BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Does Mark Stoops have an ’06 Georgia game this year?

Not that Mark Stoops is anywhere near where Rich Brooks was in 2006 when it comes to job security, but I think the UK fanbase would like to see the Cats pull off at least 1 upset this year to sorta get that final confirmation that this program is moving in the right directions.  All signs point to UK being able to do that, especially if the quarterback play is improved.  But for Brooks, the turning point for the program was without question the win over Georgia in 2006.  UK was just 4-4 at the time and had generally been thumped by the SEC elite and Louisville that year.  And Brooks was on the hot seat, there is just no questioning that.  The Georgia win totally flipped the script.  Kentucky would win 2 more games in the regular season and a bowl, finishing with 8 wins, a rarity in the modern history of UK football.

While I don’t think anybody is calling for 8 wins this year, I think there is reasonable expectation the Cats should be competitive in nearly every game this year.  And with that competitiveness comes the expectation that you will surprise a team or two with that.  Losing close only works for so long until fans want to see some close wins.

So my question today is which game on the schedule the Cats are supposed to lose do you think they have a good chance of pulling off the upset.  AND DON’T SAY VANDERBILT, which most bookmakers have the Cats a favorite in that game.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

24 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Does Mark Stoops have an ’06 Georgia game this year?

1. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:03 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Little Brother

2. UKfanNKY
    9:10 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Might be dreaming here but I say we have a strong shot at knocking off South Car. ,Miss. St. and Louisville. God would that be sweet!!! GO CATS!!!

3. RealUKFan
    9:18 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

An upset win this year could be a stretch. Let’s just hope they are very competitive and can keep the games reasonably close against good teams. Next year is the year.

• Piedma Schwartz
      10:03 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

I agree. We first have to prove that we can take care of business against the teams we are supposed to beat.

4. UKfanSC
    9:29 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

I think we have a legit shot to knock off SC this year, game will be at home and we match up well with them this year.

• UKBlue1!
      9:49 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

SC by most experts are either picked to win the East or finish worst case 3rd place. I don’t see this happening. UK’s best chance of a a win is against Vandy.

5. CATandMONKEY
    9:30 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Any two SEC wins should be considered upsets. We could do it. That could possibly give us five wins. That is the best I can realistically hope for. We HAVE to win at least one SEC game to have any credibility.

I shall remain cautiously optimistic but will keep plenty of booze on hand for the possibility that the “Kentucky Football Effect” continues.

6. CATandMONKEY
    9:32 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

My comment is awaiting moderation. I guess predicting five wins is crazy talk.

7. Michael
    9:33 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Mississippi State.

8. RICK
    9:38 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

5 wins and the louisville game to become bowl eligible and we win that game.

9. CATandMONKEY
    9:39 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Glad my possibly offensive post was deemed worthy of th KSR comment section. A very high hurdle to clear, yes indeedy.

• cracka
      10:08 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

surely “booze” doesn’t grab a moderator … i wonder if this comment will post

10. Piedma Schwartz
    10:02 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Cats aren’t a favorite against anybody. We have to go out and take care of business in our first two games before we can talk about upsetting people. These crappy teams are just as likely to sneak up on us as we are to sneak up on teams like Florida and Miss St.

11. ZachMiles2
    10:08 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

The main thing I think this team can look back at the 2006 and 2007 teams for is their energy. Watching this team play, they were ready to strike at any moment and it really felt like they were always looking for that next big play, both on offense and defense, which led to a lot of scoring, big hits, INTs, and big wins. This energy stuck around and you see flashes of it in the 2008-2010 teams, but by now it has fizzled out.

12. Reality
    10:37 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Louisville, all of their starters will be in jail by that point.

13. HUBER
    10:40 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Great seeing good ol Drew Deiner in that video working the UK game before he became Mr. UofL asskisser.

14. Rick in TX
    11:19 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Florida

We should be coming off 2 wins. Florida, and everyone else, thinks they will be better this year but I’m not convinced. Florida will probably be looking past us (after stomping their first two cupcakes) to their next game against Alabama. I think we get the Gators at the right time in the right year.

15. UKBlue1!
    11:33 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

I hope you are right. It would be sweet to end a nightmare.

16. kybigblue
    11:53 am August 22, 2014 Permalink

Not sure why so many people think UF will go down in the swamp to a team that hasn’t won a conference game in two years.. Last year was the year to beat UF with so many starters out with season ending injuries.Their backup QB transferred to get more playing time so when their starting QB went down they had no one with experience to replace him. As good as UK’s recruiting have been under Stoops they still don’t rank as high as UF’s. Plus remember the year before all of the season ending injuries UF lost one regular season game the year before. Don’t expect UF to overlook anyone this year especially with a healthy team.

• Rick in TX
      12:34 pm August 22, 2014 Permalink

My gut feeling about Florida, and I fully admit I could be wrong, is that their problem last year wasn’t as much injuries as it was Will Muschamp. I like the guy’s energy, but I’m not yet convinced that he is the right head coach at Florida. I think injuries might account for 2-3 of their losses, but not all 8.

17. Tom
    12:33 pm August 22, 2014 Permalink

Ah, the men of the ‘Black and GOLD’ from Nashville.
    How many times have they fallen on their sword to keep the Cats from being the worst in the SEC?
    Not until they hired an assistant from Maryland, MARYLAND?, did they improve. Average players, motivation, and playing Wake Forest did they improve. Why ain’t we playing Wake Forest? See WKU last year.
    DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT is the key phase. But you can’t always judge improvement by wins and losses. There’s grey uniforms, rap music, bill boards, to consider. Have we not shown with those items?
    Down sizing the stadium is going to be a biggie. Fuller crowds. More body heat. Improvement!
    Should we expect a conference win?
    I say we use the scoreboard as a juke box until Kentucky gets ahead in conference games. Its isn’t about winning, its how you play the game. Right?
    We have clearly shown to be the best loser in the conference.
    Franklin went on to Penn State after turning arround the ‘dores’. How can we not expect our version of ‘Stoops’ not being at Florida next year?
    I’m sure Gator fans will be happier than a pig in slop, with bill boards, grey uniforms, and a smaller stadiums.
    Drastic Improvements.

• Rick in TX
      12:40 pm August 22, 2014 Permalink

Tom, did you take your bitter pill this morning?

Have a great weekend.

• DesignatedDrinker
      1:56 pm August 22, 2014 Permalink

Its isn’t
      Arround
      And a smaller stadiums
      I smell a UL graduate, also known as a ‘big box store’ cashier.

18. Tim
    11:23 am August 23, 2014 Permalink

In order of probability: 1. Mississippi St; 2. South Carolina; 3. Louisville; 4. Tennessee