BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Could UK Repeat 2002?

In 2002, Kentucky was coming off a 2-win season where those 2 wins were Ball State and Vanderbilt.  Guy Morris was entering his 2nd season as coach.  Jared Lorenzen was coming into his junior season.  And Louisville was a Top 25 team with a Heisman Trophy candidate quarterback named Dave Ragone.

Kentucky 22, Louisville 17

Everything pointed to a UL beatdown that day, but Kentucky took it to the Cards.  Do you see any way that history could repeat itself in 2013?

I love the video above because of several things:

1. Jared Lorenzen playing QB was always fun
2. Dave Ragone looking near death IN THE FIRST HALF
3. Guy Morris sighting!
4. A noticeable difference in SEC speech and CUSA speed
5. UK wins

Article written by Bryan the Intern

20 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Could UK Repeat 2002?

1. NotSatire
    9:17 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

Depends. Good game strategy for handling Bridgewater. UK QB plays well and the entire team wins the turnover battle. Very possible. 🙂 The kids play the game.

2. O T I S
    9:22 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

You are confusing Guy Morris with Robert Morris
    and Kentucky with SEC

3. bbn
    9:36 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

pretty sure its speed, not speech. just saying.

4. catfan55
    9:38 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

You left out the reason why you love this video is the “MR. WILDCAT sighting at the end of the video!” Something should be on this site as I remember the old site saying “will never be forgotten.”

5. red headed step child
    9:47 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

@ 2. How many wins does the American conf. Have against the SEC or Robert Morris? Or is that a league of orphans waiting for a foster parent to pick them up, waiting around like a stray animal at the local shelter.

6. Alan Smith
    10:03 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

No chance beating UL this year.

7. WRB
    10:16 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

#6 No chance of you being a UK fan. Why don’t you go back to ul’s little corner of the world?

8. Bobby P.
    10:17 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

Season starts off with a loss to the Hilltoppers. Then what…..

9. Sam
    10:29 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

I was at that game. Can’t believe it was 11 years ago. Time flies. It’s a sobering truth.

What I remember about that game is how our D line shredded their O line and totally mauled their QB. He had no chance. DeWayne Robertson, I believe was on that team, and Jeremy Caudill, I think.

They made life on a defensive back easy because their QB only had a couple seconds before a potential sack. The above video does a good job of capturing how beat up their QB was by game’s end.

10. 90% of UL fans in Louisville live in the projects and leech off the government
    10:53 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

I just remember seeing bucktooth Ragone lying on his azz all night. The dude looked like

he was gonna pass out a couple of times as he staggered to the sidelines.

11. itsglee
    11:00 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

Was Ragone seriously a Heisman Trophy candidate??? Must have been a light year for talent . . .

12. kadizkat
    11:29 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

I keep repeating myself, does ‘lilbrother have nothing better to do than visit a UK fan site? #KentuckyEffect

13. Musehobo
    11:35 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

Gawd I hope so, but kinda doubt it. I think we will have a better guess after the WKU game.

14. GRob
    11:56 am August 26, 2013 Permalink

Ah yes, 2002. The year the word “Ragone” became a verb. We’re gonna need to ragone Bridgewater. With Bud and Z coming off the edges, we may just do it.

15. fatkidineastky
    12:21 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Ragone was BLASTED by that line (Jeremy Caudill on that blind side – LOL) – let’s only hope that Bud and Z and Avery are able to do the same to Bridgewater and turn him into a remix with Simon and Garfunkle’s song for ESPN – Teddy Bridge-“Over-Troubled” -Water !

16. louisvillecat
    1:10 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I earnestly hope the defense plays this mean! Would love to see Bridgewater like Ragone. Nothing career ending or even season ending but just very physical! This defense was hunting Ragone and were trying to hit him whenever they could as hard as they could. I would LOVE to see that this year.

17. Jeremy
    1:41 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

UK only has a shot if they get at Teddy. He has to be touched every play just to let him know we are there. Call me crazy but there isn’t one idividual on that O’line that can contain Z. Hopefully he at least reaches out and touches Teddy on most of the plays.

Go Cats!

18. Brandon Thomas
    3:21 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I love watching 2 defensive tackles struggle to take down our quarterback

19. Tyler
    10:42 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

you suck

20. Nick
    9:24 pm August 27, 2013 Permalink

I hate Louisville as much as anyone, but Ragone is a really nice guy, I played golf with him a few years ago and he was very complimentary of UK