BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do you like opening the season with a cupcake?

Since 1980, Kentucky has played a non Division 1-A opponent to open the season just once, in 2007 against Eastern Kentucky.  If you forget, that was the first year that Kentucky moved back the Louisville game to the 3rd game of the year when the game was played in Lexington.  But this year the Cats will open up with UT-Martin on Saturday.  It is a game that is not expected to provide too much of a challenge for the Cats.  And it’s also not all that rare for a BCS team to open the season with a 1-AA opponent.  This year, 47 teams will open with a 1-AA opponent.  But for Cats fans, it’s a bit rare, thanks mostly to the UL series.

I think you could argue that opening with a potentially easy opponent will be great for this year’s team.  New starting quarterback and still a bunch of young guys on roster who will play.  It will be nice to ease those guys into the mix rather than play a Louisville or even a WKU to open the year.  And that is the basic reason you schedule a game like UT-Martin, to simply ease into the season better.

But with that said, I think it’s not a leap to say the hype and general talk coming into the year is also less than normal because fans are not going to get super excited for a UT-Martin, even when it opens the season.  That doesn’t mean the crowd won’t be great Saturday and fans won’t watch all across the state.  It simply means that there is little doubt what the result will be on Saturday, so fans are generally less interested.  Throw in the basketball team’s Bahamas trip and I think the beginning of the season has been one of the less hyped couple weeks leading into the season that we have seen.

So my question is if you have a preference of the way to open the season?  Do you like the challenging game to open the year, like a Louisville, and the hype that comes with that.  Or would you rather schedule a cupcake like UT-Martin to open the year and almost guarantee a 1-0 start, but also lose some of the fan excitement that comes with opening the season?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

38 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do you like opening the season with a cupcake?

1. UKBlue1!
    9:03 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

When you have won 4 games in two years and 8 in the last 3, no one is a cupcake. Ask Michigan. Go Cats!

2. "Work" is a relative term
    9:08 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

This game is basically more practice for the Cats. As young as this team is and with a new starting QB (again), I’m all for 3 cupcakes to get us to Florida. By that point they’ll have ironed out a lot more wrinkles than a bunch of tougher games would allow, and they’ll build up a lot more confidence than starting the season potentially 0-3. It can only help us as long as we stay healthy and don’t celebrate too hard.

• Tom Tom Cats Fan
      12:29 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

If only we had three games before Florida. Florida is the third game.

• "Work" is a relative term
      2:22 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

Yep, you’re right… wishful thinking I guess.

3. BTI really does suck
    9:14 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

I love opening with two cupcakes. Being 2-0 is a huge thing for confidence, and if you’ve ever played an organized sport you know how big of a deal confidence is. Maybe once we’ve got this whole football thing turned around and were putting out a solid product week in and week out, then I’d understand if we eliminated the cupcakes. As of now, though, we have a combined record of 4-20 the past two seasons, and could really use those W’s. Cool with it!

• Musehobo
      9:28 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Not only what he^ said, but also the fact that if we start 0-1, what that does to the morale of the team and fans. Kentucky, right now, HAS to start with cupcakes.

4. asdf
    9:14 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Given that there is no exhibition season in college football, it makes perfect sense to use the first game as a warm up against an opponent that you will probably beat. That’s different than playing every non-conference game against such teams.

5. H E Pennypacker
    9:20 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Are FCS schools known as division 1AA again?

6. STOOPS TROOPS
    9:20 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

We will woop them and go to bowl easy

7. Blue is Cool
    9:23 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

All the media hype leading up to a UL or WKU opener was a distraction for a team with so many questions and so many young players. If I were the head coach I would be pleased with less hype and more player focus on preparation heading into the season.

8. WRONG, BUT MAYBE THIS TIME I'M RIGHT
    9:29 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

They will lose this Saturday….CATS made up of nothing but losers!!!

9. RICK
    9:31 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

UKBLUE1 said it all in my book.

10. BillDozer
    9:42 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Give me the cupcake.

The whole myth around this state (generated by Louisville people) is that a big first game is needed to drum up interest in football…….BULL – DAMN – SH!T.

11. It Is About Time
    9:54 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

The schedule is exactly what this young team needs. We must crawl before we walk and walk before we run. Pay no attention to those who are critical of our schedule. They do not have the interest of UK. Let them worry about the cupcakes UL plays.

• Reality
      10:54 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

The same people giving UK grief for their schedule thought UL was a national title contender last year with a schedule that included ZERO top 25 teams. At least UK plays in a conference with actual football teams.

12. (Not) Jerry Tipton
    9:56 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

UK should only play teams ranked in the top 10, Football, as well as Basketball.

13. Delk for 3
    10:00 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Our guys play enough big-name opponents that we don’t need to play such a game in the very first game. Let’s just get a win and let the other team down the road get beat up in the first week. I honestly don’t care because it’s exciting enough that college football is back as a whole.

14. ChickenCounter
    10:04 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

I wouldn’t go calling anyone a cupcake until we beat them. This is still UK football. I’ll always cheer the cats on, but last year’s squad could’ve lost to any team, D1 or not.

15. Go Cats
    10:14 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

We need to open up with week 1. Oklahoma / week 2 Fla. State our schedule is getting a little soft!

16. tltaworl
    10:21 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

No problem at all with it, very smart scheduling. Win these 2 and you have 4 more to go. The season does seem a bit less hyped but we just got finished playing basketball last weekend. I expect it to pick up this week. I think if we win 4 out of those first 5 home games, we will have enough momentum to pull off another 2 wins. Trip up against Ohio or Vandy and it will be a disappointment. I think the Cats get 5 wins this year.
    GO CATS!

17. I truthfully kind of like opening with UL, but if we’re not going to open with a rival, we’re in no shape to open with a powerhouse like FSU, so UT Martin is what we need. Crawl before we can walk, walk before we can run.

18. hahaha
    10:36 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Everyone here is quick to call any dissenters UL “trolls” or fans. I honestly believe that the majority of “trolls” on here are actually UK fans, but just get tired of the stupidity and ignorance of both some of the writers, and the idiotic commenters 🙂

• Reality
      10:57 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

There’s either a shocking number of UL fans who don’t have anything better to do between their soaps than troll KSR, or it’s just one truly prolific troll.

• NotReally
      10:58 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Actually the trolls typically comment daily and use the same name, so we typically know who the trolls are. It’s the newbies that think we’re just calling everyone trolls.

• Alternate Reality
      2:33 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

Yes, that must be it. It’s so difficult to use several different names on here.

19. The CAT
    10:48 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

Actually, I never want to see UK or any SEC team play teams like this. I’ll record the game and turn a 5 hour snooze into a 1 hour tape review. I’m glad I don’t have to spend money to see a game like this. The game will just give us a sense of false security or maybe, NOT (not is what worries me).

20. kybigblue
    11:08 am August 25, 2014 Permalink

After two seasons without a conference win I am not sure we are ready to play a tougher opponent.

21. Tom
    12:08 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

Thank goodness we aren’t playing Western Kentucky.
    The problem is we won’t be able to rank the division one schools in the state until after the season.
    At least the decision made in Frankfort keeps us from playing four ‘baby seals’ each year.

22. Tom Tom Cats Fan
    12:44 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

I hate games like this. But right now this is exactly what the doctor ordered. If UK doesn’t win this by 4-5 touchdowns and the defense doesn’t totally shut down UT Martin, then it’s going to be a long season again. I think this team is going to surprise everyone this year. UK is young but there is enough talent there right now to see a big change on the field and I am going to be very surprised if that doesn’t happen this year. I know the coaching staff feels very good about where they are at right now and I am ready for some football so bring it…..

• UKBlue!
      12:58 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

News Flash…..8-28 doesn’t get corrected overnight in college football. The Bulk of our talent is either a freshman or sophomore. UK has a huge mountain to climb. A 4-8 record this year with a conference win would a lot. It will take a miracle to win 6 games this year with the schedule we are playing. We will be huge underdogs in 8 games this year.

• Tom Tom Cats Fan
      4:04 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

News flash to you. It hasnt been over night. This will be the second full year under Stoops. About the same amount of time it took Joker to crash and burn. I didn’t say that UK would win 6 games. And quit throwing Joker’s train wreck years (ugh!!) onto Stoops. This team is about as far removed from that as it could be after two years. I said the product will look much different this year and I belive it will and I dont think it would be a “miracle” to win 6 games. Uk has three games they should win pretty easy. I think Vandy at home is a very winnable game. Missouri is going to be down. Florida is down. Tennessee is down. I think Louisville is winnable. UK could lose every one of those games, no question, and will be underdogs in all of them. But this year I think they have a chance to win any of those games. Will they? Dont know. But if they do, I dont think it would be a miracle. A helluva season, yes. Miracle…. no. Just my opinion.

23. UKfan
    3:22 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

I actually think we will win 5 games, possibly 6. I think if we can pick up one road win then we get that 6th win. Here is my prediction.

UT-Martin – Home – W
    Ohio – Home – W
    Florida – Away – L
    Vanderbilt – Home – W
    South Carolina – Home – L
    Louisiana Monroe Home – W
    LSU – Away – L
    MIssissippi State Home – W
    Missouri – Away – L
    Georgia – Home – L
    Tennessee – Away – L
    Louisville – Away – L

24. Bluebloodtoo
    3:27 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

I don’t care how the season starts. I care how it ends. I just hope the kids keep their heads up and keep fighting all season. I think that will produce the best outcome.

25. cornbreadmafiacook
    5:32 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

ease into it….like an old man settling into a hot bath

26. Kip Poe
    10:07 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

Its not rocket science, when you have averaged 2 wins a season for the last two seasons, playing anyone that is a problem as far as a win would go is bad news. Some need to be patient and allow this program to get back up off the ground, ROME wasn’t built in a day.

27. bluegrassstu
    11:13 pm August 25, 2014 Permalink

Opening up with a cupcake is a good idea in my opinion, especially with a lot of 1st and 2nd year players. I think 4 wins this year is doable, I do think Ohio U may surprise some people. They have a solid coach and they will be wanting to beat an SEC team, even if it is UK.

28. Rick M
    1:38 am August 26, 2014 Permalink

I think BTI sucks and should go be a Louisville writer.