BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: A Conflicted Fan for Saturday’s Game

Tomorrow’s game against WKU is going to be very difficult for me.  The game truly tears at my emotions because, if you didn’t know, I am a graduate of Western Kentucky, also known as the Harvard of Warren County.

It took WKU many years to become competitive in football at the Division-1A level, so last year was especially sweet for an alumnus like me because of the bowl appearance.  But now, it means they have a legitimate chance to beat Kentucky for a 2nd straight year.  On the one hand, I am a lifelong Cats fans, just like you, struggling through the many losses but staying strong for the potential the program becomes great.  And Mark Stoops only intensified that by the way he has begun his tenure.  But Bobby Petrino has the WKU side of me excited as well.  So, the basic question is this:

IS IT OK FOR ME TO CHEER FOR THE TOPS TO KEEP IT CLOSE ON SATURDAY?

I am not pulling for a WKU win.  Let me make that clear.  But, is it wrong for me to hope that WKU can make a game of it, so as to not see my alma mater crushed to an in-state opponent, whether it’s UK or not.  I think most UK fans are also fans of other schools as well, for different reasons.  Maybe a spouse went there, you went there, your kids went there, you like the colors, or you like the USC Song Girls.  But, it seems that many UK fans feel that if you want to be a part of BBN, you have to be all-in with us, and nobody else.

So, now you can see the dilemma.  Do I cheer for my #1 team, Kentucky, to play great and destroy my alma mater, which would be great and terrible at the same time?  Or do I hope for a poorly played game from Kentucky so my Hilltoppers can get a win that would mean more to that fanbase than Kentucky.

Let me know what to do UK fans.  I am particulary looking for advice from non-UK grads.  If you graduated from Kentucky, you really don’t know what its like to see your alma mater play your favorite team.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

95 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: A Conflicted Fan for Saturday’s Game

1. dubowski
    9:03 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

BTI, you and WKU suck!

2. The Stickleyville Slingshot
    9:04 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I went to WKU as well and I feel the same as you. I hope UK wins but Western looks good too. Now if this were a basketball game, I would have no problem with UK destroying WKU.

3. tltaworl
    9:05 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

BTI, let me put it this way. I graduated from UNC-Charlotte. They play their first ever football game this weekend. If it were against Kentucky, I would hope UK wins 77-0. And UNCC finishes the season 11-1.

At this point in Kentucky football we need to build as much confidence in the players and recruits as possible and I don’t care if you founded WKU, we need a big win over a non-BCS school. Anything else is disappointing.

4. Fat Mac
    9:05 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

i graduated from transy and still enjoy watching them get whooped in exhibition basketball, but that is without fear of them winning. i dont know how i would feel if they stood a chance (like wku does)…prolly still root for the blue and white. while you want your alma mater to do well, you know big blue is still in your heart

5. CATNTN
    9:06 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Does Matt pull for Duke to “keep it close”? Now I know why BTI sucks!

6. Tommy Vercetti
    9:07 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Hey BTI, I recall you posting this verbatim a few years lol. But, as a WKU alum and lifelong UK fan, it’s ok to not wish to see Western get smashed.

7. Topper Dan
    9:08 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m a WKU graduate and member of BBN so I feel your pain. I’m actually going to the game and wearing blue with a white WKU hat. I want UK to win but hope Western make sa good game of it. Maybe 40-41 in OT?

8. btowncatfan
    9:10 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

BTI how about a UK win by 10-14 points. UK would win by a respectable margin, but WKU wouldn’t get anniahlated.

9. Isaac in Louisville
    9:10 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’d argue that a win would mean more to our fanbase than WKU’s, especially after last season.

10. TallyCat
    9:11 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

YOU can do whatever you want. ME? I am out for blood.

11. CATandMONKEY
    9:12 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

My wife received her degree from WKU. I, A BS from UofL and a doctorate from UK.
    When we play Louisville I hope only for TOTAL ANNIHILATION. I used to not feel that way with Western but some of the fans are really pushing me in that direction.

Wife wants to watch game in BG tomorrow. I am inclined to drive an extra 45 min in the other direction to watch from Lex.
    The ONLY answer for UK tomorrow is a strong statement with at least an 18 point win.

12. Browski
    9:12 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m a WKU alum, and work in Bowling Green. BUT, I’m a UK fan. That means I hope they smash whoever they play in anything!!!

13. Linda Taylor
    9:14 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I know exactly how you are feeling right now. I really don’t enjoy the games when AZ and UK play each other. Inevitably I feel worse for the team that loses than I feel happy for the winner.

14. UK FAN/WKU STUDENT
    9:16 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I am currently in my fourth year at WKU. I am a UK fan. I grew up always loving WKU but on the same hand i grew up LOVING UK. I was brought up to know that WKU was the team to cheer for as long as they weren’t playing the Wildcats and that is exactly what i do. Now, with that said, I honestly hope UK embarrasses the Tops tomorrow on LP Field. I want no mercy. As bad as this sounds, I really just want WKU put back in the state of mediocracy that we all have known them to be in. I will pull for them throughout the season after this game and even go see them play I’m sure but tomorrow I would make the score 100-0 if i could. Tomorrow is the Wildcats day!

15. WildcatByTheGraceOfGod
    9:18 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Before last year, I’d say that this feeling and opinion on the game would be fine. After last year, EFF’m!!! I hope the CATS beat WKU & Petrino by 70+ if they can. I want them to make a monster statement with this game. Show WKU and the world last year was a fluke even if the Cats were down.

Sorry, I just think after last year there’s no holding back on ANY team this season, next season, maybe the season after that….and there should never be any holding back on our SEC brethren! EVER!

GO CATS!!!

16. Will Jacobs
    9:19 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Growing up in central Ohio, I naturally grew up a Buckeyes fan. I received a scholarship that brought me to UK, and I am now a HUGE UK fan. When UK played Ohio State in the Sweet 16 a few years ago (the infamous Harrelson – Sullinger dodgeball game) I was cheering for UK, but hoping that it wouldnt be a blowout. The fact that it may have been the single greatest game of the tournament that year made the conflict worth it. As long as you cheer for UK to win, I dont see a problem in hoping WKU doesnt get blown out.

17. lol
    9:20 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

its WKU we should blow these guys away and if we dont we wont be a good team this year, we are an SEC team we should dominate any team in a Sun Belt conference..

18. Duuuuuude
    9:20 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I wish nothing bad for Western, but this game is far and away more important to UK’s future and a mere feather in the cap for Western. If you care for the state of football in KY, and for the UK program, you should be hoping that the cats have a solid victory……that it is not even close, and the cats control the entire game.

19. BG Is Home
    9:22 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I would want WKU to stay close if they weren’t such a-holes regarding the loss last year

20. Forever Blue
    9:24 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I have degrees from both UK and WKU and work within an earshot of the WKU campus. So, I too am a WKU alum. When it comes to athletics though, I want UK to stomp the crap out of our other little brother in all sports. Otherwise, we never hear the end of the WKU fans chirping about how they are superior. Even the local TV station and newspaper make a big deal of it. It is not acceptable for UK to lose to a mid-major Sun Belt Conference team. Especially one in their own state. On another note, I was on the WKU campus the othe day and saw a lot of people wearing UK attire.

21. asdf
    9:28 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I you just want to burn some leaves, you’re still liable if you burn down your neighbor’s house! That’s why rooting for WKU to “just keep it close” is out.

22. Blake
    9:30 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Grew up in Bowling Green. Similar situation. It seems that WKU’s biggest games used to be against EKU, and so success wasn’t mutually exclusive.

It’s pretty much a win-win because in the long term both coaches will almost certainly do good things for both programs. I’m not 100% sure Stoops can win in the alpha-filled SEC, but I can see Western enjoying some national coverage in the next few seasons.

I think what would be most exciting is if next season UK wins 6-7 games, Western wins 10ish, and they meet in a bowl game despite ending the series.

23. niaps
    9:31 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

After the last 2 seasons with their wise cracking remarks nothing but a total humbling beat down of Western. Cats need a great start and it starts tomorrow. By the way I graduated from Hard Knocks U. and learned more about life than most college grads ever will.
    GO CATS!!!

24. Toppercat
    9:31 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m a WKU grad and a huge UK fan. I’m pulling for WKU, but will be fine with a UK win, too. WKU has the potential to be on the same level as UK in football each and every year. A loss to WKU in football is not an upset. Basketball is a different animal. I will always pull for UK in basketball. UK has a tradition to uphold in basketball and should show their dominance each game. The passion and loyalty to UK football is not there for me, because the history and tradition is not there. WKU is relatively new to this level of football and I want them to succeed and add to the tradition they built as a AA powerhouse.

25. Darren
    9:33 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I bleed Blue 99.9% of the time, but my home is at WKU. Born and raised in BG and I graduated from WKU. So for one day in one sport: GO TOPS!!! WKU WINS 24-21

26. bti is the bomb
    9:34 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

BTI, I am sorry that you had to settle for WKU. I am sure that those spelling and grammar errors on your essays kept you out of UK. My experience has been that Western fans are even more insufferable than Louisville fans when it comes to little brother syndrome. I hope we beat them by 30+ so that I don’t have to hear any garbage from them. Maybe you could start WKU Sports Radio; you won’t be missed here!

27. classof68
    9:37 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Did anybody associated with KSR actually graduate from UK? Maybe the guy who cried carpetbagger on the show the other day was on to something.

28. tanks fer nuttin
    9:37 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m in your boat. Live in BG, went to WKU, but the Tops are my second favorite team as I am a life long UK fan. Unlike the joke many on here like to bring up, I could have gone to almost any school I wanted, but chose to stay close to home with my friends and family. Hope UK wins a close one and both teams look good.

29. Scott Baio
    9:39 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

How about you cheer for UK to beat WKU as bad they possibly can, and then next week we ALL get behind WKU to upset UT at Neyland?

30. Jeremy
    9:42 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I am a Louisville grad, I hope they lose in everything they do!

CATS

31. Musehobo
    9:44 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

If you really are a life-long fan of UK, which I doubt (I will never let you forget your comment “I’ve never had my day ruined by a UK loss”). Then your fandom supersedes where you went to school. I have been an “actual” life-long fan of UK, and if they were to play University of the Cumberlands (my Alma Mater), I would hope they would totally destroy them, which would keep them in their place.

Your desire for them to keep it close, just showcases your wishy-washy fandom for UK. If WKU keeps it close, we may not be as good as we hope. If we annihilate WKU, we keep strong momentum. You write on a sports blog for UK for god sakes. Just be a real fan.

32. cdc_uky
    9:45 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

It has been an interesting couple of years. IU’s fanbase has turned them into a rival hated almost as much as UofL (even moreso for me). WKU beats us last year, hires Petrino, and now their fans are getting mouthy too. I personally like the hype that comes with all of the hate. I hope we smash them into the ground!

It would also be great to see Petrino have a poor season. He is a bad guy who is a great coach and is constantly rewarded despite his history. It would be great to see him stuck at a stepping stone job…that would hurt his ego worse than a motorcycle wreck/affair (or beatdown from the boyfriend…depending on who you talk to).

33. Marc
    9:47 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I completely agree with #2. i graduated from WKU in 2012, and was very happy WKU pulled the victory last year. For a couple of reasons, its the nudge UK needed to push for a new coach and program outlook, and for WKU it was a huge win. This year I will be 100% for UK. I am undecided how I want the game to go but I think I would like to see a blow out to really kick off the Stoops era.

Either way, I am tailgating all day and partying all night!

34. JackB
    9:47 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

BTI – normally, your sentiment would be ok. This weekend – nope. 1. UK needs a big win with a new staff against a non-BCS team; 2. As an Atlanta resident, let me assure you that I hate WKU’s coach for multiple reasons – his time at UL is only the start. His time at the Falcons – he is my most despised person in sports; 3. WKU WON last year. They don’t deserve the sympathy that comes with wishing for a moral victory. They got a real victory – now it is time for UK to reestablish dominance so you can hope for the “keep it close” in the future after their coach leaves in disgrace.

35. Lexus UK Guy
    9:48 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Bti, I went to and graduated from eastern. I am still a die hard eku fan. Every time they played each other i was always heartbroken. I feel your pain. I always hope for a way for both teams to win. But invevitably cheered for uk because i knew they needed this win to be bowl eligible. Eastern is using prettu good every year so i knew they would be alright. I feel for ya brother. Enjoy the game.

36. Lexus UK Guy
    9:49 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Bti, I went to and graduated from eastern. I am still a die hard eku fan. Every time they played each other i was always heartbroken. I feel your pain. I always hope for a way for both teams to win. But inevitably cheered for uk because i knew they needed this win to be bowl eligible. Eastern is using pretty good every year so i knew they would be alright. I feel for ya brother. Enjoy the game.

37. halobrad
    9:49 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

You munch!

If you go to a school, you cheer for it to win. End of story.

I’m a lifelong UK fan, but Saturday they will go down to my mighty Toppers and I will laugh.

If UK would 1) not accept you or 2) was not good enough for you to attend, then dance with the date that brought you.

38. kygirl02
    9:50 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

No! Absolutely not. If this was not the first game of the year for a brand new coach and the last two years had been different I may sing a different tune. This team and coaching staff have something to prove to the fans and the rest of the football world. Also, they beat us last year at home and keep talking trash. It is not ok. We must beat them by as many points possible!

39. UK & WKU Graduate
    9:50 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I received my undergraduate degree from UK & my graduate degree from WKU. Without hesitation, I hope UK grounds WKU into dust Saturday. WKU fans are very annoying. A bunch of wannabes!!

40. reality
    9:51 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

24, WKU should not be on UK’s football level year in and year out. That is silly, homer talk. A Sun Belt team in a small town with no recruiting base should never have the talent of a SEC team. Sorry to share the news…

41. BA
    9:52 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Not sure if UL or Western is more hood??? WKU Twerk team

42. BTISUCKS
    9:53 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Fan stands for Fanatic. Wanting a close game or cheering for any other team means you are not a fan, by definition. If I see someone with a UK shirt and a Western hat, I see someone from KY that likes to support local teams, not a true “fanatic”. BTI is not a true fan, and he pees the bed sometimes.

43. Rockfield, KY
    9:53 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I grew up in BG, graduated from WKU, but have been a lifelong UK fan. In the past I have worn blue to these games and cheered for UK, but since leaving BG 2 years ago and living in another state, I’ve become a little sentimental for my hometown. I’ll be at the game tomorrow, wearing red for the first time. I just want to watch a good game. In my heart I want a UK win and to cover the spread bc it will mean more for UK after what happened last year.

44. Keep it close?
    9:53 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

As an alum of an in-state regional school as well as UK, I hope every single ‘torn’ fan is crying piteously at 10:00 on Saturday night.

The fact that you are ‘torn’ while claiming to be a UK fan just means you aren’t a UK fan. You can support your alma mater in all sports, instead of bandwagoning the sports that UK has been traditionally good in. You won’t be missed.

45. bill
    9:53 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

There are actually hardcore fans for wku? I thought u just cheered for them when uk/uofl wasn’t on

46. Rockfield, KY
    9:55 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

BA, you can trust me on this one. WKU is probably the prepiest school in KY. It hasn’t been infiltrated by Ohio trash like UK has. UL is far more hood that WKU.

47. Matt
    9:55 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I graduated from WKU, and played a sport at WKU so it is even more difficult for me. Especially because all of my teammates rag on me for being a UK fan. Thing is, I grew up in Lexington, lived there my whole life until college. While I am a WKU alum, I always say I am for UK everything except for the sport I played (baseball, and I have my reasons for that). Ultimately what UK fans want to see is wins. I don’t care if they look ugly doing it or not because it really has no impact on being bowl eligible.

I say root for a UK win, and that the toppers play well. In a way that is a win win for both schools.

48. I'll Take Nope for 500 BTI
    9:57 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

The theme here seems to be a lot of WKU students/grads who are life long UK fans…count me in. I too went to Western, and if I had it to do over again I’d have attended UK like I wanted to.

No matter who they are playing, or what sport they are playing them in I hope UK wins big, wins by historical margins, NO MERCY EVER!

I still feel the pain of UK losing to WKU in basketball years ago, and thinking about that stupid 2pt conversion from last year…

Add to that the fact that Pitrino is now the coach of WKU (a decision that the small part of me that is a WKU fan hates) and anyone who claims to truly be a UK fan and wants WKU to keep it close confuses me. You should root against WKU solely to see Pitrino fail.

100-0 UK over WKU wouldn’t be sweet enough

49. Halobrad
    9:58 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

And another thing…

You left your heart, and sole’s of your feet on that hill. And for what? So that you can dance with the flat-campus better than you’s for 365 days a year and not 364.

“Oh look at us, our campus is as flat as a pool table.” Screw you. I have one leg shorter than the other and thighs like a rhino. I earned they right to cheer for WKU.

50. BA
    9:59 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Hey Rock. I love how you get so confident after winning one freaking game and continue to play and get wins in your crap conference. Suck it up and soak last year’s win in because topper your Red Blobs or whatever tht mascot is will be getting crushed. You guys are littel bro like Loserville you are more like the cousin that no one talks about.

51. YSR2KSR
    10:02 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

my (and joe b.’s for at least a year) alma mater used to play kentucky before it wisely bolted from the sec. if ever given the chance to play uk id cheer for both but want the wildcats to win bc itd b shameful for big blue to lose to a d3 school

52. Big Blue Fan - PERIOD!
    10:06 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

This is not acceptable… For the Cats to gain momentum, they need to win this matchup in resounding fashion. I want them to curb stomp the Hilltoppers! Don’t get me wrong, I really have nothing against WKU, but if the Cats have any glimmer hope of being successful throughout the rest of the season, they need to make a statement to themselves (more than the fans) by winning big. I understand your though process , but i beg this question… Would you sacrifice an opportunity to gain even the slightest bit of momentum for the Cats, whom you say garners the lion’s share of your allegiants, whom all of BBN has suffered with through the years, so that an in state, upstart rival, can take home a consolation prize? If you have any type of sack on you, or if you are even remotely as close to being tired of the void that has been UK football, the answer is obvioius…. NO!

53. Homestead Fred
    10:06 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I am a WKU fan and alum. I USE to feel the way you do, and went nuts when the Toppers won last year.

Not this year, though. Petrino is a turd and his stink will linger on the Hill long after he is gone.

54. Richard Fetty
    10:07 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

WKU had a victory last year that should have helped their
    program. Given the fact that we have new coaches and many young players,
    Lets get a overly large lead, so everyone gets plenty of playing time and Tenn. gets
    a good taste of THE KENTUCKY WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55. Adam
    10:08 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Yea i graduated from WKU and i hope UK beats them by 45. I never understood the whole well i graduated from there so i have to cheer for them excuse. I grew up a UK fan. I remember Mash coming in and Travis Ford and the Pitino temas. Thats what i grew up watching. Just because i went to WKU for 5 years doesn’t mean I am going to change my outlook on the 17 before that. Sure i want WKU to win when they play Louisville or other teams but when they play UK i hope they get demolished.

56. CATS_MSU_FAN
    10:15 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m a graduate of both Morehead State and UK. When they play each time, I definitely want a good showing from Morehead but I want UK to take care of business and put them away early. So a 20 point win in basketball is good for me as long as it is 100-80 or something like that. It is hard to be a fan of a mid-major in-state school and UK. I couldn’t ever root for Louisville to do anything good against my Cats.

57. Brent S.
    10:23 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I graduated from Marshall U and I was excited to see the Herd play UK in basketball last year but they had to lose, no question. I wasn’t happy that one of the Marshall players went for 20 pts. Marshall is my team, as long as they aren’t playing the Cats.

58. Edd
    10:25 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I would wait for a kitten on a subway track longer than I would for WKU fan.

59. Rise
    10:27 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Some of you all need to lose your BBN fan status. I hope we beat them by 50.

60. Rob
    10:28 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I went to a school with a decades-dead grand football tradition, and I would still root for UK to throttle them in football. UK is still building the football program. A close game would be a sign that they’re not where they should be.

In basketball, I would want to keep it close, even though my alma mater has a crappy basketball team. That’s because a close game could help my school and wouldn’t hurt UK. In football, everybody loses with a close game. I’d rather just have my favorite team win big than have my favorite team win small, creating doubters, and my alma mater lose small, winning the phantom moral victory.

61. Blake
    10:28 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

40, it’s funny you bring up Western’s conference. They’re moving to CUSA, not staying in the SunBelt.

Conference USA might sound familiar to UK fans…after all Louisville was in it for awhile. In fact, they went 8-0 in the conference in 2004 to finish #6 in the nation. Who was their coach, you might ask?

Bobby Petrino.

Sure, times have changes. But it’s way too early to put a such a small cap on Western’s potential.

62. Rick in TX
    10:30 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Dear Conflicted,

Grow a pair and put on your big blue panties. 🙂

Sincerely,
    Wildcat in Texas

63. Blakes Boss
    10:39 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

This is Blake’s boss, don’t worry BIG BLUE NATION, he’s fired for his comments!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!

64. Blake
    10:40 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know of any available jobs in the Lexington area?

65. BTI, I say cheer for whichever team you wish. If you went to WKU, nothing wrong with pulling for them. My problem is that I am now in the camp of other UK fans in that I now have a hard time rooting for Western in their conference because of all the smack they’re running. However, I guess if I played there and we beat a “Spose to be SEC” team I’d run my mouth too.

66. Jeff
    10:49 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I can remember listening to UK upset Georgia in 2006 on the radio. That game was not on live TV in Louisville.

67. John
    10:53 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I have an undergraduate from WKU and graduate degree from UK. I’m glad WKU is doing well, but hope UK stomps them! The most important thing is that UK develops as a football program to not only compete, but win in the SEC. They have a long way to go, but GO CATS!!!

68. BigBIgPhysicist
    10:54 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I have no conflicted feelings at ALL. I want UK to stomp the living guts out of WKU. I spent 6 years at WKU (changed majors after a prolonged sickness) earning my Physics degree, and I spent 2 years at UK earning my Masters. I BLEED BLUE and always have. I lived in Bowling Green for many years. Went to High School at Warren Central, so if anyone could be favorable to WKU it could be me. When they are playing Tennessee? I hope WKU slips it in there side and beats their ugly orange tinted hides! But against Kentucky? THE Big Blue?

As Darth Vader said…..”There IS no conflict….”

Go Cats!!!!

69. Brian
    11:00 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I went to Vanderbilt for undergrad, then picked up my PhD and law degrees from UK. I feel a slight nostalgia for Vandy, as the campus was beautiful and I met some good friends there. However, my sports loyalties are 100% Blue. While I hope that Vandy has a respectable season against most of their opponents, I earnestly wish for the Cats to dominate them in every aspect of the game.

70. tltaworl
    11:02 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

halobrad, its 4 years (in your case maybe more) not a marriage. I didn’t attend UK because it was too far from home (NC). So should I pull for my college here even though I have been a UK fan since birth?

71. UK Law Grad
    11:17 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I graduated from UK Law. I am a Louisville fan. I will take tremendous joy in watching “Stoops’ Troops” lose 70-7. You do indeed suck, BTI. Stand by your team, and let your alma mater burn.

72. DEREK
    11:21 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

A WIN FOR UK MEANS MORE FOR UK THE WKU DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE LOSE FROM LAST YEAR NEW COACH NEW ERA

73. Awwww Nawwwwww
    11:24 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Awwwwww Nawwwwwww Boyyyyy. Ready for this game, got my watermelon chicken and grits, both the album and food ready down here in Nashville boy!

74. Brian
    11:25 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

I was a student at WKU the year they beat us in basketball. It was a terrible feeling. I rooted for WKU in general, but my life long allegiance was to UK, and I wanted UK to destroy everyone they played. Including the school I was attending then. If you grew up a life long UK fan and have conflicted feelings, that just tells everyone that you’re a passive fan. Which I’ve heard you admit to on several occasions.

There is nothing wrong with being a passive fan, but no one will ever mistake you for a big time UK fan. You’re a UK fan in the same way that my mom is a UK fan. She roots for UK, but if they don’t win… she doesn’t care that much.

The only thing that surprises me, is that a passive sports fan became a writer for a UK sports site. It’s made me disagree with MANY of your opinions on UK sports, including this one.

75. BGresident
    11:30 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

Bryan, best case scenario for you, final score, UK 63 – WKU 60, that makes everyone happy, with the exception of die hard WKU fans and the defensive coaches of both teams.

76. Halobrad
    11:51 am August 30, 2013 Permalink

tltaworl

77. tltaworl
    12:29 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Halobrad, agree to disagree. Go Cats!

78. Halobrad
    12:35 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

tltaworl

Sunday, Go Cats!

Saturday, go Topps!

Well, maybe Tuesday Go Cats! Topper Township will need at least one day to rub the smack in.

79. Kenny Lane
    12:37 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I have 2 degrees from WKU and usually root for Western except against UK. As a lifelong UK fan I bleed blue very deeply. As long as Petrino is on board forget me rooting for football toppers. I will continue to root for womens and mens basketball but not against UK.

80. LOL @ Bastard Blue Nation
    12:38 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

This is too funny. If you are not all in for the Hilltoppers we don’t need your support the other 364 days. UK fans calling fans of any other school assholes is laughable. You are part of the most ignorant and rude fanbase in the country.

There is no need to feel conflict Intern Brad. You are not a WKU fan and you have no business taking concern with what WKU is doing. WKU by a touchdown, and the Cumberland floods with the blood and tears of Big Blow Nation!

Go Tops! **** UGay!!!

81. BlueNotes
    12:50 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’ve had this dilemma a couple of times in my life. I solved it through sportswear. I am a UK fan foremost, so I came and I cheered for UK. BUT, I wore my alma maters jersey. 1) It put a little money in their pocket to keep the school up and running 2) it let everyone know of my split allegiance and made for some interesting conversations and 3) I met this outrageously hot chick from my alma mater who saw me sitting in a field of blue with my jersey. She never realized I was cheering for the Cats, she just thought I was brave! TOUCHDOWN!

82. TOPPERDRAGON
    12:59 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I was born and raised in Bowling Green. Graduated from WKU. I will be cheering for UK because they need this win worse than Western. I love my school and am very proud of them. If anyone asks, I would gladly tell people why they should go to Western rather than another school. However, this game means to much to UK. I was born a Cat fan and that bond can’t be broken. So, I hope WKU looks good but looses a close one. GO CATS!!!

83. WTF Are you talkin' 'bout Willis?
    1:02 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

For multiple reasons we should want to not only win but win convincingly:

1. We are at the beginning of a new era a desperately need the momentum after the season we had last year. Desperately.
    2. Bobby Petrino will not be at WKU forever and all he needs is close loss to UK before destroying UT and he is right back in the SEC and on our schedule every year.
    3. Recruits are watching and still unsigned. We cannot afford the recruiting pitch of, “We squeaked by WKU (not UGA, FL, Alabama, or LSU but WKU) 2 out of the last 3 years and only lost ot them once.” Nothing will send recruits running faster than that statement.
    4. Regardless of what happened last year, and I commend Western for having a better team and game against us, that should only happen every couple of decades. We do not need two in-state rivalries when we play in the SEC. Its not like we reside in the state of FL and you UF, FSU, Miami that can all be good at the same time.

I will leave you with this classic advice from one of the greatest movies of all time.

“Fredo, you are my brother and I love you. But don’t ever take sides with anyone against The Family again.”
    – Don Michael Corleone

84. WKU fan
    1:04 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

You all are delusional as hell. UK will not dominate this game and you’re ignorant to think it. It will more than likely be a very close game. WKU is being picked by many national media outlets to win this game, just like UK. In that regard, it’s about a 50/50 split. This belief that the cats are going to trample WKU is a perfect example of why BBN is absolutely hated by all other fan bases. UK did not become a power over night and WKU is a team that will be playing in a bowl again this year. Wake up. This game will be a dog fight, morons.

85. cornbreadmafiacook
    1:34 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

no, it’s absolutely not o.k. to pull for wku to ‘keep it close’, if you’re a UK fan. if last year hadn’t happened, you could get a little slack on this, but since they pulled the upset and have wagged their tongues nonstop about it ever since, the only proper response is to pull for a complete and total, taken to the woodshed @sswhippin’. there’s no other acceptable position to hold. sorry.

86. BlueRedNeck
    1:47 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I have been a UK fan for as far back as I can remember, but I graduated from UL on a full academic scholarship, and also had a full scholarship offer from WKU. Sadly, only had a partial offer from UK, so in the interest of being a poor college student, I couldn’t turn down a full ride. I can’t say that I actively root for or against UL or WKU – it’s more of a “meh” feeling if they win or lose when they play someone else. I won’t cheer against them, but I can’t say that I will be jumping up and down to cheer for them either – more like a “nice play” complement to my friends that are UL fans if they make a big play when going against another team. Let’s just say I offer them the level of respect they deserve, and don’t have a problem engaging in some friendly smack talk with a friend or family member. When they play the Cats, however, I am 100% cheering against them! And yes, I will defend the Cats to the last ounce of my being when trolls from either (any) school try to tear the Cats down!

87. GOTOPS!
    3:00 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m a life-long UK fan, but I’m a WKU grad. The only time I don’t cheer for UK is when they play the TOPS. It drives me crazy when I see WKU students/alum decked out in UK gear at a game against WKU. Have some self-respect people, cheer for your alma mater!!!

88. mapcatfan
    3:01 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I went to WKU as well.
    I hope UK wins by 30.

89. BlueRedNeck
    3:03 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

GOTOPS, I respect your fidelity to your alma mater. We all have our choices that we make – free country. That’s what makes it great. May the best team win!

90. Jordan
    3:09 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

WKU Alum, KY season ticket holder. Go Cats, hiring Petrino made this potentially tough call easier to decide.

91. Larry
    3:32 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m a Western Grad also. But I’m a true Blue Fan. I root for them except when the play Kentucky. I hope Cats win by 7-14 points tomorrow.

92. JandPsDad
    4:23 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

BTI, I am in the same situation as you, and maybe one up on you. I am a grad, UK is my sports love – but my kid goes there as well!
    I’ll be rooting for UK, without any shred of regret – but I cannotroot against the Toppers. Watching the game will be torturous.

93. JandPsDad
    4:24 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’ll be rooting for UK, without any shred of regret – but I cannotroot against the Toppers. Watching thw game will be torturous.

94. Blue
    5:44 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

Lifelong uk fan. Wku grad. Once I was called out by a professor in class for wearing a uk shirt. Told him I didn’t choose a college based on athletics and I would wear whatever I freakin’ pleased! He didn’t like that response too much 🙂

95. Shall
    6:38 pm August 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m an EKU alum and remembering feeling the same way when we/they played UK in the 2005 tournament. I found myself cheering for both to the point I paused for a minute and asked myself what am I doing.