he put on LSU’s Steltz. On defense Jeff Snedegar or Ronnie Riley, they were both mad men that played on another level of intensity.

88. Ken Schrader
    11:36 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Mo Williams is my favorite because he played on some horrible UK teams yet was a threat every time he touched the ball. Bill Curry just abused Mo Williams and he got up after every tackle and ran even harder the next time.

As a boy my faves were Rick Norton and Rodger Bird. They led some of UK’s better teams back in the day.

89. BlueDoug
    11:40 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch , Randal Cobb , Wesley Woodyard , Randy Holleran , Jeff Schnedager , Mo Williams , J-Load , Sonny Collins , Andre` Woodson , Micah Johnson , in order…

90. UKALLDAY
    11:44 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

My favorites…. Micha Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Andre Woodson, Abney, Cobb…. I have to go with Stevie for the simple fact that he’s with my Niners now. You said favorite not best. Kids swag is through the roof. Just fun to watch.

• John
      12:02 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I forgot about Micah Johnson. That dude was a beast!! I’ll never forget him literally picking up a UGA offensive lineman and throwing him out of the way to make a tackle.

91. NC Cat
    11:46 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch without a doubt. Best college QB I’ve ever seen. Accurate like no other, made unbelievable throws into tight coverage. And did it playing against SEC’s top teams behind a UK line. On defense, Jeff Snedagar. He was meaner than a rabid pit bull.

92. ReedyCreekBuc
    11:54 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tim Couch on offense. Payton Manning is the only college QB that I have seen in person that was better.

Art Still on defense. Best player at UK since I have been alive.

Derek Abney on special teams. There is an art to the return game, and he had it.

93. DavidPat
    11:55 am July 31, 2014 Permalink

Vito “Babe” Parilli

• DW
      12:03 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Paul Calhoun 8 interceptions, fake punts
      Jeff Snedegar bad shoulders but tough and everywhere

94. Mxyzptlk
    12:02 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

A special honorary vote for Harold Dennis as the most inspiration Cat ever.

95. James Willoughby
    12:06 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Roger Bird an All-American. Most of you youngsters missed some great players like Roger and George Blanda. Bird could fake a defender right out of their socks. Art Still is another great one.

96. Mark Liptak
    12:12 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

“Sonny” Collins. Man could play and he had some 70’s style. (picture needed to show what I’m talking about…)

97. Jeff Hollera
    12:21 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Sonny Collins on offense. He was so quick it was all the quarterback could do to hand the ball to him. Jeff Snedegar on defense. He was hell on wheels at linebacker – and he was originally a QB!

• Jimtown Catfan
      12:28 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

completely agree with Snedegar, that dude was a beast on defense!! Loved watching him play!!

98. Tony
    12:23 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

George Adams.

99. Dylan
    12:26 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Matt Roark. Got the W and ended the losing streak to Tennessee

100. Jimtown Catfan
    12:27 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Being born and raised in Owensboro, I have to go back to Mark Higgs. I watched him play nearly every game @ OHS his JR and SR year. So powerful and hard to tackle, I can only remember a few instances where he was brought down to the ground. Awesome career at UK and a respectable NFL career.
    The Double Deuce got loose a few times @ Commonwealth in the mid 80’s.

• gordonm
      12:59 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Higgs 1st play in a UK game went for a TD. It was a WOW moment.

101. LittleBigBluePlanet
    12:33 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Rafael Little was the only enjoyable thing about Kentucky football during 04′ 05′ kept hope alive so always have a soft spot in heart for him.

102. That's what she said...
    12:37 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Tony Mayes or Joey Couch.

103. old timer
    1:13 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

The “Hefty Lefty” was so much fun to watch. SEC fans also really liked to watch him play. I live in Atlanta where every SEC school has a big fan base. He is always the first player mentioned when they find out I am from UK.

104. JC
    1:32 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Auto McIntosh

105. that's budda
    1:39 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Artose/Cobb and Woodyard. Relentless

106. TJY
    1:42 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Randall Cobb and Mo Williams were both favorites of mine but I am going to go with Derrick Locke as my favorite. I still can’t believe there wasn’t a spot for him on an NFL roster.

107. gordonm
    1:56 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Kinda Strange that a site is mostly basketball gets more comments about UK football than anything including the KSR dailyshow

• gordonm
      1:59 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

addon comment: today

• Truth
      9:36 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I’ve always said, football gets the hits. When Matt Jones was out on vacation, the best show EVER was with Jared, Tim and Hal. Basketball is going to be like fluff once football gets good here.

108. JerryC
    2:00 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Randall Cobb is and will be a great one. But before Randall ever saw the inside of CWS there were some as great and maybe even better. Derreck Ramsey, Art Still, Mark Higgs, Sonny Collins, Marty Moore, Tim Couch and I’m sure I’ve left one or two more out, were all great and so much fun to watch.

109. farmer w.erp
    2:51 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

loved couch cause ky boy lotta heart damn good qb better pro than most people think,randall cobb fabulous take it to the house on any play.but I got give it to towering ART STILL single handed killed lsu and Georgia in back to back games in 1977 blocked a pass returned it 60 yds or so

110. WizardofWinchester
    2:54 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Has to be “J-LOAD”. An offensive line like mythical creature who could zip the ball 50 yards while kneeling on one knee. The countless times teams would try to sack him by jumping on him and he would be running down the field with three or more guys hanging on to him. The time this creature looked the crowd in the eyes and basically said where the hell do you think you’re going, you’re going to miss one hell of a game. how many 3rd and ones who he was used as bowling ball to knock over the pins. Who or how could anyone top this ???

111. Coach
    3:28 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Dicky Jr. The guy could make a circus catch and lay a thunderous hit. He played with the most swagger.

112. ItsFootballTimeintheBluegrass
    3:51 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Derek Abney- first player I remember watching play and had amazing ability.

113. Drips
    4:02 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

HARTLINE

114. C. Allen
    4:23 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Definitely Randall Cobb, and I’ve been attending UK games in Commonwealth and on the road since 1967.

115. Reality check
    4:25 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Imagine how great Cobb would’ve been if Joker didn’t us him as a “decoy” in the red zone. He’d carry us all the way down the field into the red zone then never see the ball again. And Jokers reward for such foolishness? The head coaching job.

• Wow
      6:29 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Not really most of his touchdowns in his career were scored in the redbone, a lot of the time we would directly snap it to him and he would score. Joker wasnt a very good coach but what your saying probably happened two times tops

• Wow
      6:30 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I meant redzone

116. just wondering
    5:55 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

BTI, didn’t do a count but you said you thought Tim Couch would get this one. Just glancing thru the comments he MIGHT have been mentioned in 10%. Definitely not the clear favorite.

• Wow
      6:27 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Nice observation bro

117. Not Dan Issel
    5:56 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Roger Bird and Rick Norton. Bird was the starting free safety for Oakland in their first Super Bowl and was the AFL defensive rookie of the year. Norton was AA and played QB for the Dolphins until that guy from Purdue showed up.

118. Harry Rhodus
    6:14 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Mo Williams would be my favorite. I had the privilege of watching him play all the way back to Pee Wee Football. He and my son played on the same team( Idle Hour Cowboys).Their best play was to give it to Mo and let him “do his thing”. As good of football player as he is, he’s an even better person. He has always had and infectious smile. All the other kids loved him…….except the opposing team.

119. Andre Woodson
    6:26 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Andre Woodson, he was the last QB where we actually had a consistent threat of a deep throw

120. ukgtee
    6:27 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Ok let’s remember some great UK football history (and forget the probation). 1977 UK finishes 10-1 after beating Penn State at Happy Valley and is ranked #6 (should have been #5 ahead of Penne State) in the final AP Pole. In this order: Mike Siganos punt returner and DB (All SEC), Art Still DE (All American & pro bowl for the chiefs), Dr Jim Kovach LB (3 time All SEC & played for the Saints), and Derrick Ramsey QB (All SEC & All American played for the Raiders). Amazing team with unbelievable success after they left UK.

121. Haha
    6:33 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Can i just point out both of UL’s coaches that are coaching the two major sports cheated on their wives. And Randall cobb

122. Hmm
    6:35 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Colin kapernick

123. Texascat
    6:53 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Google John “Shipweck” Kelly

124. Zach
    7:31 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Randall Cobb. Unbelievable athlete and football player. Although I never saw him play, I also really like Tim Couch. The Air Raid came to UK the year I was born(1997). I have seen footage of Couch in Youtube videos and it excites me to see that now we have players with that same potential in Towles and Timmons. GO CATS! AIR RAID!

125. StuBaby
    8:07 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Artose Pinner and Quentus Cumby are my favorites and I know most people dont even remember Quentus Cumby but he would light people up playing corner.

126. Michael
    11:32 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Have to go with Artose Pinner since I played high school football with him and Couch a close 2nd since I got to play against him in HS

127. jymbo
    6:50 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Not Dan Issel , Roger Bird and Rick Norton are two quality picks , remember Rick Kestler on that team too. I loved going to Stoll field and watching that team. Jr. Hawthorne was one of the best defensive players on that team, cut his thumb off in a chain saw accident, but he went on and had a good pro career in the Canadian Football League.

128. StevenO
    1:21 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Several names that deserve mention are: Warren “Clyde” Bryant & Mike Pfeiffer, two of the best OTs ever, Jerry Blanton, a NT who was all heart and Bubba McCullam, an incredible NT who once blocked an Alabama field goal attempt using the back of the OT he had driven 5 yards into the backfield. My favorite is David Thompson, a 5’11”, 240# walk-on DL who was a SR co-captain on the last UK FB team to beat UT in Knoxville in 1984. He played the entire second half of that game with a separated should that he had the trainer’s tape up. His will to win single-handedly pushed that team to victory.

129. StevenO
    1:23 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

sorry, that should read separated shoulder.

130. Alonzo Stagg